Spaying cats/kittens

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Spaying cats/kittens

Post by Storyteller »

We have a 6 month old female kitten.
Our first cat and she is ridiculously cute!
We have her booked in for being spayed on Tuesday. I have looked into the pros and cons of it and I think spaying her is the best thing to do but I wondered what people thought.

There is a very small (but real) risk involved, as with any surgery, of complications and/or her dying. There is a small risk that she will have problems with the scar, we will have to keep her in and as quiet as possible for up to two weeks (that`ll be fun!)
She will stop maturing and retain some of her kitten-ness.

But.... she won`t come into season, reducing her desire to roam, stop her displaying the behaviours like calling. She won`t get hassled by all the local toms and there won`t be the pressure of looking after kittens.
There are so many strays/unwanted cats and kittens so to deliberately bring more into the world seems a bit irresponsible.

If, and it`s a pretty big if, she is already pregnant (which is possible, though unlikely) we will have the choice to go ahead or not (some vets won`t for ethical reasons) My feelings on this is mixed. Bring more (unplanned) kittens into the world or kill them, knowing the cat has no say in it. My heart says if she were to be pregnant, we would have a family of kittens but never having had kittens I would be clueless as to how to look after them, and then there is the risk and cost involved in pregnancy and birth.

So anyway, Cosmo is off to be done on Tuesday, what are people`s thoughts?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Spaying cats/kittens

Post by RickD »

Storyteller wrote:
what are people`s thoughts?
Ditch the cat. Get another dog. :mrgreen:

Jk. Yes, spaying and neutering is the way to go. Be the responsible pet owner, please.

Btw, my sister's cat is named Cosmo too. I think she got the name from The Fairly Oddparents.

Post pics of said kitty, plz.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Storyteller wrote:We have a 6 month old female kitten.
We have her booked in for being spayed on Tuesday. I have looked into the pros and cons of it and I think spaying her is the best thing to do but I wondered what people thought.

There is a very small (but real) risk involved, as with any surgery, of complications and/or her dying. There is a small risk that she will have problems with the scar, we will have to keep her in and as quiet as possible for up to two weeks (that`ll be fun!)

But.... she won`t come into season, reducing her desire to roam, stop her displaying the behaviours like calling. She won`t get hassled by all the local toms and there won`t be the pressure of looking after kittens.
There are so many strays/unwanted cats and kittens so to deliberately bring more into the world seems a bit irresponsible.

If, and it`s a pretty big if, she is already pregnant (which is possible, though unlikely) we will have the choice to go ahead or not (some vets won`t for ethical reasons) My feelings on this is mixed. Bring more (unplanned) kittens into the world or kill them, knowing the cat has no say in it. My heart says if she were to be pregnant, we would have a family of kittens but never having had kittens I would be clueless as to how to look after them, and then there is the risk and cost involved in pregnancy and birth.

I think you are doing the right thing. Cosmo will be fine and you won't have to worry about her having kittens you don't want,that'll be from stray cats that have not been fixed.Just don't get her de-clawed.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Storyteller wrote:We have a 6 month old female kitten.

I think you are doing the right thing. Cosmo will be fine and you won't have to worry about her having kittens you don't want,that'll be from stray cats that have not been fixed.Just don't get her de-clawed.
As if.

At one point, we considered rehoming her. (so glad we didnt)
If anyone had entertained the idea then we would "get back to them"
De-clawing is barbaric.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

In our area in a small town, there are feral cats. They tend to 'adopt' yards of people -- they get pregnant , have their kittens and Mostly separate / obsorb into the community. But once in a while we've had a mother cat who has batch after batch of kittens -- it would be Nice to be able to capture that cat and have her 'fixed' but --in this case -- she's learned how to get out of the cage in a split second and OFF she goes Very quickly. Over time, she's had 4 litters and brings some of them back to our front porch. We Do enjoy watching the kittens play and grow and observing them interact with their mother. Cat language is fascinating. Over time, we Have managed to capture 5 cats / kittens and re-locate them by water. Those cats/ kittens won't tolerate much beyond petting -- they Don't like being picked up. So --
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

My daughter and I are reading a series of books, Warrior Cats, about four clans of wild cats who are guided by a star clan. It details how they live, how they think, and is wonderfully understanding of cat behaviour.

Cosmo is doing great, try telling her shes had a major op!
Would love to have the knowledge, experience and time to have seen her bring up kittens, doing what nature intended but practically I know I did the right thing.

Loved your post crochet, I was never a cat person til Cosmo, til she really did start talking to me, now im smitten.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Actually, I started out being a Dog person. Then a few years ago , a friend of my husband gave us a black kitten -- just in time for Halloween. Turned out to be a great house/ out door kitten, cat. But she got Really jealous of a neighbor hood kitten that adopted a spot near our front porch. We balled her out and she took off in the middle of a Cold winter. Felt bad for her -- but she never came back. Since then we've been adopted by various neighborhood cats who end up having kittens and, of Course, we feed them. :)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

crochet1949 wrote:Actually, I started out being a Dog person. Then a few years ago , a friend of my husband gave us a black kitten -- just in time for Halloween. Turned out to be a great house/ out door kitten, cat. But she got Really jealous of a neighbor hood kitten that adopted a spot near our front porch. We balled her out and she took off in the middle of a Cold winter. Felt bad for her -- but she never came back. Since then we've been adopted by various neighborhood cats who end up having kittens and, of Course, we feed them. :)
All I've got to say is, "Black cats lives matter".

:mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Rick: All I've got to say is, "Black cats lives matter".
HEY! What about WHITE cats' and dogs' lives???!!! They're people, TOO! (Least they think they are :roll: )

Image[/url][/img]
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Yes, that's what's so precious about cats and dogs -- sometimes they think they're human -- they Act human -- they Act better than some People. :)