What's your occupation?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
spartanII
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

What's your occupation?

Post by spartanII »

I've already done 2 years of college, basic classes, i'm still unsure of what i want to do, praying helps me think of what i'm good at and what i'm interested in but i'm unsure of what i should do in the long run, video games are really cool, and video game design seems cool but a childish thing to persue. What is your occupation, what are some jobs you could recommend to me? I'm kind of interested in the medical field.
Atheist: "Science says it, I believe it, That settles it."
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Re: What's your occupation?

Post by StMonicaGuideMe »

Praying is a great start, Spartan! :D

I agree; video games are cool and fun, but definitely a time consumer and with all the garbage out there now-a-days, is a potential path to some horrific stuff. I used to play a lot during college but oy, what a waste of time.

What about the medical field interests you? The ability to help others?

I went to university for a BA and now I work in public relations :)
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".
spartanII
Established Member

Post by spartanII »

StMonicaGuideMe wrote:Praying is a great start, Spartan! :D

I agree; video games are cool and fun, but definitely a time consumer and with all the garbage out there now-a-days, is a potential path to some horrific stuff. I used to play a lot during college but oy, what a waste of time.

What about the medical field interests you? The ability to help others?

I went to university for a BA and now I work in public relations :)
what's public relations mean and what do you do day to day? And I'm not sure, anything not blood related
Atheist: "Science says it, I believe it, That settles it."
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Post by StMonicaGuideMe »

LOL! I would be like you if I chose the medical field. Couldn't handle blood, either, though I'm sure many doctors and nurses generally cant at first. My cousin, who's now a doctor, lost 25lbs when they started working on cadavers! :P

If you're not into blood or the potential for it on a regular basis, perhaps being a chiropractor or something along those lines?

There are a few definitions for public relations. It can be the practice of managing communication between an organization/company and the public or it can be a combination of that and promoting a "healthy" image of an organization/company to the public.
Remember that huge Exxon Mobile oil spill? (was it Exxon? lol!) The people who came forward and issued all the press releases on behalf of the company, who spoke to the media and the public, those are "public relations consultants". The tricky part with this type of job is being able to discern how MORAL your job will be. I would not work for a company that promotes abortion through its donation channels, for example.
But, if you work for a non-government organization or a registered charity, you can do a lot of good.

Does that make sense?

edit: Sorry, forgot to answer what I do day to day. So for example, I work for an environmental group. They're small so there's a lot of autonomy which I like. Their mandate is simple and moral and I consider myself one of the stewards of God's creation :mrgreen: and not just "another tree hugger hippy". I write press releases, organize media events, make statements on behalf of the group on all our social media and websites, answer questions, respond to public inquiry, handle cable interviews, etc. It's fun and very fulfilling when it's a cause you believe in.
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Murray »

Enlisting as a cav scout in the army for 3 years, then I Plan to attend the citadel military college earn a degree in history and Theology, and become a commissioned officer as a chaplain

:)
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

And the best way to get a free education in the medical field, along with numerous benefits, and an extremely good looking resume is to pursue a medical education through the military. Air force probably has the best medical core, and many of it's medics leave to become doctors in the civilian field.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
Rob
Valued Member

Post by Rob »

I am a lead technician in the technical support department of Midwestern telecommunications company.
I'm also a musician.
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

St.Monica said,
Couldn't handle blood
Yep, that's me as well. If it's dead, I can handle it, live bleeding people, not so much (ironic my Avatar is known for cutting heads off, eh?). Also, I'm a communications and marketing guy. Tried to avoid all mathematics in college, but STILL had to take college algebra and lots of logic to get a journalism degree (logic, yeah, that makes sense. But algebra? Still don't understand that one).
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

Right now I'm a Software Engineer/Technologist for GE Aviation. I work on model-based software that has been a lot of fun to work on over the past year or so. I graduated with a Computer Science degree this past summer, so I'm just starting off in my career.

The odd part is that I feel like my calling is somewhere else - though I'm not sure where. I feel like working for a smaller company - or being self-employed - is where I'm headed. I'm also trying to figure out exactly where I can use my massive interests in music composition, piano and guitar playing, Christian history, and apologetics.

Overall... I spend more time trying to figure out what I should be doing than focusing on what I am doing at the moment. Not sure if this is my fault or God's :(
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

I have a Master degree in physics (theoretical physics). Now I am finishing my PhD. Thesis is written. Currently waiting for the referees reports. I decided to change the field and now I am looking for a job as a programmer. Self-educating myself at home, doing some small projects till I get a job.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

1over137 wrote:I have a Master degree in physics (theoretical physics). Now I am finishing my PhD. Thesis is written. Currently waiting for the referees reports. I decided to change the field and now I am looking for a job as a programmer. Self-educating myself at home, doing some small projects till I get a job.
What is your thesis on, if I may ask.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Byblos wrote:
1over137 wrote:I have a Master degree in physics (theoretical physics). Now I am finishing my PhD. Thesis is written. Currently waiting for the referees reports. I decided to change the field and now I am looking for a job as a programmer. Self-educating myself at home, doing some small projects till I get a job.
Supersymmetry, sfermion decays.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

1over137 wrote:
Byblos wrote:
Supersymmetry, sfermion decays.
Thanks (I can pretend to understand what that means but I'm afraid you'll call me on it 8) ). All I know about supersymmetry is that it has something to do with quantum mechanics and gravity, that's about it.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I work as a storeman/sales/service for a company that supplies chemical transfer systems for the petro industrial, agricultural and defence.
I spend a lot of time building and repairing pumps, Aviation nozzles etc....
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

I love to design and I am a graphics designer, doing print work, but I have done web and 3d as well. I actually look forward to work in 3d animation, probably in animated and cgi based movies (not sure about the movies part though :D ). Though I don't have a degree for that and I am self learned all the way, which kind of makes it hard for me at times, as people prefer people with a degree. But for my current job I am all good, I work for a chain of hotels and do all their design work. If not this, I would have been a lawyer y*-:) (I almost landed in law school BUT pulled out at the last moment)
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com