Loneliness

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Loneliness

Post by Nessa »

I thought this would be a good topic to explore.

Maybe you have your own experiences to share or have some biblical insights on loneliness.

Jesus himself went to lonely places to pray.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Loneliness

Post by RickD »

Nessa,

Any idea what is causing your feelings of loneliness?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by melanie »

Nessa, I think that it's a great topic to explore and I really liked that song.
Loneliness is something that at some point everyone has felt, really let's be honest most people experience it regularly. Loneliness isn't necessarily about having little contact with others. We can be around people 24/7 and still feel alone. It's can be more about feeling disconnected and misunderstood.
Really the human experience is about feeling and connecting with others so when we we feel alone it's difficult but we really just have to be true to ourselves.
Sometimes marching to the beat of your own drum means at times you're the only one in that rhythm and that's okay. Individuality and quirkyness has great beauty.
It takes great courage to truely be yourself and great courage to be vulnerable and let people in.

To feel lonely at times is to be human.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

To be alone and to be lonely are two different things.
I like to be alone at times, to do my reading or to talk to God.
I don't recall ever feeling lonely...at least not that I can remember.
I don't think that, once you accept the HS, you will ever be alone and I don't think that you will feel lonely per say if you open yourself to Him.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Actually, I truly love being alone for periods of time. But with two rowdy boys, full of testosterone, and with both Liz and me both working from home - I'm almost never alone. When she and the boys fly to New England, I'm truly happy for the aloneness.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

melanie wrote:Nessa, I think that it's a great topic to explore and I really liked that song.
Loneliness is something that at some point everyone has felt, really let's be honest most people experience it regularly. Loneliness isn't necessarily about having little contact with others. We can be around people 24/7 and still feel alone. It's can be more about feeling disconnected and misunderstood.
Really the human experience is about feeling and connecting with others so when we we feel alone it's difficult but we really just have to be true to ourselves.
Sometimes marching to the beat of your own drum means at times you're the only one in that rhythm and that's okay. Individuality and quirkyness has great beauty.
It takes great courage to truely be yourself and great courage to be vulnerable and let people in.

To feel lonely at times is to be human.
Is menopause really that bad?
:wave:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

PaulSacramento wrote:To be alone and to be lonely are two different things.
I don't think that, once you accept the HS, you will ever be alone and I don't think that you will feel lonely per say if you open yourself to Him.
Do you ever think jesus felt lonely?
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

In the Gethseman garden...
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Nessa wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:To be alone and to be lonely are two different things.
Do you ever think jesus felt lonely?
That is a good question because it seems that some parts of the NT imply as such.
I think that to be fully human is to, at some point, feel abandoned (which is the greatest manifestation of loneliness IMO).
As a he was fully human I would think that at some points He did feel that way, much like we do.
At those moments is when He, like us, opened Himself to the HS and felt His presence and, probably, they had a nice conversation.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:Nessa,

Just wanted to clarify with you and any others who have reached out to me in pm that I didnt start this thread because of anything in particular Im going through.

I thought it would be a great topic to explore since theres no human who hasnt suffered from loneliness at one time or another.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:

Just wanted to clarify with you and any others who have reached out to me in pm that I didnt start this thread because of anything in particular Im going through.

I thought it would be a great topic to explore since theres no human who hasnt suffered from loneliness at one time or another.
Not me. I'm a rock.

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:

Not me. I'm a rock.
I am a rock...I am an islllllllllllaaaaand
:guitar:

melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Last edited by melanie on Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
melanie
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by melanie »

Philip wrote:Actually, I truly love being alone for periods of time. But with two rowdy boys, full of testosterone, and with both Liz and me both working from home - I'm almost never alone. When she and the boys fly to New England, I'm truly happy for the aloneness.
Paul also said;
To be alone and to be lonely are two different things.
I totally agree being alone and feeling lonely can be quite different. I also love my solitude.
With such a busy household, I relish my alone time. There's nothing more rejuvenating than being still and present in my own space.
Feeling lonely is different. Being alone is different to feeling alone.
Loneliness is a struggle for so many. I've felt it only briefly at times but enough to know that it can really be challenging and sometimes break a person.
Perception really is one's reality.
I feel alone therefore I am alone. Which is so often not the case but how we feel often supersedes the reality of the situation.
I have recently read some heartbreaking accounts of young adults and teens who either attempted suicide or succeeded and so often they were surrounded by loving parents, relatives and friends but they felt alone.
Being isolated and alone can lead to loneliness but just as often you can be surrounded by others and still drowning in loneliness.
I honestly believe that spirituality is the key to ultimate connection. To feel or understand even slightly the magnitude in which we are loved fills us up. But spirituality and religiousness statistically doesn't overly lessen loneliness which I'm measuring by depression and suicide which may not be the most accurate measurement of loneliness but it's definitely an indication.
Complete Loneliness is feeling like you are helpless in that thought, moment, experience or for some in life which is why as much as loneliness is part of the human condition so is empathy, connection and friendship. We live in world apparently so connected, like never before but yet so disconnected.
I believe that everyday we make choices to directly impact the happiness of ourselves and others. Sometimes in the most smallest of ways but we are all responsible for the nurturing of each other. People don't just fall through the cracks, we missed it somewhere long before we missed the struggle on the way down.
Stay connected and be kind!
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

melanie wrote:.
that dot seems rather lonely... it needs a friend :esmile: