Any Good Books On Victory In Christ?

Review and recommend books and other resources such as videos, tapes or websites that you would like other Christians to be aware of. (posts considered spam will be removed)
Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No

Any Good Books On Victory In Christ?

Post by Believer »

Can anyone recommend any book(s) that helps with having victory in Christ? You know, good encouraging material? I am in need of it. I am not doubting God, but my mindset isn't straight, being on these forums hasn't given me spiritual and religious authority in my life and with God/Jesus. I have faith, but not adequate, and I don't dwell on Christ in a positive way I should be.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

I kind of like the Bible, actually. :wink:

Rick Warren's "The Purpose Driven Life" is not all bad. It might appeal to you.

But with all the books I have read, I still find that reading goes only so far.
Eventually you have to put the book down and actually DO what God wants you to do. Listening to your prayer enlightened conscience is a good start as a rule, and deliberately doing things for other people... those nearest and dearest to you, and then increasingly further afield.

It is the unselfish DOING for others, which is actually acting out your faith, that really strengthens it the most. 8)
Faith is a bit like a muscle in your body. Exercise it to increase it's strength; don't use it and you let it waste away.
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by kateliz »

Ooo! This is my favourite subject for books!

The Normal Christian Life and The Overcoming Life by Watchman Nee are true gems! Some things get a bit funny, but they're easily spotted. Honestly, check these out!

The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life (exact title?) by Hannah Whitall Smith is also up there with those books. Awesome.

Bone of His Bone by F.J. Huegel is also another way of looking at our victory in Christ.

And the equivalent of a "how-to" guide for Christian growth and victory in Christ is Miles J. Standford's The Complete Green Letters. To be read over and over again for many, many years if not your whole life!

Andrew Murray's
The Deeper Christian Life is also a gem. So are his Absolute Surrender, Abide in Christ and lots others I'm sure. Him and Watchman Nee wrote gazillions of books on Christian living.

Hannah Hurnard Smith's Hind's Feet on High Places is an incredibly awesome analogy of what the path of gaining victory in Christ is like. One of the best, but the analogies, extrememly well done, may sound odd or confusing if you're unfamiliar with the main topic of these other books I mentioned. To me it's an unparalleled vision of what I've been through and am going through and await to go through. I found the spot where I am in my growth in it okay. I could maybe pinpoint it if I had an overview of what I'm currently going through, (only when you pass through it can you see it for what it was.)

Also don't forget to read biographies of Christians who have had victory in Christ and were quite mature in Him like those of: George Mueller and Hudson Taylor.

Some of these books, especially all of Watchman Nee's, you can read, (or print?) for free off the internet.

Hope this helped!

Oh, and I don't wholly agree with you Judah. My faith was increased the most it's ever been by reading of others' experiences with God because it taught me that I can trust Him. It's invaluable. Practicing it is hard because it doesn't always solve your problems, just makes you more aware of them. Reading is an invaluable tool in Christian growth, (which is why God gave us the Bible!) You gain the wisdom and insight others gained by hard measures easily because it's recorded and you don't need to struggle for it yourself as much. But yes, the practical experience of things is quite needed. What I've found is that God plants a seed in my practical life, waters and sunbathes it through reading, and then blossoms it in practice. Without the reading I would've struggled much with little growth.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

kateliz wrote:My faith was increased the most it's ever been by reading of others' experiences with God because it taught me that I can trust Him. It's invaluable.
I understand where you are coming from, kateliz, and agree with you about reading assisting faith. Those look like worthwhile books.

The following was some of the reasoning behind my post.

James 2:17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

If I read and read and do not act on the inspiration that is in what I have been reading, then where is my faith? I know for myself that when I submit to God and actually do what He wants me to do, then the results usually strengthens my faith greatly.
There can be a danger in just reading for inspiration and not putting what is gained by reading into action. What does "faith" mean then, and what was the point of it being "strengthened"? How can it be said to be "strengthened" if it is not put into use?
Like with all things, I guess, there has to be some balance... both reading and action. Sometimes it is easier to do the reading and neglect the action for which the reading was intended in the first place.

But I am not denying the importance of reading.
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by kateliz »

Yes, there must be action, and reading for strengthening would be for that purpose. I believe that the foundation is more important than the structure, and that it should be for the most part laid first. Oftimes Christians are too eager to produce fruit and so neglect their root system to the great, (or small,) suffering of the fruit. It is said in one of those books I mentioned, (probably Miles J. Standford's book,) that to God the Christian is more important than the work, and emphasized personal growth as a precursor for the work the growth was meant for. But that doesn't mean to hold all activity until you reach maturity- that would be stupid because we'll never reach full maturity on earth where the work must be done! That's what I meant.

I also meant "faith" as in believing God for things, not "faith" as in general Christianity or religion. If I'm not mistaken you meant general Christianity by the word, whereas I meant the other definition! :)
Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Believer »

I agree with Kateliz, I think reading books and/or articles DO help with motivation, it feeds you inspiration in addition to the Bible, like a supplement, and gives you things to think about from the author, also personal testimonies help.