KJV only version that's inspired?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: KJV only version that's inspired?

Post by RickD »

The Greek word metanoia, is not a direct translation for the English word repent.
Claysmithr wrote:
1. Jesus sent out the disciples 2 by 2, they told people to repent, you think Jesus had no input on what they are going to tell people to do?
Maybe, maybe not. The text doesn’t say.
2. I believe that the bible heavily implies repentance as turning from sin, so much so that the modern definition of repent is turning from sin
You can believe whatever you want. But the problem is that the Bible itself doesn’t back your belief. Again, metanoia literally means “change of mind”.
Truth is, repentance is very important to God. Turning from sin, turning to Jesus. Repentance implies a changed lifestyle. Let's look at Merriam Webster definition.
1: to turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one's life
2a: to feel regret or contrition
b: to change one's mind
That’s repent in English. Not metanoia.
Now, if you only go by the 'change your mind' definition, what are you changing your mind about? Usually, it's changing your mind about Jesus, and about sin. I believe when Jesus's disciples told people to repent, they were supposed to repent of their sin and turn towards God.
I agree. Change your mind about sin and Jesus.

Not “turn from sin” in the sense that it’s used to convey changing one’s lifestyle. Changing one's lifestyle is not a part of salvation by Grace through faith.

As a disciple, or someone who is already saved, changing our old, sinful lifestyle, is different than claiming a change of lifestyle is a part of salvation.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

and turn towards God
The reality is, to begin to have faith in Christ IS turning from the cult of self / a life of only sinful pursuit, yet / instead, TO GOD! And the cult of self / man in the mirror cult is all about sinful narcissism / faith in and obedience to ONLY oneself. But it is not what you are turning from, but WHOM you are turning TO that allows you to RECEIVE (the FREE gift of) salvation. Because guess what, NO one can totally turn from sin - as ALL Christians will still continue to sin, even though their faith in Christ has freed them from being held accountable by God for their sins. If turning from sin saved you, one's salvation would a work of their own doing - as opposed to it being a work of God.
claysmithr
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by claysmithr »

RickD wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:57 pm The Greek word metanoia, is not a direct translation for the English word repent.
Claysmithr wrote:
1. Jesus sent out the disciples 2 by 2, they told people to repent, you think Jesus had no input on what they are going to tell people to do?
Maybe, maybe not. The text doesn’t say.
2. I believe that the bible heavily implies repentance as turning from sin, so much so that the modern definition of repent is turning from sin
You can believe whatever you want. But the problem is that the Bible itself doesn’t back your belief. Again, metanoia literally means “change of mind”.
Truth is, repentance is very important to God. Turning from sin, turning to Jesus. Repentance implies a changed lifestyle. Let's look at Merriam Webster definition.
1: to turn from sin and dedicate oneself to the amendment of one's life
2a: to feel regret or contrition
b: to change one's mind
That’s repent in English. Not metanoia.
Now, if you only go by the 'change your mind' definition, what are you changing your mind about? Usually, it's changing your mind about Jesus, and about sin. I believe when Jesus's disciples told people to repent, they were supposed to repent of their sin and turn towards God.
I agree. Change your mind about sin and Jesus.

Not “turn from sin” in the sense that it’s used to convey changing one’s lifestyle. Changing one's lifestyle is not a part of salvation by Grace through faith.

As a disciple, or someone who is already saved, changing our old, sinful lifestyle, is different than claiming a change of lifestyle is a part of salvation.
I see your point now, Rick. Repentance is to change your mind about sin and Jesus, but turning from sin, while a valiant effort, is impossible for us to accomplish in the flesh, and therefore is not a requirement of salvation. :)
claysmithr
Valued Member

Post by claysmithr »

I believe a true Christian should be making an effort to turn from a sinful lifestyle, however. This is the process of sanctification, is it not?
claysmithr
Valued Member

Post by claysmithr »

Strong’s Concordance 3340 defines the New Testament word ‘repent’ as: to change any or all of the elements composing one’s life: attitude, thoughts, behaviors concerning the demands of God for right living.
https://www.billmounce.com/greek-dictionary/metanoeo

https://biblehub.com/greek/3340.htm