God as a big black woman

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
User avatar
Nessa
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: God as a big black woman

Postby Nessa » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:04 am

Hortator wrote:God was black wayyy back in "Bruce Almighty" (2002) portrayed by Morgan Freeman, and he NAILED that role. I think the only thing I could quibble with this depiction of God is that God is male, not female. Other than gender, there really is no way of knowing what he looks like. God could be blue on one half, and red on the other half of His body, and every guess is equally as likely to be true.

Also I really want to check out this movie now

The movie was funny... pity he had to be almighty before he could give his wife such pleasure tho :lol:

User avatar
Nessa
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: God as a big black woman

Postby Nessa » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:14 am

PaulSacramento wrote:Nessa, I am glad YOU don't need God to "appear" to you in an unconventional manner ( whatever that may mean).
Then again, the book isn't about YOU or ME, is it?


You are missing my point.

God does not compromise who he is to heal us. We dont need to see God as a woman simply because God is not.

I have nothing against woman. A woman-God tho? Yes.

User avatar
Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 6089
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains

Re: God as a big black woman

Postby Philip » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:21 am

Yes, a woman god would strike fear in to most men's heart. Except at my house. :roll: Though, a goddess, I can accept. :mrgreen:

User avatar
B. W.
Board Moderator
Posts: 8091
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 am
Christian: Yes
Location: Colorado

Re: God as a big black woman

Postby B. W. » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:40 am

The Shack - book and movie - should be judged by its underlying doctrines it promotes.

It indeed teaches universalsim which is error...

Teaches that people can shack up with God in the world sense of shacking up...

Teaches the wrong view of God and mocks God's nature of love by spinning His deep vast love in human terms such as tolerance defines love.

One scene clip mentions basically it does not matter what one believes as long as one believes... is what is important. In other words, all make it to heaven and skip judgment, so go ahead and live trashy, justify ones trash, cause god tolerance is simply love in action.

Now the Shack may have a good message about human beings forgiving each other, it strays from there into the ways of populism of public opinion as the measure of salvation. In other words: it does not matter what one believes as long as they believe... is what is important. We are such good people after all and God wuvs us so much cause we are so innocently cuddly victims and so good that he will let all into heaven where we all sing kumbaya.

God so loved the world that He gave his unique one of a kind son ... that whosoever believes in him... is not left in a condemned state.... Read all of John 3:16,17,18,19,20,21,36 in context...

One must believe on Him alone as he is the only way, the truth and the life... to escape being an enemy of God.

That Shack largely ignores and twist things like that in another direction...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8155
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: God as a big black woman

Postby PaulSacramento » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:24 pm

Nessa wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Nessa, I am glad YOU don't need God to "appear" to you in an unconventional manner ( whatever that may mean).
Then again, the book isn't about YOU or ME, is it?


You are missing my point.

God does not compromise who he is to heal us. We dont need to see God as a woman simply because God is not.

I have nothing against woman. A woman-God tho? Yes.

God is not a woman, nor is He Male.
We are talking about how God chooses to present Himself in Human form

User avatar
Nessa
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: God as a big black woman

Postby Nessa » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:37 pm

God is father and jesus is a man... the God-man..
not God-woman

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8155
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: God as a big black woman

Postby PaulSacramento » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:05 pm

B. W. wrote:The Shack - book and movie - should be judged by its underlying doctrines it promotes.

It indeed teaches universalsim which is error...

Teaches that people can shack up with God in the world sense of shacking up...

Teaches the wrong view of God and mocks God's nature of love by spinning His deep vast love in human terms such as tolerance defines love.

One scene clip mentions basically it does not matter what one believes as long as one believes... is what is important. In other words, all make it to heaven and skip judgment, so go ahead and live trashy, justify ones trash, cause god tolerance is simply love in action.

Now the Shack may have a good message about human beings forgiving each other, it strays from there into the ways of populism of public opinion as the measure of salvation. In other words: it does not matter what one believes as long as they believe... is what is important. We are such good people after all and God wuvs us so much cause we are so innocently cuddly victims and so good that he will let all into heaven where we all sing kumbaya.

God so loved the world that He gave his unique one of a kind son ... that whosoever believes in him... is not left in a condemned state.... Read all of John 3:16,17,18,19,20,21,36 in context...

One must believe on Him alone as he is the only way, the truth and the life... to escape being an enemy of God.

That Shack largely ignores and twist things like that in another direction...
-
-
-

BW, I didn't get ANY of that from the Book.
IIRC:
Yes, it says that ALL will have a chance to reconcile with God, not that all will be saved.
There is no "shacking up", not sure where you got that...
As for the " it doesn't matter what one believes, as long as one believes", yes, I recall that BUT I understood it as it doesn't matter how one believes in God and Christ ( because it is mentioned, repeatedly, that there is no reconciliation without Christ), as long as one believes.

As for God's love and its views on it:
Again, going on memory, God's love for ALL is unconditional BUT that doesn't mean that all is forgiven and you can do anything at all and God is ok with it.
Love is unconditional, but reconciliation isn't.

The WHOLE point of The Shack is to reconcile with God IF everyone was saved then why on earth did God decide to reveal Himself to Mack so that Mack would be reconciled ???

Re-read that last part because it address that supposed "universalism" of the shack that SEEMS to suggest that all are saved.

Agian, if that was the case, why would God reveal Himself to Mack ??

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8155
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: God as a big black woman

Postby PaulSacramento » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:06 pm

Nessa wrote:God is father and jesus is a man... the God-man..
not God-woman


So, When God says:
26 Then God said, “Let us make man[h] in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

27 So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.

What female is He referring to ???

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 8155
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: God as a big black woman

Postby PaulSacramento » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:08 pm

I want to reiterate this part:
The Shack repeatedly states that humans can't reconcile to God without Christ, it does that by saying it and does it by symbolism - when Mack is with Jesus he can walk on water, but when he tries to without him, he sinks and is reminded:
You can try this without Jesus, but it won't work, you need HIM to be there with you.

User avatar
Nessa
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: God as a big black woman

Postby Nessa » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:12 pm

PaulSacramento wrote:
Nessa wrote:God is father and jesus is a man... the God-man..
not God-woman


So, When God says:
26 Then God said, “Let us make man[h] in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

27 So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.

What female is He referring to ???


Are you trying to promote a more 'unisex' version of God?

God is male as far as Jesus goes...and all fathers are male. God is spirit so in that sense he is not male but it feels you are being too broad with your brush in bringing out a feminity that isnt there.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 18825
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: God as a big black woman

Postby RickD » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:16 pm

Paul, you're killing me!

I didn't give a rat's bee-hind about seeing this movie, but now I want to see it.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Posts: 4345
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:31 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: God as a big black woman

Postby abelcainsbrother » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:27 pm

PaulSacramento wrote:I want to reiterate this part:
The Shack repeatedly states that humans can't reconcile to God without Christ, it does that by saying it and does it by symbolism - when Mack is with Jesus he can walk on water, but when he tries to without him, he sinks and is reminded:
You can try this without Jesus, but it won't work, you need HIM to be there with you.


Kindof reminds me if this song.
Walk On Water
https://youtu.be/Ya-r674mxbw
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 9124
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: God as a big black woman

Postby Kurieuo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:32 pm

Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Out of couriosity, is the issue that God appears as a Woman or Black or a Black Woman?

I hate all stories where Jesus re-appears as anyone e.g., the Joshua movie or like. Especially considering there are many cults built around such a premise, it's just not good to encourage. And indeed, if one understands their Christian theology such is even heretical in/of itself (though I'll refrain from burning anyone at the stake for it).

There's no reason for Jesus to return, He did His work, and the next time He returns it'll be to wrap everything up. It ignores the prophecies, which Christ fulfilled. It ignores the purpose of Christ coming in the first place, which wasn't to shower love upon us, but rather to atone for us. So then, this movie doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, though I'll watch since it seems to polarise Christians.

I'm curious though, you say it was a reason you became Christian. How, or what about it exactly made you become Christian? I'm think you were more already on your way, and doubt there's any one reason one comes to Christ. Rather, it may have been the final "straw" that broke you so-to-speak. But, nonetheless, interested to know.


I talked about the movie Joshua recently with someone. I agree with you about the movie but there is one scene I think has value.

There is a woman who gets confused and tries to kiss him. Of course he was 'Jesus' so he knew it was coming... so he side stepped it.

Jesus was a man and Im sure there were women who were attracted to him sexually. And because he was a man he would have been attracted to some as well.

Theres other movies like 'the past temptation' that evily try to put this part of Jesus forth.

I tend to think Jesus saw us all as his children. If I were a man, and only had daughters around me, then would I be attracted to one? So it depends in what way, Jesus' attraction. I can appreciate my daughter's beauty, and her intelligence, but I can't ever fathom being attracted to her sexually.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

User avatar
Nessa
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: God as a big black woman

Postby Nessa » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:15 pm

Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Out of couriosity, is the issue that God appears as a Woman or Black or a Black Woman?

I hate all stories where Jesus re-appears as anyone e.g., the Joshua movie or like. Especially considering there are many cults built around such a premise, it's just not good to encourage. And indeed, if one understands their Christian theology such is even heretical in/of itself (though I'll refrain from burning anyone at the stake for it).

There's no reason for Jesus to return, He did His work, and the next time He returns it'll be to wrap everything up. It ignores the prophecies, which Christ fulfilled. It ignores the purpose of Christ coming in the first place, which wasn't to shower love upon us, but rather to atone for us. So then, this movie doesn't appeal to me in the slightest, though I'll watch since it seems to polarise Christians.

I'm curious though, you say it was a reason you became Christian. How, or what about it exactly made you become Christian? I'm think you were more already on your way, and doubt there's any one reason one comes to Christ. Rather, it may have been the final "straw" that broke you so-to-speak. But, nonetheless, interested to know.


I talked about the movie Joshua recently with someone. I agree with you about the movie but there is one scene I think has value.

There is a woman who gets confused and tries to kiss him. Of course he was 'Jesus' so he knew it was coming... so he side stepped it.

Jesus was a man and Im sure there were women who were attracted to him sexually. And because he was a man he would have been attracted to some as well.

Theres other movies like 'the past temptation' that evily try to put this part of Jesus forth.

I tend to think Jesus saw us all as his children. If I were a man, and only had daughters around me, then would I be attracted to one? So it depends in what way, Jesus' attraction. I can appreciate my daughter's beauty, and her intelligence, but I can't ever fathom being attracted to her sexually.


Jesus was tempted in everyway so that must include sexual temptation.

Not every human is a child of God.

I think there is societal taboos put in place that help guard against incest but once upon a time incest happened. Even in the bible. So at one point of time, incest was permitted. Abraham was the half brother of sarah etc.

User avatar
Nessa
Make me a Sammich Member
Posts: 3125
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: God as a big black woman

Postby Nessa » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:24 pm

I think Jesus saw us as little children in some ways but ultimately he always pointed us to the father.

I see us as co-heirs with Christ so its more of a brother/sister relationship tho I also believe he is the lover of our souls.


Return to “General Discussion & Introductions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests