The worst apologist in the world

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

The worst apologist in the world

Post by Nessa »

Thats what I feel like today...

Im sure I made all of heaven cringe :econfused:

I met a new co worker at work today and we got onto some spiritual matters. I could hear myself talking and thought [poop], I sound like I'm from some weird, vague cult

Shes writing a book on her journey.

I only managed to challenge her on one point.

How do you absolutely know that there is no absolute truth?

She was stumped for two seconds then told me its all about what we believe. Your heart tells you the truth. Why should it be my business what others believe? Just worry about myself....

She is new age...

My mind went blank and I fumbled for arguments... I felt the way she looked at me was extremely challenging and I felt that alone made me feel defeated.

Yes, I totally failed.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: The worst apologist in the world

Post by Kurieuo »

No, you didn't fail. But, you can challenge her every time she makes an absolute statement.

It's easy reflecting upon what you could have said and done after. But, just carrying any conversation with her about such matters, such is more a success in and of itself than not having any sort of interchange. People can often be influenced through merely knowing others who they know think different from them.

You could have asked her, and what is "the heart" that is always tells us the truth? Has she ever not been led astray by her heart? Plotted to do wrong things in her heart. You'll have another opportunity to continue your conversation should you desire to. Or, to not put her on the spot apply it to yourself like "I don't know about you, but my heart often lies to me in its desires and passions. I've done many wrong things I know to be false and wrong by following my heart alone."

But, just carrying out a personal conversation is often enough to challenge, and vice-versa be challenged. Seeing your own weaknesses should embolden you to better equip yourself. New Age types are often very emotional, mixed up and confused, I think -- so the better tools to use are your heart, empathy and draw from experiences, and to a much lesser extent rationality and logical arguments.

There is a good course as Stands to Reason which teaches some tactics to use in discussion with others. Especially, getting out of the "hot seat", putting them in the "hot seat" and giving you time to think and develop your own responses accordingly. Whenever I feel in the hot seat, feeling an attack, I get the person to explain themselves more, clarify what they mean by this or that in their question (e.g., you could ask them to clarify exactly what is "the heart"? and go from there). Sometimes that's where it stops, because they become unstuck in merely explaining themselves and what they mean by their question. Other times it runs into a much deeper conversation, and if done right, they won't feel threatened. Listening, means you get them to think through their beliefs, while putting a few stones in their shoes with questions that will have them thinking long after the conversation has ended.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Nessa wrote:Thats what I feel like today...

I met a new co worker at work today and we got onto some spiritual matters. I could hear myself talking and thought [poop], I sound like I'm from some weird, vague cult

She was stumped for two seconds then told me its all about what we believe. Your heart tells you the truth. Why should it be my business what others believe? Just worry about myself....

She is new age...

My mind went blank and I fumbled for arguments... I felt the way she looked at me was extremely challenging and I felt that alone made me feel defeated.

Yes, I totally failed.
It kinda reminds me of this song,but don't worry just let your light shine.

A Witch's Invitation
https://youtu.be/zhWFg0QB5Hc
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Nessa wrote:Thats what I feel like today...

She is new age...

Yes, I totally failed.
It kinda reminds me of this song,but don't worry just let your light shine.

A Witch's Invitation
https://youtu.be/zhWFg0QB5Hc
Doesn't everything remind you of a song :P

Thanks, I appreciate peoples feedback :esmile:
Last edited by Nessa on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kurieuo wrote:No, you didn't fail. But, you can challenge her every time she makes an absolute statement.

It's easy reflecting upon what you could have said and done after. But, just carrying any conversation with her about such matters, such is more a success in and of itself than not having any sort of interchange. People can often be influenced through merely knowing others who they know think different from them.

You could have asked her, and what is "the heart" that is always tells us the truth? Has she ever not been led astray by her heart? Plotted to do wrong things in her heart. You'll have another opportunity to continue your conversation should you desire to. Or, to not put her on the spot apply it to yourself like "I don't know about you, but my heart often lies to me in its desires and passions. I've done many wrong things I know to be false and wrong by following my heart alone."

But, just carrying out a personal conversation is often enough to challenge, and vice-versa be challenged. Seeing your own weaknesses should embolden you to better equip yourself. New Age types are often very emotional, mixed up and confused, I think -- so the better tools to use are your heart, empathy and draw from experiences, and to a much lesser extent rationality and logical arguments.

There is a good course as Stands to Reason which teaches some tactics to use in discussion with others. Especially, getting out of the "hot seat", putting them in the "hot seat" and giving you time to think and develop your own responses accordingly. Whenever I feel in the hot seat, feeling an attack, I get the person to explain themselves more, clarify what they mean by this or that in their question (e.g., you could ask them to clarify exactly what is "the heart"? and go from there). Sometimes that's where it stops, because they become unstuck in merely explaining themselves and what they mean by their question. Other times it runs into a much deeper conversation, and if done right, they won't feel threatened. Listening, means you get them to think through their beliefs, while putting a few stones in their shoes with questions that will have them thinking long after the conversation has ended.
When she kept bringing up the heart, I said I believed the heart can be deceitful. She said only good comes from the heart.... bad things come from the mind. And that she believes in magic. Like how God is said to have created the world is 'magic'.
Last edited by Nessa on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

She kept going on about unconditional love and she learnt a way to deal with bullies so that she has much love towards them. And that she can turn the bully around to make them that think, now
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Nessa wrote:She kept going on about unconditional love and she learnt a way to deal with bullies so that she has much love towards them. And that she can turn the bully around to make them that think, now
It might be better to understand her beliefs so that you understand where she is coming from before you try to challenge her,etc.Maybe ask her questions about her belief - new age or read up on it to better understand where she is coming from. It has been awhile since I've researched new age but it seems to have this idea that there is good in all of us on the inside of us we just have to tap into it.It is kinda playing God on here in our world.It is making yourself into a loving God by tapping into the good inside of all of us.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Nessa,

Don't be so hard on yourself. We all have thought of something after the fact, that we wished we had said. You said she's a coworker, so that means you may have other times for conversation.

My suggestion...

Ask God to give her some questions, and for Him to give you the answers.

God knows what you can and cannot answer. Put it in His hands.

Also, show this coworker how good of a listener you are. It'll go a long way to build up trust. So she knows you care about her.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

If one just worries about themselves they are self-centered and selfish.
Enough said.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

We can all be lousy apologists when we are asked on the street to explain Christianity. Don't worry Nessa, the pressure is pretty great to testify for God. I'm sure everybody has failed at one point and made us all look strange to another person.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

That scripture about paul saying he preaches the foolishness of the cross and Christ crucified keeps coming to me. I think its too easy sometimes to rely on your own wisdom and ability. I should be asking to be led by the spirit more. Tho still want to learn tactics like the ones kurieuo linked above. We are suppose to be able to give a reason for our hope.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Nessa wrote:When she kept bringing up the heart, I said I believed the heart can be deceitful. She said only good comes from the heart.... bad things come from the mind. And that she believes in magic. Like how God is said to have created the world is 'magic'.
Nessa wrote:She kept going on about unconditional love and she learnt a way to deal with bullies so that she has much love towards them. And that she can turn the bully around to make them that think, now
I'm still trying to figure out if the strangeness of that woman you spoke to comes from New Age beliefs, as I'd always thought Kiwis were just strange like this in general. :P For example, take the Moana movie.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Nessa wrote:

She is new age...

Yes, I totally failed.
You could've said that if there is no absolute truth then how'd you know your heart tells you truth? How can you know what is a lie or what is false if ultimately there is no absolute truth? In some cases truth is relative and the heart can tell u truth (gut feeling) but you can see why I think postmodernism is baloney.
I've been a really bad apologist on youtube before, I'm still ashamed about one particular time since i'm sure it made some atheists even more distant to God and that it lowered my credibility. But no one's perfect.
Last edited by thatkidakayoungguy on Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:When she kept bringing up the heart, I said I believed the heart can be deceitful. She said only good comes from the heart.... bad things come from the mind. And that she believes in magic. Like how God is said to have created the world is 'magic'.
I'm still trying to figure out if the strangeness of that woman you spoke to comes from New Age beliefs, as I'd always thought Kiwis were just strange like this in general. :P For example, take the Moana movie.
I still have to see that movie. I've been told it's very good :esmile:

This woman was french. But not the rude kind ;)
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:
Nessa wrote:

She is new age...

Yes, I totally failed.
You could've said that if there is no absolute truth then how'd you know your heart tells you truth?
I've been a really bad apologist on youtube before, I'm still ashamed about one particular time since i'm sure it made some atheists even more distant to God and that it lowered my credibility. But no one's perfect.
Do you have a youtube channel?

I have a feeling that she has made her heart her own God. She is convinced the heart is all good and that is how we know what good is.