Article: Are Internet debates worth it?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Article: Are Internet debates worth it?

Post by Nessa »

btw, Im not saying craig or any other apologist doesnt deserve appreciation for their part to play but ultimately if they dont point you past themselves to the one who really deserves the credit then its just glorifying man. Appreciate the painting but give the credit to the painter.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Also, God may send us people thank to whom we can understand things better.
We can be at the edge of going to be Christians but some unanswered questions may stop us.
Yet someone comes and make us understand and ... :)
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:If you think public debate is about changing the opinion of the person you're debating, then I feel you're kind of missing the true benefit.
The majority of people reading is more than any one person being debated.

By and large debates are about the audience. Second to that, you do get pushed with your position and beliefs against tougher, more reasonable opponents (as should they). You may not change your main position, but certainly if you're honest with yourself and see a fair point, you'll try to make your beliefs more logically coherent. And lastly, at least for me, they're not about changing the position of the other person but perhaps moving them closer to you in their beliefs.

Also, I have seen people change their positions due to public debate and but online discussions.
So it seems those who say "debates are pointless" or some such is just taking up more of a popularist statement.
Perhaps such just prefer hearing their opinion without having to justify their position?

Because many people do change their beliefs and benefit from online debate and rational discussions.
So that needs squaring with anyone who believes there is no benefit.

Take several people on this board who have changed their position from YEC to Day-Age for example. One oddly went the other way.
If it wasn't for a place like this, then I certainly wouldn't be as equipped and learned as I am with Christianity or as a Christian.
I know others here who have been re-secured in their Christian beliefs. One privately I know who was pretty much out the door.
HappyFlappy had a change of mind, especially in dialogue with Jac.

Flew changed his position away from Atheism in large thanks to Intelligent Design arguments and Habermaus.
And if we take the master debater, William Lane Craig. I'd like anyone to say that he hasn't changed minds.
Many credit him with strengthening their Christian faith and or helping them see the light.
Love him or hate him, Craig has had a major lasting impact upon Evangelicial rationalism.

Any change isn't seen in the heat of a debate in an instant.
But, under closer investigation, and it's been my experience, over time people do change their beliefs.
And quite drastically so. While having debates and dialogue with people is an important area of focus, it evidently isn't the only area.
Especially if you're female. It is obvious to me that many more men need the rational dialogue, women more gush over nice sounding things.
So many more men need their minds fulfilled, whereas many more women will likely need their hearts filled.

Finally, it's not about vanity, but often I dare say more about hobby.
Some people like collecting stamps, others like putting their mind to the grind. Yet, the latter get insulted?
Look at Facebook people, and you'll see a big difference between vanity comments and intellectual debates about this or that issue.
Who is saying debates are pointless?

And who is insulting them?

Arguments do not win people to Christ. Christ does. Though God can and does use arguments as a powerful tool to serve his purposes.

If someone can argue you into something then it logically follows that someone else can argue you out.

Craig - apart from Christ - can accomplish nothing..zero..zip...nil

And flew changed his mind thanks to God ...lets get that straight.

Man gives man way too much credit
Nessa, welcome back. ;)

While I may not agree with all you've said, you make some fair points.
Good to see you biting down and giving me a piece of your mind.
Don't be scared to debate more often :)
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:If you think public debate is about changing the opinion of the person you're debating, then I feel you're kind of missing the true benefit.
The majority of people reading is more than any one person being debated.

By and large debates are about the audience. Second to that, you do get pushed with your position and beliefs against tougher, more reasonable opponents (as should they). You may not change your main position, but certainly if you're honest with yourself and see a fair point, you'll try to make your beliefs more logically coherent. And lastly, at least for me, they're not about changing the position of the other person but perhaps moving them closer to you in their beliefs.

Also, I have seen people change their positions due to public debate and but online discussions.
So it seems those who say "debates are pointless" or some such is just taking up more of a popularist statement.
Perhaps such just prefer hearing their opinion without having to justify their position?

Because many people do change their beliefs and benefit from online debate and rational discussions.
So that needs squaring with anyone who believes there is no benefit.

Take several people on this board who have changed their position from YEC to Day-Age for example. One oddly went the other way.
If it wasn't for a place like this, then I certainly wouldn't be as equipped and learned as I am with Christianity or as a Christian.
I know others here who have been re-secured in their Christian beliefs. One privately I know who was pretty much out the door.
HappyFlappy had a change of mind, especially in dialogue with Jac.

Flew changed his position away from Atheism in large thanks to Intelligent Design arguments and Habermaus.
And if we take the master debater, William Lane Craig. I'd like anyone to say that he hasn't changed minds.
Many credit him with strengthening their Christian faith and or helping them see the light.
Love him or hate him, Craig has had a major lasting impact upon Evangelicial rationalism.

Any change isn't seen in the heat of a debate in an instant.
But, under closer investigation, and it's been my experience, over time people do change their beliefs.
And quite drastically so. While having debates and dialogue with people is an important area of focus, it evidently isn't the only area.
Especially if you're female. It is obvious to me that many more men need the rational dialogue, women more gush over nice sounding things.
So many more men need their minds fulfilled, whereas many more women will likely need their hearts filled.

Finally, it's not about vanity, but often I dare say more about hobby.
Some people like collecting stamps, others like putting their mind to the grind. Yet, the latter get insulted?
Look at Facebook people, and you'll see a big difference between vanity comments and intellectual debates about this or that issue.
Who is saying debates are pointless?

And who is insulting them?

Arguments do not win people to Christ. Christ does. Though God can and does use arguments as a powerful tool to serve his purposes.

If someone can argue you into something then it logically follows that someone else can argue you out.

Craig - apart from Christ - can accomplish nothing..zero..zip...nil

And flew changed his mind thanks to God ...lets get that straight.

Man gives man way too much credit
Nessa, welcome back. ;)

While I may not agree with all you've said, you make some fair points.
Good to see you biting down and giving me a piece of your mind.
Don't be scared to debate more often :)
Im not sure if agreeing with what you said in my quotes actually count :ewink:

:P
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

(moved to another thread)