Learning Greek/Hebrew

Review and recommend books and other resources such as videos, tapes or websites that you would like other Christians to be aware of. (posts considered spam will be removed)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Learning Greek/Hebrew

Post by Jac3510 »

So, I'll be applying to Tyndale Theological Seminary this week to take courses in Hebrew. Unfortuantely, they don't offer it on the undergrad level at Luther Rice University, where I currently attend. The reason is that I'm going for a Master of Arts in Old Testament Studies from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, but you really have to have a background in Hebrew to qualify for the degree.

So, I'm really excited. I'm a second year Greek student, and I've been wanting to get into Hebrew for a long time now. Tyndale is unaccredited, but they offer four years of Hebrew and five years of Greek through extension studies (you have 12 weeks to complete each course), and the prices are great. It's only $160 a class--that compared to the $600 per class I'm paying at LRU, and the $2000 per class I'll be paying at Trinity. :( To top it off, you don't even have to take courses toward a degree. You can just enroll, be accepted, and then take whatever classes you want for your own education.

Now, we've got some solid thinkers on this board. I can just say from my own experience that a basic understanding of Greek deepens a person's understanding of the text greatly. I assume the same will be true for Hebrew. There are some good home study kits. You can get Greek and Hebrew Tutor bundled together for $65, and I've found both very helpful. But there's nothing quite like actually taking a class. All in all, I'd highly recommend something like this to absolutely everyone. Even if you aren't going into professional ministry, it's still very well worth the time and money. Hey, if Muslims learn the Koran in Arabic, why shouldn't we learn the Word of God as He originally had it written?

So, there ya go, G&S - a great language resource :)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Michelle
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Learning Greek/Hebrew

Post by Michelle »

:D I wish you all the very best. I would have loved to be able to learn Greek and Hebrew. I have a Greek dictionary but I am afraid it doesnt help much. I want to learn Russian and Sumerian as well. Maybe I am being a little ambitious here! :)

Sounds like a really great course so good luck with it.