Is being an atheist irrational?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Is being an atheist irrational?

Post by abelcainsbrother »

RickD wrote:ACB,

Now I see where you get your technique.

I don't know if you know of ShockofGod on youtube but he is a former atheist now Christian who has totally destroyed all of the top atheists with one question -"What proof and evidence do you have that atheism is accurate and correct?
He got a proper answer to the question, the way it was asked.

According to the person answering, atheism is a lack of a belief in God. He's 100% sure that he lacks belief in God, therefore, atheism is correct.

It's a meaningless question.

Prove theism is true. I believe in God, therefore theism(a belief in God) is true.

Stupid, and utterly pointless.

Actually I figured it out all on my own that atheists lack evidence from dealing with them online.It was recently that I found out about ShockofGod's question to atheists.The problem is that we do have evidence Christianity or theism is correct,it is atheists that have no proof or evidence there is no God,so it is irrational and yet they accept that world view,while ignoring the evidence Christianity is true.Proof might be too big a word for either but not evidence,we have mountains of amount of evidence Christianity is true but atheists admit they have no evidence at all for their world-view.

You say atheism is the lack of a belief in God and so it is 100% true,but where is your evidence it is correct for you to hold to such a position to lack the belief in a God? How do you know it is accurate and correct compared to all other world views?
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Philip wrote:To me, judging whether atheism is irrational or not, comes down to the probabilities one should consider, as per what is possible and what is off-the-charts unlikely.

To me it is irrational to hold to a world-view where you know you have no evidence it is true. How do you think Christians like WLC are able to debate atheists,muslims,etc and beat them in debates? It is from giving evidence and reasons Christianity and theism is accurate and correct,yet when one examines atheism it is the only world view where they ignore evidence for God while having none that there is no God.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Justhuman
Established Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Justhuman »

abelcainsbrother wrote:... Atheists will tell you they don't have to have any evidence if they are an atheist because they claim it is a default position.Which is hog-wash and is irrational. These people do not care what is the truth and have been duped by people who just bash God and mock the bible.This is all atheists can do,while they sit there knowing that they have accepted a world-view they have no way of knowing is correct and true...
I'm an atheist and I never said I (or we) do not 'have to have' any evidence. Where did you get that idea from?
I do not have the (ultimate) evidence, but that's something different.
Justhuman
Established Member

Post by Justhuman »

abelcainsbrother wrote:... Actually I figured it out all on my own that atheists lack evidence from dealing with them online.It was recently that I found out about ShockofGod's question to atheists.The problem is that we do have evidence Christianity or theism is correct,it is atheists that have no proof or evidence there is no God,so it is irrational and yet they accept that world view,while ignoring the evidence Christianity is true.Proof might be too big a word for either but not evidence,we have mountains of amount of evidence Christianity is true but atheists admit they have no evidence at all for their world-view.

You say atheism is the lack of a belief in God and so it is 100% true,but where is your evidence it is correct for you to hold to such a position to lack the belief in a God? How do you know it is accurate and correct compared to all other world views?
You 'figured it out'? Well ACB, billions (or at least millions) of people have figured it out, with bmillions of (slightly) different views, so who's right?

Whats proof and whats evidence? I must look into that difference more closely.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Justhuman wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:... Actually I figured it out all on my own that atheists lack evidence from dealing with them online.It was recently that I found out about ShockofGod's question to atheists.The problem is that we do have evidence Christianity or theism is correct,it is atheists that have no proof or evidence there is no God,so it is irrational and yet they accept that world view,while ignoring the evidence Christianity is true.Proof might be too big a word for either but not evidence,we have mountains of amount of evidence Christianity is true but atheists admit they have no evidence at all for their world-view.

You 'figured it out'? Well ACB, billions (or at least millions) of people have figured it out, with bmillions of (slightly) different views, so who's right?

Yes,I figured it out and all of the different views means only one can be right because they contradict one another and so they all cannot be right,only one will be right out of all of them and so it behooves us to go by evidence to determine which one is true and so you already know atheism is not true,so you should look into other world views and decide to go by evidence. An easier way to do this is to just break it down to the most popular world views out there.

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

JustHuman wrote:You 'figured it out'? Well ACB, billions (or at least millions) of people have figured it out, with bmillions of (slightly) different views, so who's right?

JH, the last video I linked to, if you watch it through, I personally find to be a very large distinction between Christian beliefs and that found elsewhere. Some consider it a weakness, it's too easy. For others, if something is to be true, and there is some hope for us, then this is what it would look like. I'd recommend watching that video, to just better understand a main idea that many Christians see their "religious" beliefs as quite unique.

I'd like to add that I think "religion" is also a misleading term. For example, Islam is both religion and very political, even contains code for miliary conquest. Buddhism more of a philsophy which even Atheists might appreciate, Hinduism a mish-mash of whatever you think sounds good (neopolitan icecream anyone?), and then you know, certain Atheist groups appear quite "religious" with their rules and ideas one ought to follow and embrace. "God" isn't at the centre of all religions, rather etymologically, the meaning of religion is to do with reverence or obligation. Therefore, I see it ("religion") as a term appropriate to many different views of the world, not simply those where God is central.

Edit: Why is this important? Because at the end of the day we all carry very different beliefs. It really isn't this religion vs that religion, but rather this view of the world versus that view of the world. Some views are idealised and humans create rules and try and subjudate other people. Power, fame, money, greed have lead many humans astray.

