I take it STTNG's Data had limited free will

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
ultimate777
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

I take it STTNG's Data had limited free will

Post by ultimate777 »

Be just like it if everybody here was ignorant of STTNG. I just don't have the energy to get you up to speed :esad:

IIRC Data could decide to do use his own judgement to do almost anything. But he was programmed not to do evil because of what happened when his brother, Lore, was given regular free will.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: I take it STTNG's Data had limited free will

Post by PaulSacramento »

Not sure if you can call it limited free will rather than limited ability to EXERCISE his free will.
His behavior modification chip didn't allow him to hurt or allow humans to be hurt, IIRC also, BUT it could be superseded if he choose to.
He killed what's his name, Fajo or whatever in The Most toys, when he didn't really HAVE to.
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

PaulSacramento wrote:Not sure if you can call it limited free will rather than limited ability to EXERCISE his free will.
His behavior modification chip didn't allow him to hurt or allow humans to be hurt, IIRC also, BUT it could be superseded if he choose to.
He killed what's his name, Fajo or whatever in The Most toys, when he didn't really HAVE to.
Well he didn't actually kill him because he was beamed aboard.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Stu wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Not sure if you can call it limited free will rather than limited ability to EXERCISE his free will.
Sorry, yes he would have killed him had he not been beamed aboard.
Point is still valid.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

So, here is the thing about free will that skeptics seem to either not get or do not want to get or, far more worse, don't care about:
Responsibility and accountability.

IF there is free will then people are responsible AND accountable for their actions.

If there isn't, then people are NOT.

And that means EVERY ACTION, no matter how horrific and vile.

Let that sink in.
DBowling
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DBowling »

I know that Star Trek is a work of fiction, but it did address a number of fascinating philosophical issues through the character of Data.

So I will release my inner geek and jump in. :)

Star Trek has established the following about Data.
1. Data is sentient (ie... he is self aware)
2. Data has a "creativity" program.
3. Data was deliberately programmed without emotion.

Based on #1 and #2, I would say that Data has "free will". I think that sentience and the capacity for creativity are key components for what many people think of as "free will".
These capabilities are what allows Data to grow and develop as a character throughout the show even though he is incapable (by design) of "emotion".

Dr. Soong (Data's creator) deliberately withheld "emotion" from Data's programming because of the negative impact that emotions had on Data's 'evil' predecessor, Lore.
However, Dr. Soong did create an 'emotion chip' for Data that would be available to Data when he developed to a 'state' where he would be capable of handling emotions without being negatively overwhelmed by them.

In Star Trek Generations (the first TNG motion picture) Data installs the 'emotion chip' and one of the subplots of the movie is Data's struggle to deal with those 'emotions'. In First Contact (the second TNG movie) Data displays the ability to apparently turn his emotion chip on and off at will.

In short, STTNG establishes Data as having sentience, creativity, and free will without necessarily possessing the capacity for "human emotion".
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Stu wrote:
Sorry, yes he would have killed him had he not been beamed aboard.
Point is still valid.
Yeah, just had to correct you on the storyline :p
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

This millennial was confused as heck for a while :P but yeah I know a little bit about science fiction.

For example, take Siri. "She" is a very sophisticated piece of technology, but is not an AI, but a VI. A virtual intelligence. Basically, a virtual intelligence is an over-glorified speak and spell.

An artificial intelligence that has limitations on what it can say or do is called a shackled-AI. And perfect artificial intelligence is hard to discern. Do we use human characteristics to measure it? If so, which ones? Qualities of a soul, such as appreciation of aesthetics, or pure raw intellect and ability to think?

This also ties in with the material vs immaterial argument going on in the free will debate. If a purely autonomous machine could be created, that would probably put the debate to rest if a purely material AI was created.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Hortator wrote:

This also ties in with the material vs immaterial argument going on in the free will debate. If a purely autonomous machine could be created, that would probably put the debate to rest if a purely material AI was created.
How would that put the debate to rest? The debate was about if an immaterial mind could control the material, right?

So hypothetically, an immaterial human mind creates an autonomous machine. The immaterial human mind would completely control how the machine is programmed to work, correct?

Kinda like the "Get your own dirt" joke.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

RickD wrote:
Hortator wrote:

How would that put the debate to rest? The debate was about if an immaterial mind could control the material, right?

So hypothetically, an immaterial human mind creates an autonomous machine. The immaterial human mind would completely control how the machine is programmed to work, correct?

Kinda like the "Get your own dirt" joke.
Whoops, I put the cart before the Tonton this time. :mrgreen: