Preconceived ideas about what a Christian should be

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Preconceived ideas about what a Christian should be

Post by Nessa »

I was recently talking to someone who made a passing comment that I was 'goody-two-shoes'.

Ironic really considering that couldn't be further from the truth. I don't see myself as any better than a muderer or rapist. We all have fallen short and we are all in the same sinking boat. All of us are capable of committing the most horrendous crimes.

I remember my dad once scoffed after reading about a man who comitted suicide because the man was suppose to be a 'Christian'.

The sad thing is I'm like that also. I see a Christian saying or doing something and I find judgemental thoughts running through my mind.

How can you say that, you are a Christian or how can you do that...

Interested to hear other people's thoughts.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Preconceived ideas about what a Christian should be

Post by crochet1949 »

What a Christian Should be -- preconceived ideas --
That a Christian is Perfect -- no problems.
That we don't have any fun in life because we try to follow Biblical ethics / morals.
People will watch 'our' lives and when we make a mistake they will use our mistake as an excuse to not go to church because we're being hypocrites.
We are Not to say Anything about 'social issues' because that makes us 'phobics' of one sort or another.
We are to be accepting of everyone and everything they Do because we are told to love everyone and that means to accept everything everyone does.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Hortator »

People seem to expect a lot out of Christians because they have higher standards for how a Christian should conduct their selves than they do for their self.

That's actually flattering to me, and it yields moral superiority to us.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Nessa wrote:I was recently talking to someone who made a passing comment that I was 'goody-two-shoes'...
If they need references - send her here and we can straighten her out!

:lol:

y>:D<

y@};-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

But if there's one thing we Don't deserve or need it's to be considered as morally superior to anyone. Cause we're Not. The higher the pedestal the harder the fall down.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

crochet1949 wrote:But if there's one thing we Don't deserve or need it's to be considered as morally superior to anyone. Cause we're Not. The higher the pedestal the harder the fall down.
I tried not to directly infer that. But certainly our ideology / theology is morally superior to all other world views out there. Not aggrandizing when it's true: Western civilization, whose very roots are Christ and Christianity, has brought the world unprecedented peace and break neck technological improvements improving and prolonging life on earth.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

B. W. wrote:
Nessa wrote:I was recently talking to someone who made a passing comment that I was 'goody-two-shoes'...
If they need references - send her here and we can straighten her out!

:lol:

y>:D<

y@};-
I second that! :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Hortator wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:But if there's one thing we Don't deserve or need it's to be considered as morally superior to anyone. Cause we're Not. The higher the pedestal the harder the fall down.
I tried not to directly infer that. But certainly our ideology / theology is morally superior to all other world views out there. Not aggrandizing when it's true: Western civilization, whose very roots are Christ and Christianity, has brought the world unprecedented peace and break neck technological improvements improving and prolonging life on earth.

Good point :D
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

Hortator wrote:
I tried not to directly infer that. But certainly our ideology / theology is morally superior to all other world views out there.
Who would guess Xtians would think that.

(Imply, not infer, btw)
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Hortator wrote:People seem to expect a lot out of Christians because they have higher standards for how a Christian should conduct their selves than they do for their self.

That's actually flattering to me, and it yields moral superiority to us.

A not very insightful misreading.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

You know, alot of non christians seem to think Christians see themselves as 'better than...'

And truth be told, that is often our fault because we can give that impression.

True Christians dont say 'better than..." they say "worse than"... Because a Christian should be truly humbled, in Christ, to see their true condition. And it's not pretty.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Luke 18

Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Christians / born-again believers/ are simply sinners who have been saved by grace. Be very thankful For God's grace.
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

Audie wrote:

(Imply, not infer, btw)
I believe that my world view is superior....

....just as you do. Otherwise, you would change it.

We both strive for moral excellence, in one way or another. It's just, this website brings attention to the many triumphs of Christianity, and the many downfalls of secular ideology in a critical manner that make it almost impossible to deny both facts in my mind.

That sounded a bit like rambling, I'll have more coherent thoughts tomorrow
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Hortator wrote:
Audie wrote:

(Imply, not infer, btw)
I believe that my world view is superior....

....just as you do. Otherwise, you would change it.

We both strive for moral excellence, in one way or another. It's just, this website brings attention to the many triumphs of Christianity, and the many downfalls of secular ideology in a critical manner that make it almost impossible to deny both facts in my mind.

That sounded a bit like rambling, I'll have more coherent thoughts tomorrow

I hope you will do better tomorrow, for sure, I 've come to expect far better from you.
The post I responded to was a load of manure, and putting it off onto me in this post did not help at all.

Capitalism and science, btw, has done far more for humanity than any /all religions.