God and Science

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
DamianSilas
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes

God and Science

Post by DamianSilas »

I think many who uphold science forget first that science is extremely fickle and in constant flux. seriously, a published article written five years ago may be 'dated' information now, ten years maybe on the general track, 20 years, it's backwards or embarrassing 50 or more, the information is laughable or absurd. Look at a science book from the renaissance and compare the information with what we have today.

Second, the notion of science is purely objective field is a recent development, probably less than 400 yrs in practice, which is very short time in terms of world history. Even in 1687 Harvard university was still teaching Aristotle's work in physics, Ptolemy in astronomy, and Galen in medicine and likely continued well into the 1770s when fluency in Greek and Latin were the mark of an educated person.
DamianSilas
Newbie Member

Re: God and Science

Post by DamianSilas »

DamianSilas wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:54 am I think many who uphold science forget first that science is extremely fickle and in constant flux. seriously, a published article written five years ago may be 'dated' information now, ten years maybe on the general track, 20 years, it's backwards or embarrassing 50 or more, the information is laughable or absurd. Look at a science book from the renaissance and compare the information with what we have todayhttps://sarkariresult.onl/ Mobdro https://pnrstatus.vip/

Second, the notion of science is purely objective field is a recent development, probably less than 400 yrs in practice, which is very short time in terms of world history. Even in 1687 Harvard university was still teaching Aristotle's work in physics, Ptolemy in astronomy, and Galen in medicine and likely continued well into the 1770s when fluency in Greek and Latin were the mark of an educated person.

GUYS DID ANYONE READ MY POST!!!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Do you want to explain why there are identical posts under different member’s names?

And maybe why there are multiple members with the same IP address as yours?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
elwishnine
Newbie Member

Post by elwishnine »

What is the belief in science called?
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

elwishnine: What is the belief in science called?
Not sure what you're asking here? There is the scientific method. There is scientific theory and conjecture. And there are testable theories with well-designed experiments and their results. But people confuse these and so often just use the term "science."
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

elwishnine wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:20 pm What is the belief in science called?
Scientology?

:wave:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

DBowling
Ultimate Member

Post by DBowling »

elwishnine wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:20 pm What is the belief in science called?
How about... belief in God's 'Natural Revelation'
Psalm 19:1-6
1 The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.

2 Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they reveal knowledge.
3 They have no speech, they use no words;
no sound is heard from them.
4 Yet their voice goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.

In the heavens God has pitched a tent for the sun.
5 It is like a bridegroom coming out of his chamber,
like a champion rejoicing to run his course.
6 It rises at one end of the heavens
and makes its circuit to the other;
nothing is deprived of its warmth.
Romans 1:19-20
since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

DBowling wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:24 am
How about... belief in God's 'Natural Revelation'
Absolutely, just that it's not science, but what scientists, even though they don't know it, are truly studying - "the fingerprints of God that are traceable across His Creation.
hughfarey
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by hughfarey »

Can we clarify what this post is about? I'll happily speak for "Science," but don't know what the OP wanted to engage, if anything, or what is meant by "belief in science."

Who are these people who "uphold science" but don't know what it is? I don't know any. Most scientists' dream is to contribute to the "constant flux," not to forget it. I'm afraid I think it is mostly people who despise science who forget that it is constantly changing, not the people who "uphold" it.

And I don't think there is a word for "belief in science," any more than there is a word for "belief in music" or "belief in rabbits" for that matter. Is elwishnine looking for a word to define a belief that knowledge can only depend on observation and experiment, excluding, say, intuition? That might be materialism or rationalism, but science is a great deal more than a method of acquiring information.

And. I like the idea that scientists study the fingerprints of God, and guess that the millions of scientists who are not atheists would probably agree that that is indeed what they study.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

HughFarey wrote:
Can we clarify what this post is about?
I guess not. The same post was posted by at least two members. Both of which never came back to engage in conversation.

Seems like a typical hit and run post.

-Edward R Murrow

Challenger007
Familiar Member

Post by Challenger007 »

In some book (I don’t remember which one) the idea sounded that science is the way to a cognition of God, let it prove the divine principle. After all, there was some kind of impetus, as a result of which the first living organisms arose. I believe in evolution, but I also believe in the influence of forces from above on the evolutionary process. I respect the texts of the Bible because they are full of wisdom, but the Bible is still a book that people wrote. Very wise, but still people. And it contains fiction and exaggeration in order to draw the attention of mankind to eternal problems. So, getting back to science. Surely there is some kind of energy (it is not personalized) that governs all the laws of nature. And this has already been proven by the discovery of the laws of physics and chemistry. After all, they didn't come from anything, these laws have existed for many millions of years. And that is why, when in our days humanity has developed to such a level that it has begun to explore space, we have become more than ever close to God and understanding of his creations. Unfortunately, along the way, we have caused too much destruction, which we have to compensate for. We litter our planet with waste, we kill thousands of animals every year. But there are still people in this world who think not only about getting rich. I am comforted and encouraged by the environmental projects of aerospace companies, in which I see a desire not only for the development of technology but also for unity with that very primordial force. I am surprised and amazed that the space cameras producer intends its developments not only for studying distant stars but primarily for studying our life "under a microscope". The possibility of constant observation from space for problems on Earth is akin to advanced technologies for diagnosing human diseases.
marialovely
Newbie Member
Christian: No

Post by marialovely »

god is great thats all i want to say thanks