First impressions

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

First impressions

Post by Nessa »

How accurate do you think first impressions can be?

Do you think gut reactions can be reliable?

I found the following pic interesting.....

even the way someone dresses can immediately make us judge a person's character

fom-communication-in-the-business-landscape-about-the-importance-of-the-first-impression-2-638.jpg
fom-communication-in-the-business-landscape-about-the-importance-of-the-first-impression-2-638.jpg (101.99 KiB) Viewed 4239 times
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Male

Re: First impressions

Post by Gabrielman »

Meh, first impressions can be over turned by getting to know someone, so their importance may be great in the short term, but in the long term they can prove to be rather wrong. Example, one of my best friends, and Brother in the Lord. My first impression of him was that he was a vindictive jerk. I couldn't be more wrong though. He's one of the best people I've ever met, and no other friend of mine comes as close to me as he does.

So far as gut feelings go... I mean, I should have listened to my gut many many many times in my past and didn't... and that ended very badly for me >_> so... go with your gut? Or maybe I should be the one going with my gut more often...
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Gabrielman wrote:Meh, first impressions can be over turned by getting to know someone, so their importance may be great in the short term, but in the long term they can prove to be rather wrong. Example, one of my best friends, and Brother in the Lord. My first impression of him was that he was a vindictive jerk. I couldn't be more wrong though. He's one of the best people I've ever met, and no other friend of mine comes as close to me as he does.

So far as gut feelings go... I mean, I should have listened to my gut many many many times in my past and didn't... and that ended very badly for me >_> so... go with your gut? Or maybe I should be the one going with my gut more often...
Pride and Prejudice was originally going to be called First Impressions interestingly enough... Classic example how first impressions can be misleading.

But I think first impressions can also be extremely accurate as well. Otherwise people might never care about it.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

What made you think he was a vindictive jerk originally?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

For me, I associated his face with someone previously familiar to me. So then, that person who I closely associated him with due to similar looks, is what I projected onto the guy as being himself -- even if they were two different people.

Yes, the logical part of me says they're two different people. But, the more emotional feeling part of me wants to relate them together. So that is like a first impression via another person based upon similar looks right?

Regarding the clothes, I think I've had enough run ins with people to quickly discard what they are wearing. :econfused: Nonetheless, we will behave differently around someone in a police officer uniform than say a biker, doctor or more casually dressed person -- until we get to know them.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Going by the first pic, who would you rather cross paths with in a dark alley or entrust something precious to?

It would be a gamble but stereotypes and societies influence would cause me to go to the doc BUT......

in saying that, I have been to a church that had tattooed guys on big motorcycles greet us.... we stayed for a decade.
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

Nessa wrote:What made you think he was a vindictive jerk originally?
Simply the way he dressed. I took one look at the guy and thought he was trouble, but after talking to him, I find out he's a devout believer and all around great friend. First impressions can make a short term difference (like a job interview) but in the long run they can end up meaning nothing at all.
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
patrick
Established Member

Post by patrick »

I mean, I think first impressions can be accurate, although like K I tend to look at a person's face -- I'd just woke up when I saw these, and it took me a minute to make sense of the picture because I was thrown off by how similar the faces were in spite of there being two outfits so different I assumed at first there were two different people here.

I think context also plays a big role. I wouldn't trust anyone if I met them in a sketchy place, especially if they looked like they were up to something fishy.

Also, like Gabrielman, my gut reaction tends to change drastically between first sight and talking to someone for a bit. Usually I find there's something true about my first impression, but it's being interpreted wrongly until I've had a chance to get to know the person a little. So I generally always trust *what* my gut is telling me, but I'm careful to not build up anything in my imagination that wasn't there to begin with.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Yea, people tend to think i'm a school shooter or a pedophile by the way i naturally look. Even tho i wouldnt like to be either.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:Yea, people tend to think i'm a school shooter or a pedophile by the way i naturally look. Even tho i wouldnt like to be either.
:shock:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

RickD wrote:
thatkidakayoungguy wrote:Yea, people tend to think i'm a school shooter or a pedophile by the way i naturally look. Even tho i wouldnt like to be either.
Idk if adults think that but teens sometimes do. Especially when i used to have a mullet n i couldn't get it cut bc of my parents' nagging.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
RickD wrote:
Idk if adults think that but teens sometimes do. Especially when i used to have a mullet n i couldn't get it cut bc of my parents' nagging.
Are mullets a symptom of Aspergers?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Post a pic and we will give you our unbiased opinions y:D
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

The guy with tatts looks alot younger than the guy with the doc coat tho same person.

Clothes can definitely affect how old you look
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Nessa, it won't let me for some reason. Probably since im using windows 10.