Why try to prove God exists?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
SourceofLiFe
Recognized Member

Post by SourceofLiFe »

There is no evidence of toothfairy.

As one of you mentioned above.

Please do not compare toothfairy with God.

God is everywhere, there is evidence of him everywhere.

His creation is everywhere, it is because he created so much that we human beings have trouble seeing.

It's out of our sight.

Those with faith in the Lord will live by the truth. Only in the truth, you shall find true happiness and only true happiness may last for eternity.

May God be with you at all times.

Do not disprove the concept of evolution, as evolution have no direct conflict with God.

It is those who twist the information to draw conflict, those are the ones who have conflict with God.
Anonymous

Hmmm

Post by Anonymous »

I have trouble with the usage of he or him. I liked the "God is everywhere" statement, but then you followed with "there is evidence of him everywhere". It makes G-d sound very human like. Maybe that is part of the reason some don't understand the true power of G-d is because they subconsciously are associating G-d with man. Maybe we should use the word G-d as we do nature. The qualities of G-d and nature are much more similar than G-d to humans. As you were disturbed at the comparison of the toothfary with G-d, I am intrigued at your likening G-d to a person as you or I.

[quote="SourceofLiFe"]There is no evidence of toothfairy.

As one of you mentioned

Please do not compare toothfairy with God.

God is everywhere, there is evidence of him everywhere.

His creation is everywhere, it is because he created so much that we human beings have trouble seeing.

It's out of our sight.

Those with faith in the Lord will live by the truth. Only in the truth, you shall find true happiness and only true happiness may last for eternity.

May God be with you at all times.

Do not disprove the concept of evolution, as evolution have no direct conflict with God.

It is those who twist the information to draw conflict, those are the ones who have conflict with God.[/quote]
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No

Re: Hmmm

Post by Felgar »

TruthinNature wrote:I have trouble with the usage of he or him. I liked the "God is everywhere" statement, but then you followed with "there is evidence of him everywhere". It makes G-d sound very human like. Maybe that is part of the reason some don't understand the true power of G-d is because they subconsciously are associating G-d with man. Maybe we should use the word G-d as we do nature. The qualities of G-d and nature are much more similar than G-d to humans. As you were disturbed at the comparison of the toothfary with G-d, I am intrigued at your likening G-d to a person as you or I.
While I agree that the majesty of and true nature of God is beyond our full comprehension, I disagree that likenning God to man is invalid.

First, God actually BECAME man in the form of Jesus Christ. Jesus was definately a man of flesh, and at the same time He was God. So in that sense each of us should strive to be as much like Jesus as possibly - He was a perfect human, though we could never be.

Second, God made us in His own image. Now really it seems to me that it's our spirit that is more closely related to God than our flesh, but nevertheless we (in our completeness) were made in the image of God. Again, a comparison seems valid.

Third, we are created to have a personal relationship with God. We were created with the capability to love God - our capacity to Love certainly has an element divinity, for if it didn't our love could not possibly mean anything. Though again, all life and love ultimately comes from God.

And really as much as you renounce the likenning of God to man, I also renounce the likenning of God to nature. God is not some formless 'force'; He is not the sum of all that is in existance, or some undefined omniscience. Rather He is the living God - He walked the Earth as God (with Adam) and He walked the Earth as Jesus. And He lives within us, and we know Him personally.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Other than what Felgar said, Truth, we should also point out that God IS a person (three, to be exact). I always crack a smile when people refer to the Holy Spirit as an It but to the Father and Jesus as He. Personhood is defined (theologically, if not at least philosophically) by the possession of intelligence, will, and emotion. God has all three (better, the Father has all three, the Son has all three, and the Spirit has all three . . . thus, all three are "persons").

It is, therefore, entirely appropriate to refer to Him as a "Him." Maybe your problem is not that we are making God to "manlike" but rather you have not realized that Man, unlike other animals, are "Godlike"? After all, are we not made in God's image?

But, I get the feeling that you are just concerned with downplaying the glory and majesty of God. Just be assured that God is more of a personality than we are . . . the son is like his father. We don't say the father looks like the son. ;)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
RGeeB
Established Member

Post by RGeeB »

At work recently we've been told how to recognise and deal with people based on their personality preferences, using the MBTI system. One aspect of this was the way people were convinced in arguments. At one end we had the people who associated with logical systematic arguments (eg scientists) and at the other end we had folk who needed arguments to make them feel good emotionally (eg children nurses).

It was said that there was no correct approach and that most people tended to be somehwere in between. Also, I have observed that men (a majority) approach proofs logically and women emotionally.

Now, we've been asked to love God with our heart, soul and mind. Is it possible that the emotional types tend to associate more with God with their hearts and the logical types do it more with their minds? In terms of recognising the presence of God, I propose that people in general prefer one approach to the other.
Maranatha!
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

I only consider God male because that is how He revealed Himself to us (I suspect that if He would have came as a woman, nobody would have listened to Him). But He is a spirit and as such, I don't think He has a gender, since He has no need for reproduction.
RGeeB
Established Member

Post by RGeeB »

Not talking about the issue of whether God is male or female. However, since its come up, this is my take - God provides us with security (associated with males in society) and God provides us with nurture (associated with females in society).

I was just making an observation. There have been a few people on this website who claim to have logically come to the conclusion of the existance of God based on the inadequacies of alternative theories of the origins of life. There have also been people who have come to know God just because they have 'felt' that He is there. I think both approaches should be commended.
Maranatha!
Sam Gentry

Theory of Universal evolution.

Post by Sam Gentry »

Shouldn't it be called the Big Flash Theory since nobody was around to hear it? And can you hear anything in space? Any my point is universe has to come from somewhere. Now the new theory is that black hole do let the matter out at some point. For example: A black hole eats a star and lets out a gamma ray burst. Could that star be a galaxy in another universe? And the gamma ray burst is like a burp. There are many black holes in the universe. Maybe it is a way to compress data, so to speak. Our universe could be a part inside of an atom of another world, and so on. And I'm not religious, but that would NOT make us gods of the worlds within our own atoms. Because our own atoms will live a lot longer than us. We are just but an evolutionar step. Look at the Earths delicate eco-system. Our particles will be around forever, what are the odds of them all meeting back up? We will be obsolete at some point. My point is nothing really matters except enjoying your time on Earth and letting others too.

Any part we play in this universal evolution is just one step in a blink of the cosmic eye.
Deborah

Re: Theory of Universal evolution.

Post by Deborah »

Sam Gentry wrote:Any part we play in this universal evolution is just one step in a blink of the cosmic eye.
This is true, but as christians we believe that God made the universe and is responsible for all life.
I think this joke wraps up our time on earth pretty much.

The Million Dollar Question for God

A poor man walking in the forest feels close enough to God to ask, "God, what is a million years to you?"

God replies, "My son, a million years to you is like a second to me."

The man asks, "God, what is a million dollars to you?"

God replies, "My son, a million dollars to you is less than a penny to me. It means almost nothing to me."

The man asks, "So God, can I have a million dollars?"

And God replies, "In a second

It's true that our lives on earth are like a blink of a cosmic eye.
But our lives on Earth are in preparation for eternity.