Music

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
crmann
Newbie Member
Christian: No

Post by crmann »

Good morning, and greetings...

The spirit within me desires music that glorifies God. Everything in our life is either of God, or of Satan. In everything we do we must make a choice. Do we do that which is of God, or do we do that which is not of God.
1 Thessalonians 5:22 tells us to abstain from all appearance of evil. Romans 12:2 tells us not to conform ourselves to the standards of this world, but to let God transform us inwardly by a complete change of our mind. Then we will be able to know the will of God—what is good, what is pleasing to him and what is perfect.

If those performers and writers of music aren't of God, their music won't be of God. So when I listen to music, or have it in my home, if it doesn't edify my soul unto God, and if it doesn't glorify God, I simply don't enjoy it. It is always a real blessing to hear a person sing who loves the lord. We are told of Christians, by their fruit you shall know them. Non Christians simply cannot know what I am trying to convey here.

I also play concert gospel and concert arrangements of well known hymns on both the organ and piano. I do this for the congregation of the church I attend during the offertory. Believe it or not, they always clap. This is my way of serving the Lord that I love.

Blessings All,

Cleveland,
An old timer....
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

crmann wrote:Good morning, and greetings...

The spirit within me desires music that glorifies God. Everything in our life is either of God, or of Satan. In everything we do we must make a choice. Do we do that which is of God, or do we do that which is not of God.
1 Thessalonians 5:22 tells us to abstain from all appearance of evil. Romans 12:2 tells us not to conform ourselves to the standards of this world, but to let God transform us inwardly by a complete change of our mind. Then we will be able to know the will of God—what is good, what is pleasing to him and what is perfect.

If those performers and writers of music aren't of God, their music won't be of God. So when I listen to music, or have it in my home, if it doesn't edify my soul unto God, and if it doesn't glorify God, I simply don't enjoy it. It is always a real blessing to hear a person sing who loves the lord. We are told of Christians, by their fruit you shall know them. Non Christians simply cannot know what I am trying to convey here.

I also play concert gospel and concert arrangements of well known hymns on both the organ and piano. I do this for the congregation of the church I attend during the offertory. Believe it or not, they always clap. This is my way of serving the Lord that I love.

Blessings All,

Cleveland,
An old timer....
My thoughts EXACTLY!
jakelo
Recognized Member

Post by jakelo »

Blessings All,

Cleveland,
An old timer....
So basically you're saying that unless a person writes of God and ONLY God, he is of the devil? I think the way you're putting everyting in black and white is a little narrow minded. It doesn't mean a writer's song is evil if his/her song isn't just about God.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

jakelo wrote:

Blessings All,

Cleveland,
An old timer....
So basically you're saying that unless a person writes of God and ONLY God, he is of the devil? I think the way you're putting everyting in black and white is a little narrow minded. It doesn't mean a writer's song is evil if his/her song isn't just about God.
Music that we listen to should be edifying for the soul. Whether it is Rock, Blues, Country, Gospel etc... Whether Cleveland ment that or not I am not sure but I agree that Music we listen to should edify our Soul. If it does not Edify it then really what good is it?
FFC
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

bizzt wrote:
jakelo wrote:

Blessings All,

Cleveland,
An old timer....
Music that we listen to should be edifying for the soul. Whether it is Rock, Blues, Country, Gospel etc... Whether Cleveland ment that or not I am not sure but I agree that Music we listen to should edify our Soul. If it does not Edify it then really what good is it?
I agree. Music is a gift from God. It is always good when it edifies the soul, but people who like gangsta rap could say that that "music" edifies their soul and who could argue with them? I think it is also important to ask yourself if the music you are listening to brings dishonor to God.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
jakelo
Recognized Member

Post by jakelo »

Well I don't really think this music thread should get too deep into conversation. Music is music, and God gave us the free choice to listen to the music of our choice. I will not, however, even consider thinking about believing that I am dishonoring God or turning my back to Him in any way, shape, or form just because I am praying one minute and listening to heavy metal the next. I know that no one has actually attacked any person in any way in this thread, but I just thought I'd share my feelings because I've had people tell me some bad things because of the music I enjoy listening to.
bizzt

Post by bizzt »

jakelo wrote:Well I don't really think this music thread should get too deep into conversation. Music is music, and God gave us the free choice to listen to the music of our choice. I will not, however, even consider thinking about believing that I am dishonoring God or turning my back to Him in any way, shape, or form just because I am praying one minute and listening to heavy metal the next. I know that no one has actually attacked any person in any way in this thread, but I just thought I'd share my feelings because I've had people tell me some bad things because of the music I enjoy listening to.
Should we make a new thread about if Music should edify your soul?? God has given you free choice indeed. We all have the free choice however what we do with that free choice is what Honours God. What we do reflects on who we are. BTW Heavy Metal does not always mean dishonouring God. There are many HM bands out there that are Christian
jakelo
Recognized Member

Post by jakelo »

I never said a thread should be started about that topic. I said that I don't think this should go too deep into discussion because the point of this thread was simply to see who listened to what type of music.
zstep14
Familiar Member

Post by zstep14 »

I've been listening to the Red Hot Chili Peppers lately, and a lot of Indie Rock.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I've been listening to a lot of veggie tales and the sound track from the SpongeBob Squarepants movie.

Apparently I'm spending too much time with my 5 year old in the car .....
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Canuckster1127 wrote:I've been listening to a lot of veggie tales and the sound track from the SpongeBob Squarepants movie.

LOL! My youngest is 10 and he loves SpongeBob (some adults like him too I guess). Personally, his laugh (or cry, they're the same to me) gives me an excruciatingly piercing pain behind my left eye. I do remember when my kids were little and were into Barney. Oh so many times I wished I could just shoot the bastard (hope no kids are reading this). My wife and I quite often find ourselves humming the various Barney tunes, then wake up drenched in sweat. Luckily I have an MP3 full of rock n roll and a 1 hour commute each way to snap me back into my own reality.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
FFC
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Byblos wrote:
Canuckster1127 wrote:I've been listening to a lot of veggie tales and the sound track from the SpongeBob Squarepants movie.

LOL! My youngest is 10 and he loves SpongeBob (some adults like him too I guess). Personally, his laugh (or cry, they're the same to me) gives me an excruciatingly piercing pain behind my left eye. I do remember when my kids were little and were into Barney. Oh so many times I wished I could just shoot the bastard (hope no kids are reading this). My wife and I quite often find ourselves humming the various Barney tunes, then wake up drenched in sweat. Luckily I have an MP3 full of rock n roll and a 1 hour commute each way to snap me back into my own reality.
Oh come on Byblos, the SpongeBob Squarepants theme is cool. Who doesn't like a pirate ditty? :lol:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

FFC wrote:Oh come on Byblos, the SpongeBob Squarepants theme is cool. Who doesn't like a pirate ditty? :lol:

I guess I could tolerate the movie theme song, but I gotta draw the line somewhere, before the laughing starts :lol: (so much pun, it's silly).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Byblos wrote:
FFC wrote:Oh come on Byblos, the SpongeBob Squarepants theme is cool. Who doesn't like a pirate ditty? :lol:

I guess I could tolerate the movie theme song, but I gotta draw the line somewhere, before the laughing starts :lol: (so much pun, it's silly).
What? You don't see the greatness in songs like .....
Artist: Rachel Fagerburg Lyrics
Song: Under My Rock Lyrics

It's where you'll always find me
If you're walking right behind me
Where is it? Please remind me. Oh yeah,
Under my rock!
Under my rock!

Here's the bed that I lie in
Laugh and sigh and cry in
Or eat a piece of pie in
Under my rock!
Under my rock!

It's cold and hard and kind of gray (under my rock)
It's the only place I'll ever stay (under my rock)
Got snacks in a free telephone (under my rock)
In this stone that I call home
Let's rock!

I got a welcome mat and dirty socks
A sink, a table, and a secret box
Myself and me can be alone
In my stone that I call home

That's the chair I sometimes doze on
The hankey I blow my nose on
Hey, my favorite show's on!
Under my rock!
Under my rock!

I guess that completes our tour
So let me show you to the door
That's all, there ain't no more
Under my rock!
Under my rock!
Boys, take it home!

Oh, I already am home (under my rock)
Yeah, it's where we are (under my rock)
Still here (under my rock)
This is prime real estate, baby! (under my rock)
Everything I need, I got right here (under my rock)
I don't need to go anywhere else (under my rock)
It ain't much, but it's a place to hang my hat (under my rock)
I don't wear a hat. I wear shorts. I can hang my shorts there. (under my rock)
Stand back, I'm taking 'em off. Hey, where's everybody going?
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Canuckster1127 wrote:
Byblos wrote:

What? You don't see the greatness in songs like .....
Artist: Rachel Fagerburg Lyrics
Song: Under My Rock Lyrics

It's where you'll always find me
If you're walking right behind me
Where is it? Please remind me. Oh yeah,
Under my rock!
Under my rock!

Here's the bed that I lie in
Laugh and sigh and cry in
Or eat a piece of pie in
Under my rock!
Under my rock!

It's cold and hard and kind of gray (under my rock)
It's the only place I'll ever stay (under my rock)
Got snacks in a free telephone (under my rock)
In this stone that I call home
Let's rock!

I got a welcome mat and dirty socks
A sink, a table, and a secret box
Myself and me can be alone
In my stone that I call home

That's the chair I sometimes doze on
The hankey I blow my nose on
Hey, my favorite show's on!
Under my rock!
Under my rock!

I guess that completes our tour
So let me show you to the door
That's all, there ain't no more
Under my rock!
Under my rock!
Boys, take it home!

Oh, I already am home (under my rock)
Yeah, it's where we are (under my rock)
Still here (under my rock)
This is prime real estate, baby! (under my rock)
Everything I need, I got right here (under my rock)
I don't need to go anywhere else (under my rock)
It ain't much, but it's a place to hang my hat (under my rock)
I don't wear a hat. I wear shorts. I can hang my shorts there. (under my rock)
Stand back, I'm taking 'em off. Hey, where's everybody going?
I will admit I'm too artistically shallow.