KJV only version that's inspired?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

KJV only version that's inspired?

Post by Nessa »

What do people think about different Bible translations?

I think this is an interesting conversation with James White and the infamous Steven Anderson.

As far as Steven goes.. anyone who tells homosexuals to just put a bullet through their brain so they don't molest his children.. deserves my upmost respect :shock: (please note sarcasm)

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: KJV only version that's inspired?

Post by RickD »

Here's part 2

Part 3
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I got through the first two videos, and partly into the third.

John Malkovich does a great job of letting Mr. Anderson hang himself.

And notice that every time Anderson was shown his error, Anderson wanted to quickly change the subject, to deflect off of his error.

I just wish that John Malkovich pressed Anderson more, to get him to see his errors.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

James White is a mixed bag! While he's well shown the folly of those who think the King James is THE Bible - with the rest supposedly only varying in whatever levels of corruption from the original inspired writings - he's also a militant Five Point Calvinist who thinks God never wanted to save more than those who become Christians - in other words, he believes God decided that those going to hell - not because of His future knowledge of their eventual rejection of Himself or Christ - but merely because that was the fate he decided FOR them, before anyone ever existed or had sinned.

When Geisler wrote his book, "Chosen But Free" - revealing how God OFFERS His salvation to ALL, yet will assign to hell all whom reject that offer - White wrote his book in response, "The Potter's Freedom" - a book so riddled with errors and Scriptural contradictions that in his second edition of Geisler's book, he produced a response with a list, pages long, of glaring errors in White's book. If God has operated the way White thinks he has, instead of being the hope of an unsaved world, He would instead be a nightmare for most of it - and not of THEIR own choosing, but (per the Five Pointers) of God's - a grand perversion of much Scripture. To the Five Pointer, there is NO ability, given by God to man, to choose Christ, as they believe God chooses Christ and salvation for them - and for most people to ever live, His choice for them was HELL! What a really sick, depressing theology White espouses!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip,

If White is a Calvinist, then I'd agree. But, since I hadn't heard of him before the video that Nessa posted, it wasn't relevant to me. I was just talking about the discussion in the video. I'm not a big fan of Anderson. I've seen him before, in YouTube videos. Imo, he's a more than a little off the wall, when it come to his version of Christianity, and his first amendment garbage.

Getting back to the topic, you'd agree that it's possible for someone to be correct in one aspect(that KJ only is wrong), while also being wrong in regards to his Calvinism?

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Rick: ... you'd agree that it's possible for someone to be correct in one aspect(that KJ only is wrong), while also being wrong in regards to his Calvinism?
Absolutely both can be true! In fact, just look on the cover of White's book on King James - as whose endorsement quote is found at the very top? But this was four years before the dueling Calvinist books.

"This is the best book in print on a topic too often riddled with emotion and ignorance."
Norman Geisler

BTW, I have this book by James White on my bookshelf!
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Thanks for additional vids... Didn't realise they were there.

I brought a KJV Bible the other day because I saw it in a second hand book store. Until then, I haven't gone near this version at all.

I am not sure if God was prompting me to get it... Dont want to join the bandwagon of the NIV is from the devil... KJV only... Etc

But I would like accuracy...without having to learn Hebrew and Greek.

In Daniel, the NIV says gab said Daniel was 'highly esteemed' but KJV and NKJV says greatly loved or beloved.

That in itself bothers me that NIV gives a different meaning in my opinion
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Maybe some people would use those words interchangeably but I see them as different
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa,

If you are able to read the KJ, then I say go ahead. Personally, I have too much difficulty with the King James.

It's best to get a good translation that you like.

A while back, I used to read an NIV study bible. But I found there to be too many opinions in the study notes, that distracted me from the scripture itself.
Nessa wrote:
In Daniel, the NIV says gab said Daniel was 'highly esteemed' but KJV and NKJV says greatly loved or beloved.
The word for highly esteemed, in Daniel 10:11, is chemdah, which means precious. Someone who is precious to another, is beloved, or held in high esteem.

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:03 pm Nessa,

If you are able to read the KJ, then I say go ahead. Personally, I have too much difficulty with the King James.

A while back, I used to read an NIV study bible. But I found there to be too many opinions in the study notes, that distracted me from the scripture itself.
Nessa wrote:
The word for highly esteemed, in Daniel 10:11, is chemdah, which means precious. Someone who is precious to another, is beloved, or held in high esteem.
What version do you read now?

I see piper and some others recommending​ ESV
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:45 pm
RickD wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:03 pm Nessa,

Nessa wrote:
What version do you read now?

I see piper and some others recommending​ ESV
This forum uses NASB, when verses are posted. Since I've been here, I've grown used to the NASB. For me, it's easy to understand. So, I mostly use NASB, when reading. When studying, I mostly do that online, so I use different translations.

You've reminded me that I really need to read more than I have been. I've been neglecting it lately.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

NASB is very good. Many Bible scholars like the ESV. And the ESV Study Bible also offers a virtual library of information, maps, history, archaeological discoveries - it's an absolutely amazing resource! The footnotes do have a, mostly subtle, Calvinist influence - that I wouldn't have noticed if I'd not been looking for it due to knowing a bit about the backgrounds of some members of the translation team. But it's not blatant or offensive. The best translations are not interpretation-driven. Nonetheless, certain decision must be made in the process.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:52 pm NASB is very good. Many Bible scholars like the ESV. And the ESV Study Bible also offers a virtual library of information, maps, history, archaeological discoveries - it's an absolutely amazing resource! The footnotes do have a, mostly subtle, Calvinist influence - that I wouldn't have noticed if I'd not been looking for it due to knowing a bit about the backgrounds of some members of the translation team. But it's not blatant or offensive. The best translations are not interpretation-driven. Nonetheless, certain decision must be made in the process.
That would explain why John Piper recommends the ESV.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

One thing I've found disconcerting, is some very intelligent and learned people are often not terribly objective when it comes to being critical of their own traditions / theological upbringing.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

John Piper picked a peck of pickled T-U-L-I-Ps. A peck of pickled T-U-L-I-Ps John Piper picked. If John Piper picked a peck of pickled T-U-L-I-Ps, Where's the peck of pickled T-U-L-I-Ps John Piper picked?

And was he predestined to pick those pickled
T-U-L-I-Ps?
y:-?

-Edward R Murrow