Is being an atheist irrational?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Is being an atheist irrational?

Post by Kurieuo »

Justhuman wrote:I wonder, if being an atheist is irrational, then is being a theist rational?
I'm not sure "Athiest" and "Theist" are about "being" more than a "state of belief". What do I mean? Well, it isn't like we have this species called Atheists and another species called Theists. We're one and the same type of "being" that is human. So, if I say Atheists are irrational, and I mean ontologically in their being or nature, then I think it'd be hard for me to turn around to say, "but I'm rational".

What is meant rather, is that to believe "there is no God" is irrational. Like to believe "I don't exist" is irrational. Or to believe "if I jump off a tall building I''ll be able to fly" is irrational. To believe such things are foolishness. The belief "God exists" however is rational, and to many people, an obvious and simple deduction based upon our being and the world around us.

You might disagree, which I'd expect since you're Atheist (not in "being", but in your "beliefs"). But, should the day come that you ever come to believe in God, and even in Christ, then you'll see I was right. ;)
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Justhuman
Established Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Is being an atheist irrational?

Post by Justhuman »

Yes, you're right I still disagree y[-( .
But, maybe, after 300 replies it's time to pass on to another subject...