So then, there are many diverse views of the world. So what? This doesn't mean that NO view is correct, it certainly doesn't mean ALL are just as good as each other. Rather, it means either ONE view is correct and others wrong (where beliefs contradict), or ALL could be wrong.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Justhuman wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:... Atheists will tell you they don't have to have any evidence if they are an atheist because they claim it is a default position.Which is hog-wash and is irrational. These people do not care what is the truth and have been duped by people who just bash God and mock the bible.This is all atheists can do,while they sit there knowing that they have accepted a world-view they have no way of knowing is correct and true...
I'm an atheist and I never said I (or we) do not 'have to have' any evidence. Where did you get that idea from?
If the most popular of atheists out there claim they don't need any evidence because atheism is the default position and so they don't need any,and thus admit to you there is no evidence for atheism being accurate and correct then I doubt you have evidence. But if you do? It would be a first and you could finally put it up against evidence for Christianity being true and must overcome this massive amount of evidence in order to be convincing.This is one reason muslims lose deabtes to Christians all the time,it is because they don't have convincing evidence like Christianity does.I like to debate to see who has the most evidence for what they believe which is one way I realized atheists have none. I'm an evidence type person and so evidence is important to me and this is why it is frustrating debating atheists because they have none to present.The bible tells us to prove all things and hold fast to that which is good and so it is important for us to go by evidence and wise Christians do.
Last edited by abelcainsbrother on Mon May 15, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Justhuman wrote:
If the most popular of atheists out there claim they don't need any evidence because atheism is the default position and so they don't need any,and thus admit to you there is no evidence for atheism being accurate and correct then I doubt you have evidence. But if you do? It would be a first and you could finally put it up against evidence for Christianity being true and must overcome this massive amount of evidence in order to be convincing.This is one reason why muslims lose debates to Christians all the time,it is because they don't have convincing evidence like Christianity does.I like to debate to see who has the most evidence for what they believe which is one way I realized atheists have none. I'm an evidence type person and so evidence is important to me and this is why it is frustrating debating atheists because they have none to present.The bible tells us to prove all things and hold fast to that which is good and so it is important for us to go by evidence and wise Christians do.

Justhuman
Established Member

Post by Justhuman »

The problem with online discussions, like this, is that it lacks direct interactions. We write our post, and write an answer back, but that's not talking. The written word is so different from the spoken word, often lacking the intonation and feeling what's behind it. To figure something out solely by online discussions (safely in our seats at home, in our own bubble) is most unlikely because that is not the right medium to 'talk'.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

abelcainsbrother wrote:

I don't know if you know of ShockofGod on youtube but he is a former atheist now Christian who has totally destroyed all of the top atheists with one question -"What proof and evidence do you have that atheism is accurate and correct?

According to the person answering, atheism is a lack of a belief in God. He's 100% sure that he lacks belief in God, therefore, atheism is correct.

Prove theism is true. I believe in God, therefore theism(a belief in God) is true.

Actually I figured it out all on my own that atheists lack evidence from dealing with them online.It was recently that I found out about ShockofGod's question to atheists.The problem is that we do have evidence Christianity or theism is correct,it is atheists that have no proof or evidence there is no God,so it is irrational and yet they accept that world view,while ignoring the evidence Christianity is true.Proof might be too big a word for either but not evidence,we have mountains of amount of evidence Christianity is true but atheists admit they have no evidence at all for their world-view.

ACB,

Can you see the difference between these two statements?

1) I believe God does not exist

2) God does not exist

The guy in the video was asking atheists for proof of #1, when he should've been asking for proof of #2.

He rightfully got laughed off of whatever show that was.

You would make it a better point if you asked atheists for (A)proof that God doesn't exist, instead of asking them for (B) proof that they don't believe God exists-atheism.

I hope you can see the distinction that shockofgod didn't see.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:

ACB,

2) God does not exist

The guy in the video was asking atheists for proof of #1, when he should've been asking for proof of #2.

You would make it a better point if you asked atheists for (A)proof that God doesn't exist, instead of asking them for (B) proof that they don't believe God exists-atheism.

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:

ACB,

2) God does not exist

Let's see. What proof and evidence do you have that atheism is accurate and correct? OK not one of the atheists on the show could provide proof and evidence atheism is accurate and correct,but one atheist says atheism is the lack of a belief in a God and my proof is I lack belief in a God. Is this what you're getting at? Because if it is? I think it is just semantics and word games in order to avoid providing evidence atheism is accurate and correct because they don't like that question and I think that you can tell by how flabergasted they were with that question.Because atheists need to have evidence that it is accurate and correct to lack the belief in a God,which they do not have. Are you saying that he should ask "What proof and evidence can you provide that it is accurate and correct to lack the belief in a God?

Justhuman
Established Member

Post by Justhuman »

I wonder, if being an atheist is irrational, then is being a theist rational?
Justhuman
Established Member

Post by Justhuman »

@ACB
NO, it is not 'need tot have'. It is also not 'want to have', but maybe 'like to have'. In that respect I think we atheists aren't different than theists.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

acb wrote:

Let's see. What proof and evidence do you have that atheism is accurate and correct? OK not one of the atheists on the show could provide proof and evidence atheism is accurate and correct,but one atheist says atheism is the lack of a belief in a God and my proof is I lack belief in a God. Is this what you're getting at? Because if it is? I think it is just semantics and word games in order to avoid providing evidence atheism is accurate and correct because they don't like that question and I think that you can tell by how flabergasted they were with that question.Because atheists need to have evidence that it is accurate and correct to lack the belief in a God,which they do not have. Are you saying that he should ask "What proof and evidence can you provide that it is accurate and correct to lack the belief in a God?
These strong atheists believe that there is no God. You need to ask for their proof that God does not exist. And don't settle for the usual answer that they don't need to prove a lack of belief. That's a bull crap answer. Atheism is not a lack of belief in God. It's a belief that God doesn't exist. They need to back that belief, just as much as a theist who believes God does exist.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony