What hominid groups do you consider to be human in addition to Homo Sapiens?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

What hominid groups do you consider to be human in addition to Homo Sapiens?

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

The term human gets used differently it seems. Some just call Homo Sapiens as humans, others will extend it farther to include Neanderthal and maybe Densivonan, others still will go as far as to include Homo Erectus, Habilis, Ergaster, Heilderbegensis, Naledi, the Flores Hobbit, Austrailiopithecus, and the other pithecus creatures, to varying degrees.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Re: What hominid groups do you consider to be human in addition to Homo Sapiens?

thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Re: What hominid groups do you consider to be human in addition to Homo Sapiens?

Ok so from this image it seems only a handful would be considered human just by looking at the skulls, all the Homo except maybe Habilis and Au. sediba, Au. garhi, and K. platyops maybe.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Only Homo sapiens, with the remote possibility that homosexuals are fully human.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Oh geez I should of thought of Rick.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

RickD wrote:Only Homo sapiens, with the remote possibility that homosexuals are fully human.
You know preGermanic people actually thought that homosexuals weren't fully human since they had a bad spirit when they became gay.
patrick
Established Member

Post by patrick »

All our nearest ancestors are dead, so I don't know. In theory I'd consider any that resembled homo sapiens in their ability to communicate, possess self-awareness, and be morally responsible.
DBowling
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DBowling »

I consider physically modern humans (species homo sapiens sapiens) to be the earliest potential candidates for 'image bearers of God' as described in Genesis 1:26-27.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

patrick wrote:All our nearest ancestors are dead, so I don't know. In theory I'd consider any that resembled homo sapiens in their ability to communicate, possess self-awareness, and be morally responsible.
So from what I've gathered, that would be Neanderthal, Densivonan, maybe Flores Hobbit idk, Heilderbergensis, and Erectus, they all had capability for language (except for Den., Flores, and Heild. im not sure about those) self awareness in tool use, boat making (Erectus made simple boats it seems) and fire use along with art or carvings (Neanderthal had art, Erectus seemed to have made simple carvings) http://www.nature.com/news/neanderthals ... rt-1.15805, as for morally responsible we only know about that with Neanderthals as they buried their dead in a way that seems like care was put into it, so like they had ethical reasons behind it. One finding had a then old man of 40 buried with flowers around. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanidar_Cave
patrick
Established Member

Post by patrick »

That sounds about right, although to be clear the most important of those traits to me is moral responsibility, because of Genesis 3:22. The other two are more general litmus tests because moral sense is much harder to gauge.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Only homo sapiens are humans.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

PaulSacramento wrote:Only homo sapiens are humans.
I've heard people call Neanderthals and Homo Erectus humans, so I guess it depends on who's using it.
In fact in some science circles Neanderthals and Heidelberg man are considered Homo Sapiens along with us, just as different subspecies. H. Heidelbergensis is called archaic Homo Sapiens, which were supposed to live about 600K or so years ago, then came Neanderthal (aka Homo Sapien Neanderthalis) at around 400K or so years, I think Denisovonian, then Homo Sapien idaultu at about 200-150K years, then Homo Sapien Sapien (us), apparently starting at 200-100K years.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

This stuff is easy for me, all of the different hominids except for except for Homo Erectus lived in a totally different world that this world we now live in now and have nothing to do with this world and are not related to any life in this world.They are simply evidence of the kinds of life that once roamed the earth in the former world that once existed that perished.Thanks.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

abelcainsbrother wrote:This stuff is easy for me, all of the different hominids except for except for Homo Erectus lived in a totally different world that this world we now live in now and have nothing to do with this world and are not related to any life in this world.They are simply evidence of the kinds of life that once roamed the earth in the former world that once existed that perished.Thanks.
I understand your position but I gotta say why Erectus? Did u mean Sapiens?
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

At the broadest, I've seen human classification into two groups (three if u have Flores Hobbit as separate). Homo Erectus, including all from Heidelberg Man down to Habilis, and Homo Sapiens, all the rest, sometimes including Heidelberg Man.