Should women breastfeed their babies?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Should women breastfeed their babies?

Post by Nessa »

There's a lot of debate about this but I thought it would be interesting to get people's opinions.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Should women breastfeed their babies?

Post by Kurieuo »

Nessa wrote:There's a lot of debate about this but I thought it would be interesting to get people's opinions.
Breastfeed their babies, or breastfeed in public? I think it's a no-brainer babies should be breastfed.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:There's a lot of debate about this but I thought it would be interesting to get people's opinions.
There's debate over whether or not women should breastfeed their babies?

What kind of sick, twisted country is New Zealand?

:shock:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

I think it's a cultural thing over there to just let the babies suckle from sheep. Which is why women there have such a difficult time weening their men off them as adults. :P
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:I think it's a cultural thing over there to just let the babies suckle from sheep. Which is why women there have such a difficult time weening their men off them as adults. :P
:pound: :pound: :pound:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Of course women should breast feed in public - discretely - but they don't have to put their "puppies" on full display to do so. A woman merely trying to feed her child - understandable and good. But some are just using public breastfeeding to be exhibitionists, and screaming "prude" to people who think they're more so trying to put on a show. These narcissist celebrities that post extremely revealing photos online of them BF - why do you they are doing it?
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

I think it's obvious that 'breast is best' as far as nutrition goes but I don't think it's as black and white as saying every mum should breastfeed.

I have seen the struggles my old bestfriend went through and also my own struggles, and it's not true that everyone can just do it and that's that. To me, the mental health of the mum is just as important and if it is not working out for her, then there is no shame turning to the bottle.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

#breastisbest

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Nessa: To me, the mental health of the mum is just as important...
What about the mental health of the DAD??? y[-( There's nothing sadder than a man wanting to seek out the comfort of his wife's sexy breasts, but every time he looks, there's a greedy baby attached to one of them! :lol:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:I think it's obvious that 'breast is best' as far as nutrition goes but I don't think it's as black and white as saying every mum should breastfeed.

I have seen the struggles my old bestfriend went through and also my own struggles, and it's not true that everyone can just do it and that's that. To me, the mental health of the mum is just as important and if it is not working out for her, then there is no shame turning to the bottle.

Mental health, mental schmelth. Just put your big girl pants on, and breastfeed. While you're at it, you can multitask like a real woman, and make me a sammich!

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Rick: Just put your big girl pants on, and breastfeed. While you're at it, you can multitask like a real woman, and make me a sammich!

I'll refrain from allowing the mental image of Ness making Rick (or anyone) a sandwich while BF.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Philip wrote:
Rick: Just put your big girl pants on, and breastfeed. While you're at it, you can multitask like a real woman, and make me a sammich!

I'll refrain from allowing the mental image of Ness making Rick (or anyone) a sandwich while BF.
Should be easy since you don't know what they look like :P

Tho on the internet, every woman has perfect breasts :amen:
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Philip wrote:
Nessa: To me, the mental health of the mum is just as important...
What about the mental health of the DAD??? y[-( There's nothing sadder than a man wanting to seek out the comfort of his wife's sexy breasts, but every time he looks, there's a greedy baby attached to one of them! :lol:
:offtopic:

Make an adult to adult breastfeeding thread and stop derailing this one! :P
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Make an adult to adult breastfeeding thread and stop derailing this one! :P
y/:] y:-? Yeah, Rick, enough with the baloney on rye! :P
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Nessa wrote:I think it's obvious that 'breast is best' as far as nutrition goes but I don't think it's as black and white as saying every mum should breastfeed.

If they have an understanding hubby, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to try help get that milk started. ;)

This isn't really a new issue. It's always debated, and I think it's silly that people do. Obviously baby needs something, and if the mother can't produce, then formula is obviously required or baby will starve.

BUT, there are other reasons too. Sometimes women have unrealistic expectations. Initially, you're not going to have much since it's only colostrum. That may not come immediately or only a drop or two. Keep going and more will be produced, but it may not be much or feel like anything. The thing is, if baby isn't feeding or you're not milking what is there, then production will stop.

I know of one person who tried, but gave up only after a few days and went straight to formula. I don't have all the details, but that seems way too early to give up trying. Seems like she may have had unrealistic expectations, or perhaps she just didn't see it as that important. Our last child, the milk took longer than the previous three to kick. A few drops were mixed in with formula. But then, it just kicks in. And eventually the milk changes and just flows out = no more buying cows milk, just ask wife to come over if you need milk in your coffee, or your cereal or what-have-you. :P

Of course if there are issues, then formula. Why feel shame? But, there's no getting around such is only a substitute and breast milk contains all sorts of bacteria and the like good for baby. The milk produced often adapts what baby needs. Natural is always best. Those are just the facts as I see them. Perhaps we should also think more about our own diets all the unnatural processed junk we put into our bodies (well I know I put in mine).