Why are people so blind?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Why are people so blind?

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

https://www.facebook.com/TheGayFlight/p ... =3&theater
The bible says to love gays yet it also says being gay is a sin. This article tries to justify homosexuality by saying shrimp in the Old Testament was called an abomination more than being gay. Note I'm not trying to be a homophobe, like some may think, I'm pointing out how stubborn and ignorant people can be.
There's other examples of biblical blindness too but I won't post them here in this post.
PS why is the LGBT community forcing itself on society so hard in the past 2 years.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Why are people so blind?

Post by RickD »

Where does the Bible say that "being gay" is a sin?

Book, chapter and verse please.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Depends upon what one means by "being gay."
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

RickD wrote:Where does the Bible say that "being gay" is a sin?

Just to be clear, you're saying being gay isn't a sin, or is the above rhetoric?

oh...I remember, and correct me if I am wrong here, but you think being gay isn't sin, having gay sex is?
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

neo-x wrote:

Just to be clear, you're saying being gay isn't a sin, or is the above rhetoric?

oh...I remember, and correct me if I am wrong here, but you think being gay isn't sin, having gay sex is?
I think the Bible is clear, when it says that homosexual sex is a sin. But, I don't recall anywhere that it says, "being gay" is a sin.

Any sex outside of marriage is a sin. Whether that's heterosexual or homosexual.

I'm going by what scripture says, and I'm trying not to read something that it doesn't actually say.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

RickD wrote:
neo-x wrote:

I think the Bible is clear, when it says that homosexual sex is a sin. But, I don't recall anywhere that it says, "being gay" is a sin.

Any sex outside of marriage is a sin. Whether that's heterosexual or homosexual.

I'm going by what scripture says, and I'm trying not to read something that it doesn't actually say.
Ok fair enough...so what do you mean when you say "being gay".
E.g when I say "being gay" I mean someone who wants to mate with the same sex.
Do you mean any different? because if not, does that mean the desire to mate with the same sex is not a sin?
The way I see it, it's the same, just as you said, that any sex outside marriage is sinful, Jesus even went as far as to say that even thinking about it is a sin.

So that's the contradiction I'm seeing. You are saying that being gay isn't a sin, which means people wanting to mate with the same sex, but obviously, Jesus says even thinking about any kind of unlawful sex is wrong.

So do you feel that what Jesus said doesn't apply to gays?
Because, what I deduce from what you said is that having a desire for gay sex is fine just don't have actual gay sex because that is wrong.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

neo-x wrote:
RickD wrote:
neo-x wrote:

Ok fair enough...so what do you mean when you say "being gay".
E.g when I say "being gay" I mean someone who wants to mate with the same sex.
Do you mean any different? because if not, does that mean the desire to mate with the same sex is not a sin?
The way I see it, it's the same, just as you said, that any sex outside marriage is sinful, Jesus even went as far as to say that even thinking about it is a sin.

So that's the contradiction I'm seeing. You are saying that being gay isn't a sin, which means people wanting to mate with the same sex, but obviously, Jesus says even thinking about any kind of unlawful sex is wrong.

So do you feel that what Jesus said doesn't apply to gays?
Because, what I deduce from what you said is that having a desire for gay sex is fine just don't have actual gay sex because that is wrong.
Being gay, simply means being attracted to the same sex. Being gay doesn't mean, "wanting to mate with the same sex", just as being straight doesn't mean, "wanting to mate with the opposite sex".

When it goes from an attraction, to lust(wanting to mate as you put it), I think that's when it goes into sin.

A desire to have sex(lust) with anyone but one's spouse, is a sin. Whether that desire is Heterosexual, or Homosexual. Lust is lust.

-Edward R Murrow

Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

I would say that having a thought is not sin, but going further, by entertaining its possibilities and pondering and dwelling upon its potential pleasures, beyond the initial thought, is sin. Because dwelling upon and contemplating a sin is what precedes actions that will lead to finding ourselves immersed in it. The slippery slope is in our minds!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Philip wrote:I would say that having a thought is not sin, but going further, by entertaining its possibilities and pondering and dwelling upon its potential pleasures, beyond the initial thought, is sin. Because dwelling upon and contemplating a sin is what precedes actions that will lead to finding ourselves immersed in it. The slippery slope is in our minds!
I wouldn't really disagree with that.

I think my point is that I don't think scripture says anywhere, that having a same sex attraction is a sin. I'm just trying to be careful not to read something into scripture, that it doesn't say.

Romans 1:27:
and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.

That seems to say that the desire, or the lusting after the same sex is unnatural, and the sexual acts are wrong.

-Edward R Murrow

thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

There are people who change from having homosexual attractions to having heterosexual ones, despite what the mainstream media will say.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Sex/story?id=117465
The thing is though if you point this out people, even some Christians, will bash you and ostracize you etc. Reminds me of 2 Timothy 4:3.
My question now is why is society so sex obsessed?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

The bible address the ACT of sinning.
Being Gay is no more a sin then being born with an addictive personality or being a person with emotional issues or anger management problems or being a kleptomaniac or being born with sexual obsessives problems.

The bible speaks that the ACT of homosexuality is a sin.
Ecclesiastes12
Acquainted Member

Post by Ecclesiastes12 »

It's important to remember that, in the time of the Bible, there was no such thing as heterosexuality or homosexuality as we understand those terms today. People just didn't define themselves in that way. I don't think the Bible says that homosexuality is wrong.

There are certainly some homosexual acts that are wrong, but then again, there are heterosexual acts that are wrong too. It doesn't mean that heterosexuality or homosexuality is uniformly wrong. If I'm missing something, someone let me know.
Mallz
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Mallz »

Ecclesiastes12 wrote:It's important to remember that, in the time of the Bible, there was no such thing as heterosexuality or homosexuality as we understand those terms today. People just didn't define themselves in that way. I don't think the Bible says that homosexuality is wrong.

There are certainly some homosexual acts that are wrong, but then again, there are heterosexual acts that are wrong too. It doesn't mean that heterosexuality or homosexuality is uniformly wrong. If I'm missing something, someone let me know.
I'm not sure how you can say what I underlined? How do you think same sex attraction and attraction to the opposite sex were different anytime in human history? The Bible does say homosexuality is a sin (I'll give one out of many to not be redundant) Romans 1:26–27.

It appears to me you are equating heterosexuality and homosexuality? I don't see how that is real?
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

Ecclesiastes12 wrote:It's important to remember that, in the time of the Bible, there was no such thing as heterosexuality or homosexuality as we understand those terms today. People just didn't define themselves in that way. I don't think the Bible says that homosexuality is wrong.

Be more specific.... you are too vague.

Which heterosexual and homosexual acts do you consider wrong?
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Ecclesiastes12 wrote: I don't think the Bible says that homosexuality is wrong.
You might want to read through some of the articles on the topic, from the Godandscience page: http://www.godandscience.org/doctrine/h ... icles.html