Ignorance of the Bible

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
imoneru?
Familiar Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Ignorance of the Bible

Post by imoneru? »

cslewislover wrote:1 Timothy 6:17-19: "Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life."

Paul doesn't say here that the rich or anyone else has to give everything they have away, but to be generous and willing to share. But I'm more concerned with your belief that you believe in the Lord mentally, but not spiritually, basically. I find this hard to fathom as biblical. I don't mean you are bad, LOL, I just believe what the bible says: that for anyone who believes in Christ and that he died for them, that they will be saved. How can you say you believe, yet are not be saved (I mean, I get what you're saying . . . )? Jesus said you'd be saved, "Whoever believes in him is not condemned . . . " (John 4:18a). It seems like something Satan would do to keep you from your joy in the Lord, and any encouragement you would get from Him.
To me it dosn't seem that hard to understand as I said I believe as a logical thinker believes, With His Head or Brain, and not with my Heart as Jesus said we must do to be "Born Again". Paul more or less quotes Jesus in Romans 10 :9,10 when he [inspired by God] states "If you confess with your mouth and believe in your heart you will be saved, Using human reasoning I can concieve of an all powerful God or spiritual being that is able to create a universe and based on that assumption be able to do all the other things an all powerful God could and has done, but in thinking this way I am using my brain not my heart, to me logically thinking my heart is only an organ for pumping blood and has no ability to believe or disbelieve anything I have to depend on my brain for that and as Jesus stated "The people do honor me with their mouth but their Heart is far from me"(Talk is cheep) I guess what I am saying is that I am able to except the bible from a logical point of view but not a spiritual one, When Jesus told Nicodemus "You Must Be Born Again" Nick couldn't understand it and Jesus told him in so many words that that kind of birth only comes from God. And thats the part I don't have, The bible says "ask and you will recieve, seek and you will find"Etc. well I have done that under my own power but with no results, I'm not about to say God is a lier, as the bible also states He cannot lie, but what ever it is I lack I have come to the conclusion that only God will be able to provide if He chooses to do so....God Bless...Ray
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Post by cslewislover »

I understand. I just don't believe God is going to play mind games (or spiritual games, lol) with individuals or with the concept of salvation. I think if you believe it with your mind, your heart will follow. There are so many that post here, at this board, that want to talk only of the mind. They say if they believe with their mind, they will believe all the way. But you are saying you believe with our mind, yet you aren't saved because of God's work. Yes, the Holy Spirit needs to come to you. Since I trust God to do the right thing, then I almost think there's something holding you back from receiving the Holy Spirit, or maybe even keeping you from knowing you have it already. I don't know - I haven't received any special knowledge or anything like that. I just know that God is faithful and is not sadistic. "Heart" of course is a feeling; we feel so much in our chest with different emotions, so it's just a word to use, for feeling. Different ways of knowing.

These may not help at all--sorry if they don't. I feel like telling you to be like Dorothy, who closed her eyes, clicked her shoes, and believed; or like Peter Pan and the others, who knew they believed in fairies, they just needed to remind themselves. Lol. Maybe it's this concept - you believe with your head, you just need to apply it.

April 29, 2001
To Be Sure
READ: 1 John 5:1-13
These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life. --1 John 5:13

Evangelist Dwight L. Moody (1837-1899) said, "I believe hundreds of Christians are being deceived by Satan now on this point: They don't have the assurance of salvation just because they are not willing to take God at His Word!"

John 5:24 says the person who believes on the Son "has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment." Our assurance, then, is not based primarily on how we feel but on what God says. And when we take God at His Word, the feeling often follows.

This is illustrated in the story of a man who was carrying a sack of potatoes on his back. A skeptic asked him, "How do you know you are saved?" The man let the potatoes fall and replied, "How do I know I have dropped the bag? I didn't see it fall." "No," replied the skeptic, "but you can tell, I suppose, by the lessening of the weight." "Exactly," said the Christian. "That's how I know I'm saved too. I have lost my load of sin, and have found peace in my Lord and Savior."

If you will first trust in Christ and believe His Word, your burden of guilt and doubt will fall. Then and only then will you feel the difference. Don't make the mistake of trying to get the feeling before you do the believing. — Henry G. Bosch

April 24, 1999
Feeling Or Faith?
READ: Acts 16:25-34
He who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed the testimony that God has given of His Son. —1 John 5:10

Many people seem to think that it's wrong to say we know we are bound for heaven. But the Bible tells us we can be sure.

Jesus said, "He who believes in Me has everlasting life" (Jn. 6:47). To question, therefore, whether one has been redeemed after he has fulfilled God's requirement for salvation is to call God a liar! This is a terrible sin. How much better to trust God's Word, which says, "Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God" (1 Jn. 5:1).

A believer was once asked, "Do you feel that your sins are forgiven?" "No," was the reply, "I do not always feel that they are forgiven, but I know they are, because God says so in His Word!"

Paul did not say, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will feel that you are saved." He said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved" (Acts 16:31). Not all people feel that their sins are forgiven the moment they put their faith in Jesus Christ and receive the gift of salvation, but they are saved nonetheless. The feeling may come later.

Even the faintest cry to God for salvation is heard and answered. Rest on the rock-solid foundation of the Word, not on the sinking sand of your feeling! — Henry G. Bosch
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
imoneru?
Familiar Member

Post by imoneru? »

imoneru? wrote:
Gabrielman wrote:Hey Ray not to intrude or anything but I looked at your profile and it said you weren't a Christian, yet you seem like one and you even used the cross for an avitar. Are you a Messianic Jew then? :D I love Messianic Jews (Zola Levitt and his ministry are a good example.). Just thought I would ask cause I was wondering. God bless!
I guess I wasn't thinking when I used the cross for my avatar Gab. so I changed it for one that makes me less Hypocritical
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

Hmm... Wasn't trying to make you seem hypocritcal, just thought you hit the wrong button on your profile is all. Sorry if I made you feel bad.
God bless!
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
imoneru?
Familiar Member

Post by imoneru? »

cslewislover wrote:I understand. I just don't believe God is going to play mind games (or spiritual games, lol) with individuals or with the concept of salvation. I think if you believe it with your mind, your heart will follow. There are so many that post here, at this board, that want to talk only of the mind. They say if they believe with their mind, they will believe all the way. But you are saying you believe with our mind, yet you aren't saved because of God's work. Yes, the Holy Spirit needs to come to you. Since I trust God to do the right thing, then I almost think there's something holding you back from receiving the Holy Spirit, or maybe even keeping you from knowing you have it already. I don't know - I haven't received any special knowledge or anything like that. I just know that God is faithful and is not sadistic. "Heart" of course is a feeling; we feel so much in our chest with different emotions, so it's just a word to use, for feeling. Different ways of knowing.

These may not help at all--sorry if they don't. I feel like telling you to be like Dorothy, who closed her eyes, clicked her shoes, and believed; or like Peter Pan and the others, who knew they believed in fairies, they just needed to remind themselves. Lol. Maybe it's this concept - you believe with your head, you just need to apply it.

April 29, 2001
To Be Sure
READ: 1 John 5:1-13
These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life. --1 John 5:13

Evangelist Dwight L. Moody (1837-1899) said, "I believe hundreds of Christians are being deceived by Satan now on this point: They don't have the assurance of salvation just because they are not willing to take God at His Word!"

John 5:24 says the person who believes on the Son "has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment." Our assurance, then, is not based primarily on how we feel but on what God says. And when we take God at His Word, the feeling often follows.

This is illustrated in the story of a man who was carrying a sack of potatoes on his back. A skeptic asked him, "How do you know you are saved?" The man let the potatoes fall and replied, "How do I know I have dropped the bag? I didn't see it fall." "No," replied the skeptic, "but you can tell, I suppose, by the lessening of the weight." "Exactly," said the Christian. "That's how I know I'm saved too. I have lost my load of sin, and have found peace in my Lord and Savior."

If you will first trust in Christ and believe His Word, your burden of guilt and doubt will fall. Then and only then will you feel the difference. Don't make the mistake of trying to get the feeling before you do the believing. — Henry G. Bosch

April 24, 1999
Feeling Or Faith?
READ: Acts 16:25-34
He who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed the testimony that God has given of His Son. —1 John 5:10

Many people seem to think that it's wrong to say we know we are bound for heaven. But the Bible tells us we can be sure.

Jesus said, "He who believes in Me has everlasting life" (Jn. 6:47). To question, therefore, whether one has been redeemed after he has fulfilled God's requirement for salvation is to call God a liar! This is a terrible sin. How much better to trust God's Word, which says, "Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God" (1 Jn. 5:1).

A believer was once asked, "Do you feel that your sins are forgiven?" "No," was the reply, "I do not always feel that they are forgiven, but I know they are, because God says so in His Word!"

Paul did not say, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will feel that you are saved." He said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved" (Acts 16:31). Not all people feel that their sins are forgiven the moment they put their faith in Jesus Christ and receive the gift of salvation, but they are saved nonetheless. The feeling may come later.

Even the faintest cry to God for salvation is heard and answered. Rest on the rock-solid foundation of the Word, not on the sinking sand of your feeling! — Henry G. Bosch
I cut and pasted this and I don't know the author so I cant give him credit for it but it discribes the way I feel about being "Born Again"much better than I have been able to do....Ray

What Does It Mean to be Born Again?

Dear N.V.

Thanks for your recent letter in which you asked, "What is a description of a Christian? Also, what is a Born Again Christian? I consider myself a Christian but don't know if I am a Born Again Christian or how important it is to be one."

Whenever we use words we need to be sure of their definitions, so your letter asks important questions. The word "Christian" has many different meanings attached to it.

Much of the world uses the word Christian in a very broad sense. They will say, for example, "America is a Christian nation," or at least they will say it used to be a Christian nation. Someone who was raised in a home where everyone went to, say, the Methodist Church will often think they are Christians. Sometimes you will hear someone say, "I was born a Christian and I'll die a Christian."

However, from a biblical view, the word "Christian" has a much narrower definition. A Christian, according to the Bible is someone who has had a very definite experience with the Lord Jesus Christ. That experience is to have been "born again." So, in reality the only Christians are born again Christians.

So what is a born again Christian? I refer you to the place in the Bible where this whole discussion started-John, chapter three. In this passage, the Lord is talking to a very religious man, Nicodemus. Nicodemus has come to him by night and said, "We know you are come from God..." Jesus, however, cut him short and said, "Nicodemus, you must be born again."
Jesus response troubled Nicodemus. He said, "What does this mean? Must a man reenter his mother's womb to be born again?"
Jesus told him that there were two kinds of birth, a natural birth and a spiritual birth. He said, "Marvel not, ye must be born again." He further said that if a person is not born again, he "cannot see the Kingdom of God."

To be born again is to be reborn through the spirit. It is coming to Jesus Christ and sincerely accepting Him as Lord and Savior without reservation. It means giving up your life in exchange for a life that is no longer your own. It is a life that Jesus now owns. As the owner of that life, He has the right to direct it, change it, and even end it if He so pleases.

Born again Christians are said to have "died to self." That does not mean that they do not have the same sinful nature and desire to control their own destinies, but that they have renounced the right to that destiny. they may struggle with that decision and sometimes even act like they have reneged on the decision, but the bottom line is that they have made a very serious decision to give up their lives and destiny to the control of Jesus Christ.

One who has been born again knows it. Maybe not initially, and maybe not deeply, but one who has been born again begins to experience a new life. He, as Paul says, has been "transferred from the kingdom of darkness into the Kingdom of the Son of God." His life is no longer his own. "The life he now lives he lives through hope in the Son of God who loved me and gave Himself for me."

The experience of being born again is, as you might expect, the very beginning doorway to a new life. Birth is always the first activity of a new life, is it not?

Though, as I have said, a newly born again person may struggle with whether or not he has actually passed through into a new life, eventually he will find himself in new territory. "Old things pass away; behold, all things are become new." There is a new perspective to every aspect of life, a new color, a new fragrance, a new directions-a new Director! Being born again is the true mark of a true disciple.

It may be possible that a person who was born again at a very early age may not be able to remember the event clearly. However if that person has lived as a born again Christian throughout his or her life, then I doubt they would question having had the experience. The fact that you ask the question gives me reason to doubt that you have experienced the new birth. I hasten to add, however, that only God can look on a person's heart-I certainly can't. So your salvation remains an issue between you and God. However, I must also add that the born again Christian experiences a life of assurance. There is an assurance of salvation, of having finally and for all pleased God. If you feel as though you must strive to please God, then again I would wonder if you have come to ultimate peace with Him.

These matters are often difficult to approach because we have nothing with which to compare them. There is no other experience like the born again experience. It is rather like the blind man who, when questioned about his healing experience with Jesus, said, "All I know is that I was blind and now I see." So it is with the born again experience. That is why Jesus could say to Nicodemus, "Stop wondering! You must be born again."

I'm not sure this helps, but I pray it does.

God bless you in your continued desire to experience the full Grace of God.

Does this give you a better idea of what I have been struggling with ??.....Ray
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

How can a Christian not read the bible every day? I ask that question, yet I was one who didn't.

I have read the bible every day, faithfully for over five years. I don't say this to pat my self on the back. Hebrews 4:12 is real to me, praise the Lord!! Now that the bible is alive, I read it differently. I look forward to reading it. I look forward to studying it with others, and hearing gifted teachers expound upond the word. Sometimes I memorize it just for fun. isn't that crazy??

If you read the bible every other day, that is 180+ days a year that you fail to feed on God's Word. Would you go 180 days a year without eating? Heavens no.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
touchingcloth
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by touchingcloth »

I wonder what percentage of americans are ignorant of the Bhagavad Ghita?
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by ageofknowledge »

touchingcloth wrote:I wonder what percentage of americans are ignorant of the Bhagavad Ghita?
I wonder what percentage of Americans are ignorant of the Bible. When 70% of high schoolers polled were asked what state New Orleans was in, after Hurricane Katrina, they couldn't say. We've raised a generation of touchy feeling oriented modern liberals that don't know very much except how to screw, party, and twitter. This doesn't bode well for the future of the country. Maybe you can organize them into a Hindu song fellowship and they can smoke pot, worship some idols of non-existent "gods" and chant for hours rather than put their lives to work to accomplshing meaningful objectives like saving the world as their grandparent's generation did.

Party on Garth... Hindu style.

Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

ageofknowledge wrote:
touchingcloth wrote:I wonder what percentage of americans are ignorant of the Bhagavad Ghita?
I wonder what percentage of Americans are ignorant of the Bible. When 70% of high schoolers polled were asked what state New Orleans was in, after Hurricane Katrina, they couldn't say. We've raised a generation of touchy feeling oriented modern liberals that don't know very much except how to screw, party, and twitter. This doesn't bode well for the future of the country. Maybe you can organize them into a Hindu song fellowship and they can smoke pot, worship some idols of non-existent "gods" and chant for hours rather than put their lives to work to accomplshing meaningful objectives like saving the world as their grandparent's generation did.

Party on Garth... Hindu style.

Now now Age, we are not all like that, just an overwhelming majority is all. I don't know how to do any of those things, seriously I don't even twitter. However you did leave out a few things, they also do drugs, drink, and pull imature pranks thinking they are funny or cool. They are also very vicious towards the Christian faith and won't hear 2 words about it. That's because they listen to the liberal left in this country and watch things like msnbc, who constanly attack our faith. They believe the lies they are told and will except no answers for them, or they live in the subjective reality idealism. Very sad for the future if you ask me, but all we can do is try and do what God has called us to do.
God bless!
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

I can understand how Hindus could have a problem with Muslims given how they persecuted them though. The Muslims killed about 70 million Hindus when they invaded. They killed a 100,000 in a day just for sport once. Pretty intense stuff. That Islam was a bad seed to start with but once it migrated to Medina it got really nasty. But they shouldn't extend that to Christians like some do. They persecute Christians in India. Bad memories from the Muslims.
For_Narniaaa
Established Member
Sex: Female

Post by For_Narniaaa »

bizzt wrote:
FFC wrote:
bizzt wrote:We have a Mall up here in Calgary that put up the Jesus in a Stable Scene (QUITE SUPRISING). A news story about it was on and was asking people who these people were. It is quite suprising the Answers from Kids and Adults alike who do not know the Story of Jesus. :shock: :(
They didn't know what the nativity was?
Not at all. Some of them knew of the Nativity but thought the names were Adam and Eve etc... Just Sad :(
Back when I was in elementary school, I remember coming home to my mother one day and saying how shocked I was by a girl at my school. I had been talking about Jesus, and she suddenly went, "Who's Jesus?"

My third-grade face: y:O2

y@};-

"Fear of the Lord is the foundation of true knowledge." ~Proverbs 1:7

"The God of the universe---the Creator of nitrogen and pine needles, galaxies and E-minor---loves you with a radical, unconditional, self-sacrificing love." ~Francis Chan

Banner credit: arwen-undomiel.com
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

ageofknowledge wrote:I can understand how Hindus could have a problem with Muslims given how they persecuted them though. The Muslims killed about 70 million Hindus when they invaded. They killed a 100,000 in a day just for sport once. Pretty intense stuff. That Islam was a bad seed to start with but once it migrated to Medina it got really nasty. But they shouldn't extend that to Christians like some do. They persecute Christians in India. Bad memories from the Muslims.
Not surprising since most of that is ingrained into the Koran and the Hadith. They are just doing what they are told...
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8