The future of world religions

Review and recommend books and other resources such as videos, tapes or websites that you would like other Christians to be aware of. (posts considered spam will be removed)
IceMobster
Christian: No
Sex: Male

The future of world religions

Post by IceMobster »

"The number of religiously unaffiliated individuals will fall by 2050.
Sixteen per cent of the population was unaffiliated to a religion in 2010 and Pew predicted by 2050, this would fall to 13 per cent, mainly because individuals in this group are older and have less children."
"Atheists, agnostics and other people who do not affiliate with any religion – though increasing in countries such as the United States and France – will make up a declining share of the world’s total population."

"According to the Pew Research projections, by 2050 there will be near parity between Muslims (2.8 billion, or 30% of the population) and Christians (2.9 billion, or 31%), possibly for the first time in history."

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/04/02/reli ... 2010-2050/
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: The future of world religions

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Christianity is not declining in America.
http://m.christianpost.com/news/christi ... 49644/?m=1
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

There will Always be religions in the world. It's Christianity that's different and makes an inner difference. It's what Jesus Christ has Already Done for us. A 'religion' is what people are doing to try to get to God.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

My gut feeling is that this decline has to do with a decline in people who identify with a faith.

Same goes for pollsters who sample the daily prayer habits of people, and draw conclusions based on that. You can still be a Christian and not ever pray, though it sounds like it wouldn't be very fulfilling.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

I'm not so inclined to believe these polls.
Due to my personal experience.
My kids have gone through Catholic schooling, I have many friends who are Catholic and whose children identify as Catholic. According to these polls they would be identified as 'Christian' but my experience is that by far they do not believe in God. They are raising their children without belief but tied to cultural ties to Christianity.
I am in my inner circle the only person who believes in God but they are all Catholic. This is obvious with discussions with my daughter over the years when she has told me that within her friendship circles may I add again at a Catholic school, she is the only one who says she believes in God. These kids who would still be considered Christiian are being raised without belief.
We live in a society obsessed with religion with no real understanding of faith.
These polls really mean nothing
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Mel,

One can't be a Catholic, and not believe in God.

That's like saying, "I'm a theist, but I don't believe in God."

It's just ridiculous. They may be atheist or agnostic, and send their kids to catholic schools for a better education. But if they don't believe in God, they're not Catholic.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

I know what's her point, though.
People identify as Catholic even though they are not. Just because their parents are or because they were raised "to say so".
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

RickD wrote:Mel,

One can't be a Catholic, and not believe in God.

That's like saying, "I'm a theist, but I don't believe in God."

It's just ridiculous. They may be atheist or agnostic, and send their kids to catholic schools for a better education. But if they don't believe in God, they're not Catholic.
I moved to my area 10 years ago when my eldest started Kindergarten. Knowing no one. All my friends understandably are Cathlolic as I met them through my kids schooling. And I can tell you my experience couldn't be exceptional and none of them are believers, even though they identify as Catholic.
My daughter has started highschool this year and is the more spiritual of my kids, her experience has been through primary and now highschool with different friends from primary the only child that openly identifies as a believer within her friendship group. She has gone through some ridicule and backlash for openly expressing belief in God. And she goes to a Catholic School.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

none of them are believers, even though they identify as Catholic.
Mel, this is terrible. what are they saying or what are the indicators of their unbelief ?
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

It's just my experience ES.
Perhaps I would be inclined to think it's just in my circles but it has carried over from primary to high school. From my closest circle of friends they are all Catholic but I am the only believer. Ironically their kids are baptised, gone through the sacraments unlike mine, but they are not being raised as believers.
My daughter Jess openly speaks of believing in God but is often ridiculed by her peers and she goes to a Catholic school. I don't think it's any different at my local Anglican school. I know quite a few people who send their kids there and they are also non believers. At the state school my youngest two go to, with optional scripture out of 43 kids from both classes 9 attend scripture.
It's really across the board.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

It's just my experience ES.
Perhaps I would be inclined to think it's just in my circles but it has carried over from primary to high school.
yeah, this is why i asked. it seems far more reaching than just a family or so... how do you experience their unbelief ?
I know quite a few people who send their kids there and they are also non believers.
this was absolutely the case even 25 years ago when my kids were going to St.Kieran's. many students were not Catholic and many who were but never attended any function of the church, Mass, school events ... they were there for the education and safety, not religion.
At the state school my youngest two go to, with optional scripture out of 43 kids from both classes 9 attend scripture.
It's really across the board.
sign of the times ?
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine