Self Control

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Self Control

Post by Nessa »

Im wondering if others struggle in this area. If im down then I will eat too much junk. If I bump my foot the f word will come flying out. Too much tv.... I guess we all have our weaknesses but sometimes I find there is not even a desire to control myself.

So just wondering what areas (if any) you guys struggle to have self control in and what you do about it.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Male

Re: Self Control

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

In some areas yes, like with procrastination or thinking bad/impure thoughts. Ik the bible helps and sometimes I read it but it's so easy not to! I also try to think about good things and will memorize a verse or part of a verse to help.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

thatkidakayoungguy wrote:In some areas yes, like with procrastination or thinking bad/impure thoughts. Ik the bible helps and sometimes I read it but it's so easy not to! I also try to think about good things and will memorize a verse or part of a verse to help.
I forgot about procrastination...

I think mood plays a big part, especially anger or depression. You can get to the point where you dont care and a hardness can set in.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:Im wondering if others struggle in this area. If im down then I will eat too much junk. If I bump my foot the f word will come flying out. Too much tv.... I guess we all have our weaknesses but sometimes I find there is not even a desire to control myself.

So just wondering what areas (if any) you guys struggle to have self control in and what you do about it.
I didn't know that the f word was used in New Zealand. I thought you just said, "blimey", and "****".

I find myself having less patience, and getting aggravated easier when I'm more tired. I think I get more aggravated with myself, when I make stupid mistakes.

I also lose it with bad drivers. Too many lazy drivers around here. I used to think everyone's turn signals were broken, but now I'm convinced that 80% of drivers just don't have a left hand.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Being tired majorly affects attitude and mood. My wife and I have a rule - we try to never discuss anything of importance after 10 pm - as it NEVER goes well. And I forget that rule at my great peril! Ever see that scene in the Exoricist when Linda Blair's head spins around - yeah, you get the picture. :shock:
patrick
Established Member

Post by patrick »

Mostly when I feel it's not important. Emphasis on "feel." Like when I was working with kids, even though I found it very hard to stop swearing the week before I started, by the time I started I had all but gotten myself to stop.

I do cut myself more breaks when I'm tired, but I tend to be very sensitive to the consequences of my breaks. Like if I drink too much or eat unhealthy foods or don't get up to exercise, all of those have consequences I've felt so many times it's hard for me to think of one without the other. So I get frustrated with myself if I start cutting myself a break when I don't really need it. Also, I tend to enjoy things like watching shows more when I've stayed working and not done it much in a while.

That said, I do admit to a kind of apathy towards what's good -- "acedia" it's called. So for the most part, judging myself as lacking self-control is something I only really do when the consequence is obvious. Though observing myself and how I feel in response to "questionably bad" things has led me to care more and change myself somewhat.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:Im wondering if others struggle in this area. If im down then I will eat too much junk. If I bump my foot the f word will come flying out. Too much tv.... I guess we all have our weaknesses but sometimes I find there is not even a desire to control myself.

I didn't know that the f word was used in New Zealand. I thought you just said, "blimey", and "****".

I find myself having less patience, and getting aggravated easier when I'm more tired. I think I get more aggravated with myself, when I make stupid mistakes.

I also lose it with bad drivers. Too many lazy drivers around here. I used to think everyone's turn signals were broken, but now I'm convinced that 80% of drivers just don't have a left hand.
Are you kidding about being ignorant on NZ swear words? Dont [nonsense] me :P
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:
RickD wrote:

Are you kidding about being ignorant on NZ swear words? Dont [nonsense] me :P
Sheesh! And there goes the "friendly and polite" stereotype of Kiwis! y#-o
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Ged
Established Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Ged »

Several suggestions:
  1. boot the cat
  2. go on a 40-day fast
  3. become a Nun
enjoy. y0:)
Free, printable Bible studies for groups.
www.5loaves2fishes.net/free-resources