Are babies born atheists?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Are babies born atheists?

Post by Audie »

crochet1949 wrote:Babies are born with a 'clean slate' - -- total innocence -- they learn what they are taught. Usually the parents are their first teachers. So -- parents have a tremendous responsibilities. Raising their children.
Ah, nature vs nurture.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Innocent in regards to not knowing any better? Yes.
Innocent in regards to not doing anything wrong?
Do you guys have kids? LOL !
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

audie
Nature vs nurture -- not sure how that applies to babies and their belief or lack thereof in God / in Anything for that matter. So - what a baby does? Crying is their 1st method of communication. Language being learned from those around them at a gradual pace. The first sound they master is crying. In the womb their needs are met automatically through umbilical cord. Outside the need nourishment so they let 'us' know - and when they dirty their diaper. Their needs to be held, cuddled. So - their Nature is letting their needs known - survival.

PS -- I've raised 4 children, two of whom have children of their own, now. Kids Learn right from wrong through the people who teach them. Many years ago we were around a group of parents who actually punished their 6 month old when he cried because he was mad. We questioned that one day -- they showed us when he was crying once, it wasn't an I'm hungry cry it was an I'm Mad cry. And we learned from Our 1st and being around other new mom's -- a mother recognizes their own baby's cry and what it means very quickly.

So -- I will say that babies are born 'neutral'. They know Only what they are taught at the very beginning and gradually their own unique personality can be observed. And that is when parents both observe what they do naturally and guide the development of their moral, ethical part of them. Their spiritual direction which some kids follow and some don't. Depending on who they run around with. And each child Is different.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Crochet,

You have kids with kids of their own?

Your posts don't make you look a day over 39! :fryingpan:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

RickD wrote:Crochet,

You have kids with kids of their own?

Your posts don't make you look a day over 39! :fryingpan:
Well, your posts make you look over 65 but nobody complains. ... Right?? y:-?
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Science largely supports we're wired as soon as the wires are in place towards belief in God.
An evolutionary trait if you will, to be shook off, kind of like morality eh you amoral atheist bastards! :P
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Oh, here's an article you might like written by a kiwi, it was shared on the board by DRDS a year or so ago:
Speaking of kiwis, I think they're all born strange, quite weird birds they are!
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
thatkidakayoungguy
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by thatkidakayoungguy »

Idk about babies but toddlers naturally accept the idea of a god. Check out this- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religio ... laims.html
I remember, and others do too, of naturally sensing that there was something bigger than us, even one that was a non religious home said that. Romans 1 says all know the attributes of the godhead through the creation, so none are with excuse, well at least above the age of accountability.