The spirit and soul in the material and immaterial realms

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Justhuman
Established Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

The spirit and soul in the material and immaterial realms

Post by Justhuman »

I find different explanation for 'soul'. It can refer to 'a living being', but it can also refer to 'the spiritual entity of a living being'. So what is it?
And when we die, what 'detaches' itself from our physical body, what exactly goes 'beyond'? The spirit, the soul, both? Clearly all of ones memory is embedded in ones physical brain, but do all those memories go along with the soul/spirit at death? How is it even possible for memories to stay intact in an immaterial realm, since there is no cohesion that holds it together? I would expect what leaves our body would expand and dissipate in the immaterial world.
The physical and non-physical realms must also be in perfect synchronisation in order for the immaterial spirit/soul to stay bound to each of us. Since the two are the very opposites, how does that bonding take place?
B. W.
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes

Re: The spirit and soul in the material and immaterial realms

Post by B. W. »

Justhuman wrote:I find different explanation for 'soul'. It can refer to 'a living being', but it can also refer to 'the spiritual entity of a living being'. So what is it?
And when we die, what 'detaches' itself from our physical body, what exactly goes 'beyond'? The spirit, the soul, both? Clearly all of ones memory is embedded in ones physical brain, but do all those memories go along with the soul/spirit at death? How is it even possible for memories to stay intact in an immaterial realm, since there is no cohesion that holds it together? I would expect what leaves our body would expand and dissipate in the immaterial world.
The physical and non-physical realms must also be in perfect synchronisation in order for the immaterial spirit/soul to stay bound to each of us. Since the two are the very opposites, how does that bonding take place?
Try to understand that ancient Hebrew in the Torah had only roughly 8,300 words in its vocabulary compared the English which has over 350,000 words. There rest of the OT developed more words later on but still far less than English. The OT used the word translated as 'soul' in English many ways to express many concepts such as ones heart and soul are troubled, vexed, My spirit cries within me, etc and etc.

This causes people to go on tangents and split hairs over issues that really do not matter concerning the use of soul/spirit/body. The context of the verse the word soul, spirit, body helps clarify what these clearly mean. There is no such thing as a one size fits all mechanical definition in language... there is a root meaning which is further built upon according to the context the word is used as in any language used today.

Basically, the concept of spirit, soul, and body make up the triune nature of man's oneness in the ancient Hebrew.

From the Old Testament on this subject one finds that at the point of death, the soul and spirit go together, while the body decays in the ground, waiting for a day when spirit-soul will be reunited with a new body in the future -- see Isa 26:19, Isa 24:21,22 and Dan 12:2 etc and etc.

In the old Hebrew tradition due to the limited vocabulary souls and spirit often were inter changed with each other expressing the unity of being after death, not a split, but unity.

Hope this helps...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Justhuman
Established Member

Post by Justhuman »

So the soul/spirit denotes the single immaterial individual essence of a human being?

As for the material world, which holds only one kind of matter of which all is constructed, does the immaterial world hold only one kind of 'immateriality' of which all is 'constructed' there?
Nicki
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nicki »

Justhuman wrote:So the soul/spirit denotes the single immaterial individual essence of a human being?]/quote]

I think so.
As for the material world, which holds only one kind of matter of which all is constructed, does the immaterial world hold only one kind of 'immateriality' of which all is 'constructed' there?
That's hard to know, but it sounds plausible.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

From what I've gathered the soul/spirit or one of the two has energy. Memory is formed by energy through neurons. When the person dies energy goes somewhere. We see the body returns energy to the dust, it decomposes, but the "you" factor remains elsewhere. This would include the memory and soul/spirit.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Justhuman wrote:So the soul/spirit denotes the single immaterial individual essence of a human being?

Maybe. It wouldn't surprise me. But since the material world also has dark and anti matter in addition to regular matter it's possible the immaterial world has multiple kinds of "immateriality".
Justhuman
Established Member

Post by Justhuman »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:From what I've gathered the soul/spirit or one of the two has energy. Memory is formed by energy through neurons. When the person dies energy goes somewhere. We see the body returns energy to the dust, it decomposes, but the "you" factor remains elsewhere. This would include the memory and soul/spirit.
If the soul/spirit is/are immaterial, then neither can have energy, since energy is part of the material realm.
In order for the spirit, which resides in the immaterial realm, to pick up anything from the physical realm (like memories), there has to be a connection, something that 'binds' them together (in the human brain). But how can something immaterial have any interaction with something material? It's like a contradiction.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Justhuman wrote:
thatkidakayoungguy wrote:From what I've gathered the soul/spirit or one of the two has energy. Memory is formed by energy through neurons. When the person dies energy goes somewhere. We see the body returns energy to the dust, it decomposes, but the "you" factor remains elsewhere. This would include the memory and soul/spirit.
If the soul/spirit is/are immaterial, then neither can have energy, since energy is part of the material realm.
In order for the spirit, which resides in the immaterial realm, to pick up anything from the physical realm (like memories), there has to be a connection, something that 'binds' them together (in the human brain). But how can something immaterial have any interaction with something material? It's like a contradiction.
Wrong. You cannot say that because a soul/spirit is immaterial it has no energy,you are just assuming that is the case.When it comes to spiritual matters we have to go by spiritual books and the bible tells us souls/spirits have energy so you must deny the bible to claim what you're claiming without evidence or knowledge to confirm it.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Justhuman
Established Member

Post by Justhuman »

Energy and matter are the same, belonging to the material realm. Therefore that energy cannot be part of an immaterial world. Maybe there is an immaterial kind of energy, but even then it is something completely different than 'our' energy.

You cannot claim any kind of material 'stuff' to the soul/spirit, because it wouldn't be immaterial anymore. If the soul/spirit is immaterial it cannot have (a material) energy.