Two books recommended to understand Islam

Review and recommend books and other resources such as videos, tapes or websites that you would like other Christians to be aware of. (posts considered spam will be removed)
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:27 am

Two books recommended to understand Islam

Postby Christian2 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:50 am

"Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: A Devout Muslim Encounters Christianity" by Nabeel Qureshi

http://www.amazon.com/Seeking-Allah-Fin ... ding+Jesus

"What Every Christian Needs to Know About the Qur'an"

http://www.amazon.com/Every-Christia...bout+the+Quran

The author is quite knowledgeable about Islam and knows Arabic. He has debated Muslims. I have debated Muslims for many years now on discussion boards and we agree on many things.

If you don't know much about Islam, the Qur'an or Muhammad, these books are a good place to start learning.

User avatar
jlay
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3616
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:47 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Two books recommended to understand Islam

Postby jlay » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:14 am

Christian2 wrote:"Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: A Devout Muslim Encounters Christianity" by Nabeel Qureshi

http://www.amazon.com/Seeking-Allah-Fin ... ding+Jesus

"What Every Christian Needs to Know About the Qur'an"

http://www.amazon.com/Every-Christia...bout+the+Quran

The author is quite knowledgeable about Islam and knows Arabic. He has debated Muslims. I have debated Muslims for many years now on discussion boards and we agree on many things.

If you don't know much about Islam, the Qur'an or Muhammad, these books are a good place to start learning.

Nabeel is touring with Ravi Zacharias (RZIM) at the moment. The book is on my reading list. Reading "Beyond Opinion" at the moment.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious

Christian2
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:27 am

Re: Two books recommended to understand Islam

Postby Christian2 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:43 am

jlay wrote:
Christian2 wrote:"Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: A Devout Muslim Encounters Christianity" by Nabeel Qureshi

http://www.amazon.com/Seeking-Allah-Fin ... ding+Jesus

"What Every Christian Needs to Know About the Qur'an"

http://www.amazon.com/Every-Christia...bout+the+Quran

The author is quite knowledgeable about Islam and knows Arabic. He has debated Muslims. I have debated Muslims for many years now on discussion boards and we agree on many things.

If you don't know much about Islam, the Qur'an or Muhammad, these books are a good place to start learning.

Nabeel is touring with Ravi Zacharias (RZIM) at the moment. The book is on my reading list. Reading "Beyond Opinion" at the moment.


Nabeel has some "high name" supporters, such as Ravi Zacharias.

What is "Beyond Opinion" about?

User avatar
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3280
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:13 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Contact:

Re: Two books recommended to understand Islam

Postby neo-x » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:47 am

If you really want to understand and learn about islam, then read it at their source, not from someone who converted.
People treat facts as relevant more when the facts tend to support their opinions. When the facts are against their opinions, they don't necessarily deny the facts, but they say the facts are less relevant or insignificant. This is ofcourse because believing things that make you feel comfortable, takes a priority. And I think that should not be the case if one is after truth.

http://johnadavid.wordpress.com

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 18094
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: Two books recommended to understand Islam

Postby RickD » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:43 pm

neo-x wrote:If you really want to understand and learn about islam, then read it at their source, not from someone who converted.

Because people who were once Muslims can't teach about Islam?
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

Christian2
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:27 am

Re: Two books recommended to understand Islam

Postby Christian2 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:24 pm

neo-x wrote:If you really want to understand and learn about islam, then read it at their source, not from someone who converted.


The author did investigate its sources and they are Islamic sources. That is why his testimony is so valuable.

Christian2
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:27 am

Re: Two books recommended to understand Islam

Postby Christian2 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:27 pm

RickD wrote:
neo-x wrote:If you really want to understand and learn about islam, then read it at their source, not from someone who converted.

Because people who were once Muslims can't teach about Islam?


They can teach it the best. The author investigate the Qur'an and the sayings of Muhammad.

He asked questions that anyone would ask. He found Muhammad and the Qur'an wanting. He looked into Christianity and found the Lord Jesus Christ and realized the God of the Bible is not the god of the Qur'an.

Christian2
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:27 am

Re: Two books recommended to understand Islam

Postby Christian2 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:28 pm

neo-x wrote:If you really want to understand and learn about islam, then read it at their source, not from someone who converted.


Have you done that? If so, what did you find?

Christian2
Advanced Senior Member
Posts: 913
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:27 am

Re: Two books recommended to understand Islam

Postby Christian2 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:29 pm

RickD wrote:
neo-x wrote:If you really want to understand and learn about islam, then read it at their source, not from someone who converted.

Because people who were once Muslims can't teach about Islam?


Says who. Read the book and find out for yourself. Have you read it?

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 18094
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: Two books recommended to understand Islam

Postby RickD » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:40 pm

Christian2 wrote:
RickD wrote:
neo-x wrote:If you really want to understand and learn about islam, then read it at their source, not from someone who converted.

Because people who were once Muslims can't teach about Islam?


Says who. Read the book and find out for yourself. Have you read it?

Christian2,

I hope you saw the "?" at the end of my question. I was questioning Neo's logic to the statement he made. I personally think people who were devout Muslims, and became Christians, are some of the best people to get info from. Just like an ex cult member would be someone to talk to about the cult he belonged to.

So,
While I don't know your specific book, I guess I just don't understand how Neo would think ex-Muslims wouldn't be a good reference for Islam.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2879
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:01 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Aussie Land

Re: Two books recommended to understand Islam

Postby Danieltwotwenty » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:51 pm

RickD wrote:
neo-x wrote:If you really want to understand and learn about islam, then read it at their source, not from someone who converted.

Because people who were once Muslims can't teach about Islam?



Because people who are no longer Muslum may be biased in their opinions.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.

User avatar
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3280
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:13 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Contact:

Re: Two books recommended to understand Islam

Postby neo-x » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:18 am

How credible do you find an ex-christian's views on Christianity?

I have never met an ex-christian who didn't have something wrong with his understanding of the scriptures. I am not saying that an ex-muslim can't teach islam. He can, only saying, its HIGHLY IMPROBABLE you find someone with unbiased views.

More so, its not trustworthy as in principle...if I want to know about Hinduism, I'd read Geeta, a Hindu convert may tell me something useful but that would be "his experience" of his religion. And it won't be objective. Your gaining that info is purely superficial, because you have not engaged that text personally and it has not produced the right intellectual and emotional response which is required to do learning and research.

So sure listen to ex-muslims all you like, but really you need to study islam to LEARN it or engage it apologetics.
People treat facts as relevant more when the facts tend to support their opinions. When the facts are against their opinions, they don't necessarily deny the facts, but they say the facts are less relevant or insignificant. This is ofcourse because believing things that make you feel comfortable, takes a priority. And I think that should not be the case if one is after truth.

http://johnadavid.wordpress.com

User avatar
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3280
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:13 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Contact:

Re: Two books recommended to understand Islam

Postby neo-x » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:24 am

Christian2 wrote:
neo-x wrote:If you really want to understand and learn about islam, then read it at their source, not from someone who converted.


Have you done that? If so, what did you find?


Yes, and that Allah is not the right God for me. There are things there that don't make sense to me. But that aside, let me tell you when you engage the text yourself you have A BETTER understanding of it, none of which can be compared to reading books from ex-muslims. Infact I have hardly ever found a book by an ex-muslim which shows something new about Islam that I haven't came across myself, except for their testimonies which I do greatly value and admire.
People treat facts as relevant more when the facts tend to support their opinions. When the facts are against their opinions, they don't necessarily deny the facts, but they say the facts are less relevant or insignificant. This is ofcourse because believing things that make you feel comfortable, takes a priority. And I think that should not be the case if one is after truth.

http://johnadavid.wordpress.com

User avatar
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3280
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:13 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Contact:

Re: Two books recommended to understand Islam

Postby neo-x » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:27 am

Also let me tell you that Muslims also harp about books from muslims who were ex-christians. I have read a few of those too and really its all pointless to the reader because spirituality and faith are very personal experiences, you can't read anyone's else and gauge an appropriate understanding of it. You can just get tidbits of info which is very thin-superficial for understanding, let alone to learn or teach.
People treat facts as relevant more when the facts tend to support their opinions. When the facts are against their opinions, they don't necessarily deny the facts, but they say the facts are less relevant or insignificant. This is ofcourse because believing things that make you feel comfortable, takes a priority. And I think that should not be the case if one is after truth.

http://johnadavid.wordpress.com

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 18094
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: Two books recommended to understand Islam

Postby RickD » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:58 am

Neo wrote:
How credible do you find an ex-christian's views on Christianity?

What's an ex-Christian? For that matter, I'd like to know what makes someone a Christian in your mind Neo.

A Christian: one who trusts Christ for salvation.
So, without getting into the whole assurance issue again, there's no such thing as an ex-Christian, so your question is irrelevant.

I have never met an ex-christian who didn't have something wrong with his understanding of the scriptures. I am not saying that an ex-muslim can't teach islam. He can, only saying, its HIGHLY IMPROBABLE you find someone with unbiased views.

I disagree. An ex-Muslim who trusts Christ for salvation, probably did his homework. He knows about Islam. He lived it before trusting Christ. Of course there's always some kind of bias. Humans are subjective.

More so, its not trustworthy as in principle...if I want to know about Hinduism, I'd read Geeta, a Hindu convert may tell me something useful but that would be "his experience" of his religion. And it won't be objective. Your gaining that info is purely superficial, because you have not engaged that text personally and it has not produced the right intellectual and emotional response which is required to do learning and research.

So sure listen to ex-muslims all you like, but really you need to study islam to LEARN it or engage it apologetics.

If I'm going to learn about Islam, I would use every means I can. Including ex-Muslims. Of course I would also go to the source. But that's not what we're arguing here. Nobody is saying we should only go to ex-Muslims, and avoid the Koran and Muslims. But you said not to go to those who converted.

Again, if I want to know about Islam, including ex-Muslims in my study just means I'm trying to cover all my bases.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony


Return to “Resources & Reviews”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests