Why Humans are Religious

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Reyen
Newbie Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male

Why Humans are Religious

Post by Reyen »

Why are humans the only living thing on Earth that has religion?

As I understand it, humans have religion because we are the most keenly aware of our own, inevitable death, and have immense fear of this. When I say "death" I mean true death--no afterlife--where you cease to exist in any form. Religion serves as a psychological "self-preservation": If you are not religious, you believe you will suffer a true death; if you are religious, you believe that you will persist in some form, and therefore cannot die. Also, religion provides escape from our innate fear of the dark, or that which is not known. It gives us a perception of meaning, of worth, of belonging, of order. As opposed to the alternative, rather more nihilistic (though not necessarily) view of life (I must clarify that atheists do not--or should not--believe that existence is random; this is extremely likely impossible.)

Sentiments?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Why Humans are Religious

Post by Kurieuo »

Reyen, what does it mean to "have religion"?

In any case, consider whether you think we religious folk really have a choice in the matter...
Like you, my body is a product of the physical world reducible to mere atoms arranged this way or that.
The idea that we actually have a "self" who is "aware" and makes "decisions" on religious matters is simply smoke and mirrors, a trick of the physical world.

We are not religious or irreligious. In fact, "we" don't really exist.
So it's kind of pointless anyway isn't it? Like an atom randomly bouncing into another.
If this picture is accurate then humans are religious because an atom bounced this way rather than that.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Vergil
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Vergil »

Well I personally believe that man is a 'Religious Animal' like with Aristotle said that a 'is a Political Animal'.
Which to say is kinda true.

Mankind tends to believe in something greater than itself, name it a deity, deities, or itself.
Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.
- Jesus Christ

Disappointment is inevitable. But to become discouraged, there's a choice I make. God would never discourage me. He would always point me to himself to trust him. Therefore, my discouragement is from Satan. As you go through the emotions that we have, hostility is not from God, bitterness, unforgiveness, all of these are attacks from Satan.
- Charles Stanley
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Reyen wrote:Why are humans the only living thing on Earth that has religion?

As I understand it, humans have religion because we are the most keenly aware of our own, inevitable death, and have immense fear of this. When I say "death" I mean true death--no afterlife--where you cease to exist in any form. Religion serves as a psychological "self-preservation": If you are not religious, you believe you will suffer a true death; if you are religious, you believe that you will persist in some form, and therefore cannot die. Also, religion provides escape from our innate fear of the dark, or that which is not known. It gives us a perception of meaning, of worth, of belonging, of order. As opposed to the alternative, rather more nihilistic (though not necessarily) view of life (I must clarify that atheists do not--or should not--believe that existence is random; this is extremely likely impossible.)

Sentiments?

Why would anyone be afraid of their death BEFORE they have a notion of possible consequences of dying?
In short, how can religion PRECEDE the very thing it addresses IF it was created because of the thing it, supposedly, created?

What I mean is that, some have the view that Man created religion because of his fear of death, of the unknown BUT where did that fear come from?
There was no reason to fear the very thing that religion says will/may happen BEFORE religion was created to tell us it happens and IF religion was created because of that fear, well, you see the problem with this view of course.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Reyen wrote:Why are humans the only living thing on Earth that has religion?

Sentiments?

Why would anyone be afraid of their death BEFORE they have a notion of possible consequences of dying?
In short, how can religion PRECEDE the very thing it addresses IF it was created because of the thing it, supposedly, created?

What I mean is that, some have the view that Man created religion because of his fear of death, of the unknown BUT where did that fear come from?
There was no reason to fear the very thing that religion says will/may happen BEFORE religion was created to tell us it happens and IF religion was created because of that fear, well, you see the problem with this view of course.
Name an animal above the level of an amoeba that does not try to avoid death.

(oh yeah, they do too)

Here is where the dreaded E word comes in. Critters with no avoidance reaction
all got ate.

Higher animals get obviously emotional about the prospect of death.

Humans are plenty remarkable enough that it really isnt necessary to deny all semblance to our fellow beings.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie,

Can you prove your assertion that all animals try to avoid death? I bet you can't. Don't confuse an animal's instinct to protect itself from harm, with in any way knowing what death is.

What evidence do you have that animals have any concept of death?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:Audie,

Can you prove your assertion that all animals try to avoid death? I bet you can't. Don't confuse an animal's instinct to protect itself from harm, with in any way knowing what death is.

Harm and death have a way of blending one into the other. De we need to define a bright line distinction for our fleeing planaria?

Is it somehow the central issue whether or not they have an abstract concept of death?

Are you going out of your way to avoid acknowledging the point I am making?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:

Harm and death have a way of blending one into the other. De we need to define a bright line distinction for our fleeing planaria?

Is it somehow the central issue whether or not they have an abstract concept of death?

Audie,

This gets to the question posed in the thread. Why are humans the only living thing on earth that has religion?

Humans, apart from all other creatures, are spiritual creatures. We have a longing for God, because God gave us that longing.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Have animals "invented" religion?
Nope.
No primal instinct of any species leads that species to formulate a belief that there may be more than this simple existence OR to ponder HOW we got here.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:

Audie,

This gets to the question posed in the thread. Why are humans the only living thing on earth that has religion?

Humans, apart from all other creatures, are spiritual creatures. We have a longing for God, because God gave us that longing.
So you say, asking then answering your own question with not a datum point to your name.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

PaulSacramento wrote:Have animals "invented" religion?
Nope.
No primal instinct of any species leads that species to formulate a belief that there may be more than this simple existence OR to ponder HOW we got here.
Are you also deliberately trying to avoid understanding or acknowledging what I meant ?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:

Audie,

So you say, asking then answering your own question with not a datum point to your name.
Datum point? What are you talking about? You're asking for scientific evidence for what I wrote?

Come on Audie. THINK. Use your brain. Stop trying to hammer a nail with a screwdriver. Step outside your little box.

-Edward R Murrow

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Audie wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Have animals "invented" religion?
Nope.
Are you also deliberately trying to avoid understanding or acknowledging what I meant ?
I am pointing out that bring other animals into this is pointless and irrelevant.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:

Audie,

Datum point? What are you talking about? You're asking for scientific evidence for what I wrote?

Come on Audie. THINK. Use your brain. Stop trying to hammer a nail with a screwdriver. Step outside your little box.
You asked me for evidence, but no fair, no fair now.

Think? Little box?
We have a longing for God, because God gave us that longing
How droll.
Last edited by Audie on Fri May 06, 2016 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Romans 2:14-16
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.