Dungeons And Dragons and Christians

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Dungeons And Dragons and Christians

Post by Hortator »

I admit it, I want to play D&D. Here are the ABCs of this topic,

About: I couldn't find any topics covering this on the main site, and checked back as far as 2016 and there weren't any discussions about it on the forums, either.

Background: D&D is a tabletop roleplaying game (no, not that kind of roleplay, Rick) where you create a character who fulfills a specific "role" in the group. This can be as a leader, a simple brawler, or the dungeon master who keeps track of scores, settles minor disputes, and generally guides the story along.

Conflict: D&D has been criticized in the past by Christians as being immoral. I did not know what they mean, until I got into the lore of the game, which is immense and convoluted. There is magic, of course. There are hundreds of different gods and goddesses. There isn't 1 hell, but 9 hells, each with their own rulers. There is a separate hellish place called the Abyss that is for some reason at war with the hells.

....and that's just scratching the surface.

Defense: Gary Gygax, the creator, stated he was a devout Christian before he died. His game, particularly the 1st edition, are based almost primarily upon J.R. Tolkein's The Lord of the Rings franchise. Tolkein's worldview was heavily Christian and was reflected in his work, I believe. He even was friends in life with C.S. Lewis, a theologian who wrote many books on the subject of Christian Life in the 20th century. If not for Tolkein, it's possible Lewis would not have been led back to this path.

Et cetera: Haven't made an OP in a long time, but hoping this stirs some conversation. Speaking of stirs, I am a little stir crazy in lockdown, and am reading everything I can find. D&D crossed my desk and I have been fascinated with it, and wish I could try it out right now. Such bad luck I discovered an indoor activity, but nobody to play it with!!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Dungeons And Dragons and Christians

Post by RickD »

I watched Game of Thrones, which had dungeons and dragons.

Does that help?
:lol:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:23 pm I watched Game of Thrones, which had dungeons and dragons.

Does that help?
Should I be impressed you got past the fully naked woman to remember anything else? y:-?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:27 pm
RickD wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:23 pm I watched Game of Thrones, which had dungeons and dragons.

Does that help?
Should I be impressed you got past the fully naked woman to remember anything else? y:-?
I hadn’t noticed.
:oops:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Gulliver
Newbie Member
Christian: No

Post by Gulliver »

RickD wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:41 pm
Nessa wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:27 pm
RickD wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:23 pm I watched mini militia for ios Game of Thrones, which had dungeons and dragons.

Does that help?
I hadn’t noticed.
:oops:
Game of Thrones I think is a master piece of this age!
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Gulliver wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:07 am
Game of Thrones I think is a master piece of this age!
Gulliver, welcome to Godandscience.org!
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Stu »

If Jesus was in the room with you, would you offer to play D&D with him?
Magic the Gathering?
Lord of the Rings (magic, wizards) board game?

No? Then you shouldn't be playing it yourself.

Same goes for movies and video games.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.