Debating?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Jorge
Acquainted Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:26 pm
Christian: No

Debating?

Postby Jorge » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:56 pm

Well the rules say I can't debate, does that mean I can't provide evidence for anything I say? Can I state my opinion if it differs from a Christian's?

debate: a discussion, as of a public question in an assembly, involving opposing viewpoints

discuss: to consider or examine by argument, comment, etc.; talk over or write about, esp. to explore solutions; debate

dictionary.com says that debate is pretty much the same thing as a discussion

User avatar
Himantolophus
Established Member
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:25 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Debating?

Postby Himantolophus » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:57 pm

yes, you can add stuff to the discussion without actually debating but if someone challenges you to back up your ideas or counters them with something else, then you should be prepared to back up your argument. If you check the "oldest fossil" post you will see what happens when rules are not followed.

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 9052
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: Debating?

Postby Kurieuo » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:29 am

This board is for a specific audience. If you wish to debate against Christians, you are likely not a part of the targeted audience. There are many, many, many other boards on the Internet suited to such a purpose. We desire this board to remain friendly and open to those who want the company of Christians, or those who seek a Christian understanding on an issue.

This message board is publicly open to anyone who wishes to register, and participate in discussions, however it is only intended for a specific audience. It is intended to serve as a place for:

1. Sincere seekers to inquire and ask questions;
2. Christians to give and receive encouragement and instruction; and
3. Non-Christians who are willing to "walk a thin line" and dialogue sensitively and respectfully.

This board is not for those who have strongly made up their mind that Christ is "not" for them; who merely wish to put down, debate, and argue against essential Christian beliefs. As such, those who are Christian, have not made up their minds, or desire civil discussions about Christianity are encouraged to join, while others who merely wish to attack and try to discredit Christianity are discouraged and will be heavily moderated.

http://discussions.godandscience.org/viewtopic.php?t=2517

Jorge
Acquainted Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:26 pm
Christian: No

Re: Debating?

Postby Jorge » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:04 am

Himantolophus wrote:yes, you can add stuff to the discussion without actually debating but if someone challenges you to back up your ideas or counters them with something else, then you should be prepared to back up your argument. If you check the "oldest fossil" post you will see what happens when rules are not followed.


So I can add stuff to the discussion, as long as it agrees with with what the website says? So for example I cannot post anything that challenges information on the website correct?

Kurieuo wrote:This board is for a specific audience. If you wish to debate against Christians, you are likely not a part of the targeted audience. There are many, many, many other boards on the Internet suited to such a purpose. We desire this board to remain friendly and open to those who want the company of Christians, or those who seek a Christian understanding on an issue.

This message board is publicly open to anyone who wishes to register, and participate in discussions, however it is only intended for a specific audience. It is intended to serve as a place for:

1. Sincere seekers to inquire and ask questions;
2. Christians to give and receive encouragement and instruction; and
3. Non-Christians who are willing to "walk a thin line" and dialogue sensitively and respectfully.

This board is not for those who have strongly made up their mind that Christ is "not" for them; who merely wish to put down, debate, and argue agahttp://discussions.godandscience.org ... t=2517inst essential Christian beliefs. As such, those who are Christian, have not made up their minds, or desire civil discussions about Christianity are encouraged to join, while others who merely wish to attack and try to discredit Christianity are discouraged and will be heavily moderated.

http://discussions.godandscience.org/viewtopic.php?t=2517


"This board is a part of Evidence for God from Science (G&S), a Christian website, which serves to provide a defense and persuasive case for Christianity as well as encouragement and instruction for Christian people and seekers."

So you the point of this website is to argue a case for Christianity, while allowing not allowing the other side to defend itself?

User avatar
Canuckster1127
Old School
Posts: 5308
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:31 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: Debating?

Postby Canuckster1127 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:41 am

Read the Board purpose and Discussion Guidlelines. These issues are all addressed there.

We're not a debate board. There are plenty of those if that is your wish. We exist for a narrower purpose and this board is not for everyone.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender

http://bartsbarometer.com/

Jorge
Acquainted Member
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:26 pm
Christian: No

Re: Debating?

Postby Jorge » Thu May 01, 2008 7:33 pm

Canuckster1127 wrote:Read the Board purpose and Discussion Guidlelines. These issues are all addressed there.

We're not a debate board. There are plenty of those if that is your wish. We exist for a narrower purpose and this board is not for everyone.


Well okay, but I don't really see how you can establish a defense of Christianity if you won't even allow the other side to tell their story.

But what if somebody said, "Brain waves start in fetuses at 40 days." Am I allowed to disagree?

User avatar
Canuckster1127
Old School
Posts: 5308
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:31 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: Debating?

Postby Canuckster1127 » Fri May 02, 2008 7:19 am

Jorge wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:Read the Board purpose and Discussion Guidlelines. These issues are all addressed there.

We're not a debate board. There are plenty of those if that is your wish. We exist for a narrower purpose and this board is not for everyone.


Well okay, but I don't really see how you can establish a defense of Christianity if you won't even allow the other side to tell their story.

But what if somebody said, "Brain waves start in fetuses at 40 days." Am I allowed to disagree?


Sure. Disagreement on facts and discussion is fine. If you've read the discussion guidelines and board purpose and observe many discussions present here you'll see that there are several non-christians who post here regularly and maintain the balance that we seek in the regard just fine.

If you're here to discourse reasonably and seek to understand better why Christians believe what they do and can do so respectfully then you're welcome.

If you're here to attack Christianity, and debate to establish your own belief system without that element of respect then there are plenty of other sites that offer you the opportunity to do so. That's not why we exist and we're fully within our rights to state and practise that and we're upfront about it.

PM me if you have any more questions and again, read the purpose and the guidelines and observe other threads if you need clarification.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender

http://bartsbarometer.com/


Return to “General Discussion & Introductions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest