What can I expect as a job if I got a Theology Degree?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
1stjohn0666
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: What can I expect as a job if I got a Theology Degree?

Post by 1stjohn0666 »

Depends on how far you went with it. Other classes are taken along the ride. I have a bachelors in religion (kind of the history stuff) I will some day have a Ph.D in theology and may teach at a university, Pastor, debate, author books, ministries of so many kinds. I am the worship coordinator at my church. Outreach programs, drug and alcohol counselor on the christian end. I will tell you this, a person with a lot of schooling has a much better chance at employment regardless of the degree required. A theological background really sets a moral perspective. I have a few other degrees all of which I do not utilize anymore.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

1stjohn0666 wrote:Depends on how far you went with it. Other classes are taken along the ride. I have a bachelors in religion (kind of the history stuff) I will some day have a Ph.D in theology and may teach at a university, Pastor, debate, author books, ministries of so many kinds. I am the worship coordinator at my church. Outreach programs, drug and alcohol counselor on the christian end. I will tell you this, a person with a lot of schooling has a much better chance at employment regardless of the degree required. A theological background really sets a moral perspective. I have a few other degrees all of which I do not utilize anymore.
John, does your church teach/believe that Jesus is not God? I know you've mentioned that you're wife is trinitarian. If your church is trinitarian, they believe Jesus is God. Do they know their worship coordinator believes in a different jesus?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
1stjohn0666
Valued Member

Post by 1stjohn0666 »

My church is unitarian, my wife's is trinitarian. Yes the trinitarian church is fully aware that I am a Christian monotheist. And yes my church knows I attend from time to time at my wife's church. No problems of any kind exist. Having differing beliefs is not the issue. If a Muslim was to attend a trinitarian church, I am sure that there would be a little stir up. (Maybe not in the clergy) but in of the members. I know, I have seen it with my own eyes, heard with my own ears. pretty shameful IMO.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

1stjohn0666 wrote:My church is Unitarian, my wife's is trinitarian. Yes the trinitarian church is fully aware that I am a Christian monotheist. And yes my church knows I attend from time to time at my wife's church. No problems of any kind exist. Having differing beliefs is not the issue. If a Muslim was to attend a trinitarian church, I am sure that there would be a little stir up. (Maybe not in the clergy) but in of the members. I know, I have seen it with my own eyes, heard with my own ears. pretty shameful IMO.
Unitarian - so are the splinter groups from the WAY International and that group itself...
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
1stjohn0666
Valued Member

Post by 1stjohn0666 »

No B.W. I do not attend "The Way Int." or the "splinter groups"
cheezerrox
Established Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by cheezerrox »

1stJohn, just pointing out, "Christian monotheist" is a bit repetitive, and doesn't actually give any indication of your personal position (that the Trinity is false). Orthodox Christian doctrine is monotheistic, and the Trinity is a monotheistic doctrine. A better way to refer to your belief is "Christian unitarian."
"The prophet is a man who feels fiercely. G-d has thrust a burden upon his soul, and he is bowed and stunned at man's fierce greed. Frightful is the agony of man; no human voice can convey its full terror. Prophecy is the voice that G-d has lent to the silent agony, a voice to the plundered poor, to the profaned riches of the world. It is a form of living, a crossing point of G-d and man."
- Abraham Joshua Heschel