Jesus, friend of sinners?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Jesus, friend of sinners?

Post by Nessa »

Was Jesus really a friend of sinners?

I use to think so until someone challenged my thinking.

In John, Jesus also said to his disciples.. I now call you friends...
Also take into account bad company corrupts which is true.

Anyway, food for thought.

I guess we also need to define friendship as well.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Jesus, friend of sinners?

Post by jenna »

i guess it depends on how you look at it. He was a true friend to them, but unless they changed their ways, they were not friends of His.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
bbyrd009
BANNED
Sex: Male

Post by bbyrd009 »

well, He didn't go to Synagogue looking for Apostles, huh--he went to the docks, and got fishermen, basically.

If He'd'a wanted friends, He'd'a prolly went to a bar, and bought the house a round, i guess...
"Creation is continuous, and never stops."
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

bbyrd009 wrote:well, He didn't go to Synagogue looking for Apostles, huh--he went to the docks, and got fishermen, basically.

If He'd'a wanted friends, He'd'a prolly went to a bar, and bought the house a round, i guess...
Now if that was true, he would have made a heck of a lot of friends turning water into wine...
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:
bbyrd009 wrote:well, He didn't go to Synagogue looking for Apostles, huh--he went to the docks, and got fishermen, basically.

Now if that was true, he would have made a heck of a lot of friends turning water into wine...
Nessa,

You're too quick witted to be a true blonde.

In fact, you're far too quick witted to be a woman! Come on, fess up! y:-?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:

Nessa,

Is that a compliment or an insult? y:-?

:P
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Nessa wrote:
RickD wrote:
Nessa wrote:

Nessa,

Is that a compliment or an insult? y:-?

:P
Yes. Yes it is.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
bbyrd009
BANNED

Post by bbyrd009 »

Nessa wrote:

snarf!

good one. of course, He would also have made many enemies, among the wine makers and sellers, yes?

and you pick at an interesting thread, poking out, that i would love to explore some, but can't right now; that being that we are called to seek Christ in the manner of Abel, by shepherding other people--which of course we have turned "shepherding" into "directing" or whatever, more in the manner of Cain, to plow our own ground, seek affirmation for our own (fleshly) ideas, not like a loving child does for their favorite little brother, but nevermind that for the moment--and "friendship" is certainly a valued thing, and community is even essential, but there is a sense in which we are all alone, too. "Seek your own salvation, iow.

Not sure what is going on there, as we pretty obviously all sow and reap as a nation, collectively, at least in a sense. hmm.
bbyrd009
BANNED

Post by bbyrd009 »

"If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there is no good evidence either way. Persecution is used in theology, not in arithmetic, because in arithmetic there is knowledge, but in theology there is only opinion. So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants."
– Bertrand Russell, An Outline of Intellectual Rubbish (1943).