Can someone from a cult teach us truth?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
User avatar
Nessa
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Can someone from a cult teach us truth?

Postby Nessa » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:41 pm

I know someone who has avoided telling me what their belief system is, at least partly because they think I will then dimiss what they say about Jesus and other things.

I think I have finally worked out what they believe now and am going to talk to them about it.

Already this person has taught me things about God that has impacted me. I will not write them off as having nothing to teach me just because I have a different belief system. To me that's both ignorant and arrogant

But I also know how easy it is to automatically dismiss what someone is saying because they don't believe everything we believe.

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 9124
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: Can someone from a cult teach us truth?

Postby Kurieuo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:39 pm

Here's an appropriate part in CS Lewis' Mere Christianity ;) - The Rival Conceptions of God.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaGwF7A79_w
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 18825
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: Can someone from a cult teach us truth?

Postby RickD » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:30 am

Yes, people from cults can teach us truth. A cult may teach 90% truth. But it's the other 10% we need to be cautious about.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Posts: 3343
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:13 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Contact:

Re: Can someone from a cult teach us truth?

Postby neo-x » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:54 am

Ditto, what Rick said.
Anyone can teach us the truth. E.g. in the case of Balaam, it was a donkey.
People treat facts as relevant more when the facts tend to support their opinions. When the facts are against their opinions, they don't necessarily deny the facts, but they say the facts are less relevant or insignificant. This is ofcourse because believing things that make you feel comfortable, takes a priority. And I think that should not be the case if one is after truth.

http://johnadavid.wordpress.com


Return to “General Discussion & Introductions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests