Was Jesus Tortured in hell for 3 days and 3 Nights?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Was Jesus Tortured in hell for 3 days and 3 Nights?

Post by abelcainsbrother »

B. W. wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:Here is what I believe from bible reading,teachings and my understanding. No Jesus did not go to hell and was not tortured.He went into Abrahams Bosom where all of the OT saints were and he took them to heaven,Abrahams Bosom was where the OT saints went when they died and it was not in the tormenting part of hell.Those who were in Abrahams Bosom could look over and see those in hell but they themselves were safe.Jesus went to Abraham's Bosom where the OT Saints were.Nobody went to heaven until Jesus died on the cross fulfilling his mission and now they do.This is why Jesus told the theif Today you will be with me in paradise and he was,paradise was Abraham's Bosom and the theif went there after he died and then Jesus went there after he died and got him and took him to heaven with all of the OT Saints.
I agree but he also proclaimed a proclamation of victory over the the works of darkness and their damnation to those in the current hell, according to these verses:

1 Peter 3:18,19,20, "For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit, 19 by whom also He went and preached to the spirits in prison, 20 who formerly were disobedient, when once the Divine longsuffering waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared, in which a few, that is, eight souls, were saved through water..." NKJV

The word traslated preached in verse 19 is the Greek word κηρύσσω - kērussō -Thayer Defines it as:
Thayer Definition:

κηρύσσω
kērussō

1) to be a herald, to officiate as a herald
1a) to proclaim after the manner of a herald
1b) always with the suggestion of formality, gravity and an authority which must be listened to and obeyed
2) to publish, proclaim openly: something which has been done
So from the text, Jesus also proclaimed a truth - shout of condemnation to those in current hell and a victory to those in Paradise.

There is no way Jesus fought the devils in hell in a Wrestling Cage match - that can't be derived from the the bible at all.
-
-
-
I agree.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Not to mention one has to read into the text that Jesus visited hell. PLUS, remember how Jesus told the Disciples to shake the dust from their feet to anyone that rejected their message - to move on. Jesus would not be preaching a message that was too late - after their deaths - to people already judged guilty.
JButler
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by JButler »

I used to believe Jesus was in hell for 3 days. This was due to the Apostle's Creed read at the beginning of every service (reformed). "He descended into Hell, and on the 3rd day rose from the dead." Certainly gives the definite impression that Jesus was cast into hell to take the torment for our sins and when it was done He was resurrected. Never ever heard a word that contradicted that mistaken belief or any preaching/printed to explain what it really meant. Now I believe the elders and preachers really had no idea either, knowing what I know now.

I know that's not true now but I believed it for years. Actually I know many, many things are not true from my upbringing. Amazing what is revealed when God leads you to correct teaching and righteous teachers! Praise the Lord!!
If the truth hurts, maybe it should.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Philip wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:06 pmNot to mention one has to read into the text that Jesus visited hell. PLUS, remember how Jesus told the Disciples to shake the dust from their feet to anyone that rejected their message - to move on. Jesus would not be preaching a message that was too late - after their deaths - to people already judged guilty.
JButler wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:09 pm I used to believe Jesus was in hell for 3 days. This was due to the Apostle's Creed read at the beginning of every service (reformed). "He descended into Hell, and on the 3rd day rose from the dead." Certainly gives the definite impression that Jesus was cast into hell to take the torment for our sins and when it was done He was resurrected. Never ever heard a word that contradicted that mistaken belief or any preaching/printed to explain what it really meant. Now I believe the elders and preachers really had no idea either, knowing what I know now.

I know that's not true now but I believed it for years. Actually I know many, many things are not true from my upbringing. Amazing what is revealed when God leads you to correct teaching and righteous teachers! Praise the Lord!!

1 Peter 3:18-20, "For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit; 19 in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, 20 who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water.." NASB

Jesus made a proclamation to the spirits now in prison (refers to bad part of Sheol) who were disobedient back in the days of Noah.

The word translated disobedient (Greek - apeitheō) means in the the tense it is used - refused to believe ( context-Noah's warnings) and also taught others to refuse belief in God, (Word Belief should be understood in Hebrew terms as loyalty, fidelity, towards God.

The spirits refer to all who refused God, his warnings, totally and taught others to do the same. This includes all the fallen watchers) angels cast into prison (pit of Sheol), see Jude 1:6, along with the souls of humanity corrupted by them. Please note...

Eze 26:20, "...then I will bring you down with those who descend into the Pit, to the people of old, and I will make you dwell in the lowest part of the earth, in places desolate from antiquity, with those who go down to the Pit..." NKJV

What Jesus proclaimed was the watchers defeat and those who followed their ways and instructions of sorcery, metal working for war, beautifying of body for seduction, all manner of spells and enchantments etc and etc...

Jesus had just brought salvation to light thru him to humanity thus as it is written"

"...the reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil..." 1 John 3:8 ESV part b

Col 2:14,15, "...having nailed it to the cross. 15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it." NKJV

He proclaimed to all the fallen ones, both human and angelic - their defeat.

Recall, Jesus himself said he would be in paradise also know as 'Abraham's Bosom' part of of Sheol for the righteous Hebrews of old who's faith was in God alone... see Luke 23:43

There is no way he went to hell's pit to be tormented by demons but rather to announce their defeat.
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

1 Peter 3:18-20, "For Christ also died for sins once for all, the just for the unjust, so that He might bring us to God, having been put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the spirit;
Self explanatory.
19 in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison,
Note the timing of this - it's not that these spirits were in prison AT THE TIME Jesus proclaimed to them.

So when did this proclamation occur?

20 who once were disobedient, WHEN the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water.."

So, at the time Peter wrote this, these "spirits" were already in prison, but not at the time of the proclamations ("when"), which occurred during "the days of Noah."

Jesus did not visit hell - as what would the point of THAT be?