Habemus Papam

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Veronica
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Habemus Papam

Post by Veronica »

The 264 succesor to St. Peter(265 Pope) has been chosen: Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger. He has chosen the name Benidict XVI.
May the Holy Spirit bless him and guide him in all that he does.

His first greeting as Pope:
"Dear Brothers and Sisters:

After the great Pope, John Paul II, the Lord Cardinals have elected me, a simple, humble worker in the Lord's vineyard. I am consoled by the fact that the Lord is able to work and act with insufficient instruments and, above all, I rely on your prayers.

In the joy of the risen Lord, confident of his permanent help, let us go forward. The Lord will help us. Mary, his Most Holy Mother, is on our side. Thank you."

May the Lord bless you and keep you all!
Veronica <><
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Felgar »

Thanks for the update Veronica, and welcome to the forum.

From perusing CNN, it looks like he's also very conservative. Personally I think that's a good thing, even though there are some issues that I don't agree with. I'm glad he won't be turning the entire church upside-down. I'm not catholic, but as a Christian I'm glad to see a lot of the moral standards of the church will be unchanged.
Dan
Valued Member

Post by Dan »

I cried outloud in joy when I learned this. This man will lead Christianity through these dark times and will preserve the doctrine of the Bible that so many want to destroy. To call him conservative is an understatement.

Perhaps we'll see the unification of the Catholic and Orthodox faiths as well :) I will jump for joy if that happens before the apocalypse.

I think every Christian, not just catholics can find confidence in these dark times by turning to the Pope.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

I'm glad they've picked a conservative. I was told some people wanted a more liberal one in there. Hopefully he'll be doing God's will, not his own. I don't know how much you're tempted to abuse your power as pope, but it's probably a lot. That's the first temptation man fell to...eat this fruit and you shall be like God!
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Veronica
Recognized Member

Post by Veronica »

Dan wrote:I cried outloud in joy when I learned this. This man will lead Christianity through these dark times and will preserve the doctrine of the Bible that so many want to destroy. To call him conservative is an understatement.

Perhaps we'll see the unification of the Catholic and Orthodox faiths as well :) I will jump for joy if that happens before the apocalypse.

I think every Christian, not just catholics can find confidence in these dark times by turning to the Pope.
Amen to that!

Veronica ><>
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

"Turning to the Pope"

Post by kateliz »

Dan wrote:I think every Christian, not just catholics can find confidence in these dark times by turning to the Pope.
Don't mean to go on in here, but it really makes my heart heavy- turn to God, not the pope. Peter and Paul would've had righteous anger if anyone said that people should turn to them. They would have responded by saying that they are only God's servants, and servants should never be elevated but are only to elevate their Master. However, if you meant something like that Christians can benefit from other Christians, then I recant my objection, and just ignore it.