The exclusiveness of Christianity

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

The exclusiveness of Christianity

Post by Nessa »

How do you non Christians feel about the exclusiveness of Christianity?

Discussion open for all though.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The exclusiveness of Christianity

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:How do you non Christians feel about the exclusiveness of Christianity?

It's not exclusive. Anyone can accept God's free gift of salvation in Jesus Christ.

That whoever believes in him...
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:How do you non Christians feel about the exclusiveness of Christianity?

It's not exclusive. Anyone can accept God's free gift of salvation in Jesus Christ.

I disagree, although I do agree the offer is open to anyone. That is why I said in another thread that christianity is ultimately exclusive. Now some will look at that as unfair and in worldly terms perhaps it might be.

What makes it exclusive is that Christianity is on God's terms only. And his terms, while open to everyone, is living by his rules or at least trying to. And also be willing to change. We are not saved by works but grace also is not a licence to willfully sin either as Paul says.

Edit: When I say rules I am refering to the way he tells us to live and not in the sense that we are under the law.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:
RickD wrote:

I disagree, although I do agree the offer is open to anyone. That is why I said in another thread that christianity is ultimately exclusive. Now some will look at that as unfair and in worldly terms perhaps it might be.

What makes it exclusive is that Christianity is on God's terms only. And his terms, while open to everyone, is living by his rules or at least trying to. And also be willing to change. We are not saved by works but grace also is not a licence to willfully sin either as Paul says.

Edit: When I say rules I am refering to the way he tells us to live and not in the sense that we are under the law.
I think you disagree because we have different meanings of "Christianity" and "exclusive".
:lol:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

I think Ravi has addressed this before, that while Christianity is exclusive so are other faiths.
Last edited by Nessa on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

After watching the video, we are defining exclusiveness/exclusivity differently.

Can you see the difference?

I think we are both correct, depending on the definition.

-Edward R Murrow

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Nessa wrote:
RickD wrote:

Sin Can Be Resistable.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePN_YE7dmQs

And

Can We Drive Our Sins Too Far?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6RAoj6oM_kw
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
patrick
Established Member

Post by patrick »

Someone once told me that in order to get Christianity, you have to initially take a leap of faith. This idea of exclusivity kinda reminds me of that, because I think from a secular/"modern" perspective the idea of there being one right way, God's way, brings up all these moral and logical objections as if God's way was of questionable worth and thus not truly good.

In the earlier days of my faith, I still thought this way, and so I thought the alternative to God's way (hell) wasn't as bad as people made it out to be -- IOW that really there is just a big choice to make between doing things God's way and doing things your own way. Over time though I realized that whatever the alternative to God's way is would ultimately have to be, well, not good. Someone might still geniunely want something bad, but I think this only comes about through being attached to what is ultimately suffering. Kinda like being addicted to an emotional cigarette.

But I guess as long as it seems normal and valid to you, it feels wrong to have to give it up in favor of God's way.