Two books recommended to understand Islam

Review and recommend books and other resources such as videos, tapes or websites that you would like other Christians to be aware of. (posts considered spam will be removed)
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Two books recommended to understand Islam

Post by Christian2 »

"Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: A Devout Muslim Encounters Christianity" by Nabeel Qureshi

"What Every Christian Needs to Know About the Qur'an"

http://www.amazon.com/Every-Christia...bout+the+Quran

The author is quite knowledgeable about Islam and knows Arabic. He has debated Muslims. I have debated Muslims for many years now on discussion boards and we agree on many things.

If you don't know much about Islam, the Qur'an or Muhammad, these books are a good place to start learning.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Two books recommended to understand Islam

Post by jlay »

Christian2 wrote:"Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: A Devout Muslim Encounters Christianity" by Nabeel Qureshi

The author is quite knowledgeable about Islam and knows Arabic. He has debated Muslims. I have debated Muslims for many years now on discussion boards and we agree on many things.

If you don't know much about Islam, the Qur'an or Muhammad, these books are a good place to start learning.
Nabeel is touring with Ravi Zacharias (RZIM) at the moment. The book is on my reading list. Reading "Beyond Opinion" at the moment.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

jlay wrote:
Christian2 wrote:"Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: A Devout Muslim Encounters Christianity" by Nabeel Qureshi

Nabeel is touring with Ravi Zacharias (RZIM) at the moment. The book is on my reading list. Reading "Beyond Opinion" at the moment.
Nabeel has some "high name" supporters, such as Ravi Zacharias.

What is "Beyond Opinion" about?
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

If you really want to understand and learn about islam, then read it at their source, not from someone who converted.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

neo-x wrote:If you really want to understand and learn about islam, then read it at their source, not from someone who converted.
Because people who were once Muslims can't teach about Islam?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

neo-x wrote:If you really want to understand and learn about islam, then read it at their source, not from someone who converted.
The author did investigate its sources and they are Islamic sources. That is why his testimony is so valuable.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

RickD wrote:
They can teach it the best. The author investigate the Qur'an and the sayings of Muhammad.

He asked questions that anyone would ask. He found Muhammad and the Qur'an wanting. He looked into Christianity and found the Lord Jesus Christ and realized the God of the Bible is not the god of the Qur'an.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

Have you done that? If so, what did you find?
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Christian2 »

RickD wrote:
Says who. Read the book and find out for yourself. Have you read it?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Christian2 wrote:
RickD wrote:
Says who. Read the book and find out for yourself. Have you read it?
Christian2,

I hope you saw the "?" at the end of my question. I was questioning Neo's logic to the statement he made. I personally think people who were devout Muslims, and became Christians, are some of the best people to get info from. Just like an ex cult member would be someone to talk to about the cult he belonged to.

So,
While I don't know your specific book, I guess I just don't understand how Neo would think ex-Muslims wouldn't be a good reference for Islam.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

RickD wrote:

Because people who are no longer Muslum may be biased in their opinions.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

How credible do you find an ex-christian's views on Christianity?

I have never met an ex-christian who didn't have something wrong with his understanding of the scriptures. I am not saying that an ex-muslim can't teach islam. He can, only saying, its HIGHLY IMPROBABLE you find someone with unbiased views.

More so, its not trustworthy as in principle...if I want to know about Hinduism, I'd read Geeta, a Hindu convert may tell me something useful but that would be "his experience" of his religion. And it won't be objective. Your gaining that info is purely superficial, because you have not engaged that text personally and it has not produced the right intellectual and emotional response which is required to do learning and research.

So sure listen to ex-muslims all you like, but really you need to study islam to LEARN it or engage it apologetics.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Christian2 wrote:
Have you done that? If so, what did you find?
Yes, and that Allah is not the right God for me. There are things there that don't make sense to me. But that aside, let me tell you when you engage the text yourself you have A BETTER understanding of it, none of which can be compared to reading books from ex-muslims. Infact I have hardly ever found a book by an ex-muslim which shows something new about Islam that I haven't came across myself, except for their testimonies which I do greatly value and admire.

without.

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Also let me tell you that Muslims also harp about books from muslims who were ex-christians. I have read a few of those too and really its all pointless to the reader because spirituality and faith are very personal experiences, you can't read anyone's else and gauge an appropriate understanding of it. You can just get tidbits of info which is very thin-superficial for understanding, let alone to learn or teach.

without.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Neo wrote:
How credible do you find an ex-christian's views on Christianity?
What's an ex-Christian? For that matter, I'd like to know what makes someone a Christian in your mind Neo.

A Christian: one who trusts Christ for salvation.
So, without getting into the whole assurance issue again, there's no such thing as an ex-Christian, so your question is irrelevant.
I have never met an ex-christian who didn't have something wrong with his understanding of the scriptures. I am not saying that an ex-muslim can't teach islam. He can, only saying, its HIGHLY IMPROBABLE you find someone with unbiased views.
I disagree. An ex-Muslim who trusts Christ for salvation, probably did his homework. He knows about Islam. He lived it before trusting Christ. Of course there's always some kind of bias. Humans are subjective.
More so, its not trustworthy as in principle...if I want to know about Hinduism, I'd read Geeta, a Hindu convert may tell me something useful but that would be "his experience" of his religion. And it won't be objective. Your gaining that info is purely superficial, because you have not engaged that text personally and it has not produced the right intellectual and emotional response which is required to do learning and research.

So sure listen to ex-muslims all you like, but really you need to study islam to LEARN it or engage it apologetics.
If I'm going to learn about Islam, I would use every means I can. Including ex-Muslims. Of course I would also go to the source. But that's not what we're arguing here. Nobody is saying we should only go to ex-Muslims, and avoid the Koran and Muslims. But you said not to go to those who converted.

Again, if I want to know about Islam, including ex-Muslims in my study just means I'm trying to cover all my bases.

-Edward R Murrow