"The Narnian" by Alan Jacobs

Review and recommend books and other resources such as videos, tapes or websites that you would like other Christians to be aware of. (posts considered spam will be removed)
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

"The Narnian" by Alan Jacobs

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Outstanding Biography and Insight into Lewis, April 25, 2009

Alan Jacobs is a professor of English at Wheaton College, where the largest collection of CS Lewis writings and correspondance has been assembled. So, in addition to the natural talent and warmth that Jacobs brings to the subject, he is also arguably better equipped in terms of access to the private correspondance of Lewis than any prior biographers, and this results in a book that is both riveting and revealing.

The book itself is a refreshing look at a man who in my mind has been an enigma of the 20th century. American Evangelical Christians have elevated Lewis to almost a level of sainthood in large part because of the impact of his writings in the area of Christian Apologetics. This is despite the fact that most evangelicals would be hard pressed to acknowledge that CS Lewis would be questioned as to his fitness to occupy a pulpit due to his personal habits and relationships.

While past biographies have (almost ironically) themselves become apologetic works defending the apologist, this work takes an approach that I found refreshing. Without diminishing Lewis' importance and impact upon 20th century Christianity, Lewis is seen both sympathetically but with a full acceptance of the conflicts within his life and development.

Stylistically, rather than working through a purely chronological progression of his life, this biography takes Lewis' life in subsets or themes which works very well in highlighting the contrasts in particular areas of his life without the continual cross-referencing and returning to themes that a more traditional approach would entail.

Overall, an excellent biography and opportunity for the reader to place Lewis the man into context, juxtaposed with his writings without ignoring or trying to rationalize away the complexities of who he was as opposed to all he wrote.

5 stars

Bart Breen
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: "The Narnian" by Alan Jacobs

Post by zoegirl »

ugh, another book on my too-read list
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by cslewislover »

I just had a class with Jerry Root, also of Wheaton College. He said the best books, in his opinion, on CS Lewis are Walter Hooper's CS Lewis: A Complete Guide to His Life & Works (this IS a totally excellent work), and Michael Ward's Planet Narnia (I need to get this). Just thought I'd throw that out there, as something fresh on my mind and somewhat related.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Canuckster1127
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

cslewislover wrote:I just had a class with Jerry Root, also of Wheaton College. He said the best books, in his opinion, on CS Lewis are Walter Hooper's CS Lewis: A Complete Guide to His Life & Works (this IS a totally excellent work), and Michael Ward's Planet Narnia (I need to get this). Just thought I'd throw that out there, as something fresh on my mind and somewhat related.
Hooper's is raised by most as the definitive pure biography out there. I haven't read it so I can't comment on it beyond a few references that appear to be a little naive in some places as to Lewis' relationship with his friend's mother over the years, but that's all I can say. That will be next book about Lewis when the bug takes me. ;)
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender