Simplicity Book FINISHED!

Review and recommend books and other resources such as videos, tapes or websites that you would like other Christians to be aware of. (posts considered spam will be removed)
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Simplicity Book FINISHED!

Post by Storyteller »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:I'm curious; has anyone else finished reading Jac's book? I'm reading it for a second time now.

FL y:-?
I haven`t read it yet but I have downloaded it. I want to wait untill I can devote the time it deserves to it. I have to say I am really, really looking forward to it. Going by Jac`s posts I think it may be just the kind of book I need. I struggle to grasp some concepts unless it`s written simply and it sounds like this book is. Can`t wait!
May be a while before I get round to reading it but once I have I will share my thoughts.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes

Post by 1over137 »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
1over137 wrote:Why are you curious FL?
Because Jac's work is important reading for any layman curious about the nature of God. Frankly, I don't think many Christians are that interested. A lot just want Healing! and Financial Blessing! and to Rebuke Satan!. That type of showmanship is always popular but for those who like to think but do not have training in philosophy, Jac has made things easy for us. Anyway, don't take my word for it, look what jlay wants to do:
jlay wrote:Chris, Let me know when it's OK to share this. I'm part of CAA (christian apologetics alliance), a private forum on Facebook.I'd like to share this with your blessing.
By the way, I don't think atheists will be able to read through the book as they'll probably get indigestion sometime past Chapter 4. When a child is used to drinking Tang, real orange juice seems unpalatable...

FL y~o)
Ok, thanks.
I would like to read it some day. Now I am devoting my reading time to Bible. Other books are left aside for now.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

1over137 wrote:I would like to read it some day.
Don't - please don't! - read it "some day"! Print it out and read it soon. Or give it to Prince Consort Tomas to read and ask him about it.

FL :amen:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

I read part one a few days ago, took a break and will likely read part one again before pushing forward. It's more of a one page forward, two pages back sort of book. Thanks for taking the time to put this together Jac, it's appreciated.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
1over137 wrote:I would like to read it some day.
Don't - please don't! - read it "some day"! Print it out and read it soon. Or give it to Prince Consort Tomas to read and ask him about it.

FL :amen:
you are making me curious.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

K, no need to keep quiet. I struggled through the whole book to reduce mouthfuls of words to make them as simple as possible. Sometimes it just can't be done. I just took your point, which was stated more tightly (conceptually speaking) that my original phrase and reduced the language a bit. I wish it could be reduced further still, but I think for a passing illustration it does the job well enough, despite and awkward phrase. Other than that, again, I appreciate the input.

J, I obviously don't mind at all if you share this with anyone you like. For what it's worth, I'm running through it one more time picking up a few more minor errors here and there. I'm finished with part one. I expect finish the whole thing this week, probably by Tuesday night. That'll probably be a better time to distribute it, just so people don't think I'm an idiot and dismiss the argument because of a few typos. :P

FL, I'm working on my twenty-third or twenty-fourth reread . . . I'm getting less curious each time through it. ;)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Jac wrote:
FL, I'm working on my twenty-third or twenty-fourth reread . . .
You need a sleep aid, do you?
:pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Where the updated version? I still read the same one when downloading the PDF at the start of thread.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Updated version up now. I think I got most of the typos throughout the book, but I've still got to go through the rest of parts two and three one more time. Still, lots of updates to that version.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Chris,
Just finished. Congratulations! Great work. I know this was a difficult and important task for you. I think this will go a long way in answering a lot of misconceptions about DS and challenge the modern church to confront why it has abandoned this doctrine in favor or substitutes that create a lot of problems. I'd say a lot of unnecessary ink has been spilled by apologists because of the failure to grasp or consider these concepts.

I'll download the updated version for my wife to read, as she'd never gate pass then errors.

joel
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Jac3510 wrote:Updated version up now. I think I got most of the typos throughout the book, but I've still got to go through the rest of parts two and three one more time. Still, lots of updates to that version.

Jac, did you post it at DCF yet? Any reaction either way?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

I clicked the link -> FILE NOT FOUND

#foreverinmyheart
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Oops! Thanks, Hana. I updated the link on my blog without updating the link in the OP. Fixed now! Thanks.

Byblos, I haven't posted it there yet. I want to get the rest of the typos out. I'm actually making good progress. I hope to get them all tonight, but it may not be until tomorrow or Tuesday night that it is all the way finished. *shrug*

Joel, thanks much. It's really amazing (and a little saddening, haha) to think about how many hours went into this. It wasn't just the time writing it. It was the time doing the initial research and writing the initial thesis. I literally have about four years of my life (and more if you include my undergraduate philosophical and theological studies) in those 57,000 words . . . 116 pages of single spaced MSWord print. Yikes! What really surprises me is that your wife would be interested at all. Mine couldn't care less. :lol:
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Thanks Jac.

FL, it is now on my iPad - first step.

#foreverinmyheart
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

1over137 wrote:FL, it is now on my iPad - first step.
I didn't know they had iPads in Slobovia That's great! :ebiggrin: You, as a physicist, will certainly appreciate it!

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +