Many Atheists DO Believe in the Supernatural

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Many Atheists DO Believe in the Supernatural

Post by Philip »

From NewScientist.com:

"Most atheists believe in the supernatural, despite trusting science"

30 May 2019

Atheists are more irrational than you might think
by Jenny Matthews / Alamy Stock Photo

The research article was written by a group of professors from Oxford, University of Kent, and St. Mary's, covering unbelievers' beliefs across a variety of countries.

Here's the introductory paragraph: Belief in the supernatural is still alive and kicking, even among people who don’t believe in a god. Research on atheists and agnostics around the world has revealed that almost nobody can claim to completely reject irrational beliefs such as life after death, astrology, and the existence of a universal life-force.

The UK-based Understanding Unbelief project interviewed thousands of self-identified atheists and agnostics from six countries – Brazil, China, Denmark, Japan, US and UK. It found that despite their godlessness, a majority believe in at …

And here is the actual research and conclusions: https://research.kent.ac.uk/understandi ... rtRome.pdf

My takeaway is, a lot of atheists and agnostics nonetheless have supernatural beliefs that are not science-based - they dismiss the idea of God or god. And yet they simultaneously embrace the supernatural. Interesting!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Many Atheists DO Believe in the Supernatural

Post by PaulSacramento »

There is a difference between those that don't believe in God and those that believe that the material, observable, universe is all there is.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

Philip wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:55 pm From NewScientist.com:

30 May 2019

The research article was written by a group of professors from Oxford, University of Kent, and St. Mary's, covering unbelievers' beliefs across a variety of countries.

Here's the introductory paragraph: Belief in the supernatural is still alive and kicking, even among people who don’t believe in a god. Research on atheists and agnostics around the world has revealed that almost nobody can claim to completely reject irrational beliefs such as life after death, astrology, and the existence of a universal life-force.

The UK-based Understanding Unbelief project interviewed thousands of self-identified atheists and agnostics from six countries – Brazil, China, Denmark, Japan, US and UK. It found that despite their godlessness, a majority believe in at …

And here is the actual research and conclusions: https://research.kent.ac.uk/understandi ... rtRome.pdf

My takeaway is, a lot of atheists and agnostics nonetheless have supernatural beliefs that are not science-based - they dismiss the idea of God or god. And yet they simultaneously embrace the supernatural. Interesting!
Does this surprise you? If so, why?
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:44 pm

30 May 2019

No, it's not surprising that atheists would dismiss God's existence, while believing the supernatural exists. Atheism is an emotional, non-rational position. There's no evidence nor proof, that God doesn't exist. It just shows that those atheists simply refuse to believe in God.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:19 pm

30 May 2019

No, it's not surprising that atheists would dismiss God's existence, while believing the supernatural exists. Atheism is an emotional, non-rational position. There's no evidence nor proof, that God doesn't exist. It just shows that those atheists simply refuse to believe in God.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to have the attitude, that if you are going to believe in the Supernatural, you might as well believe in God! Is this correct? Or am I misjudging you.
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:39 pm

30 May 2019

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to have the attitude, that if you are going to believe in the Supernatural, you might as well believe in God! Is this correct? Or am I misjudging you.
Misjudging me? You're not addressing what I wrote. Agnosticism is the more honest position.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:00 am

30 May 2019

Misjudging me? You're not addressing what I wrote. Agnosticism is the more honest position.
Agnosticism is not about what you believe or don't believe, its about what you know or don't know
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:34 pm

Agnosticism is not about what you believe or don't believe, its about what you know or don't know
How many times does this need to be explained to you?
An Agnostic believes that he cannot know whether or not God exists.

So it IS about what one believes.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:56 pm

Not quite. The agnostic CLAIMS nobody can know whether or not God exists.
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:47 pm

y#-o

Kenny,

How many claims do people make, that they DO NOT actually believe?

If I claim something to be true, that means that I first have to believe it to be true!

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:03 am
Kenny wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:47 pm

y#-o

Kenny,

How many claims do people make, that they DO NOT actually believe?

If I claim something to be true, that means that I first have to believe it to be true!
Gnostic means to have knowledge.
Agnostic is about not having knowledge concerning God. Do you agree?
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:
Not quite. Gnostic is not a verb. As an adjective, gnostic means "relating to knowledge, especially esoteric mystical knowledge."
Kenny wrote:
No. You keep leaving out the "believing" part in the definition. I'd like to give you the benefit of doubt, but when you continually redefine words so they fit your narrative, I question your honesty.

An Agnostic, is a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:51 am
Kenny wrote:
Not quite. Gnostic is not a verb. As an adjective, gnostic means "relating to knowledge, especially esoteric mystical knowledge."
Kenny wrote:
No. You keep leaving out the "believing" part in the definition. I'd like to give you the benefit of doubt, but when you continually redefine words so they fit your narrative, I question your honesty.

An Agnostic, is a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.
Okay I see where you're coming from. Let me rephrase.

Theism/Atheism is based on belief concerning God
Agnosticism is based on belief concerning knowledge of God
Do you agree?
RickD wrote
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:47 am
Kenny wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Do you agree?
No.

-Edward R Murrow

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

RickD wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:42 am
Kenny wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:47 am
Kenny wrote:
Kenny wrote:

Do you agree?
No.
Considering the definition you provided, tell me where I've gone wrong.
RickD wrote