What Makes Human Beings Special?
Let me count the ways:
The only creature on the planet that:
- Has a deep psychological way of thinking about self, others and the dynamics of situations and events
- Mostly has a deep need for the love of friends, family and others
- Is spiritual, seeks God (or gods) in a way to meet inner needs
- Can compose brilliant pieces of music, design incredible instruments, have mastery of such
- Can invent astonishing technological marvels, that can now even go beyond our solar system, both physically and optically
- Can create amazing tools like the various applications of higher mathematics
- Seeks beauty on a scale rather remarkable - in each other, physically, aesthetically, in nature, art
- Can replicate reality in amazing detail through artistic endeavors
- Has a sense of humor, finding great joy in laughter, jokes and silly things (anyone thinking of Rick? )
- Can quickly learn and master complex languages, create more and more new words
- Can write books and poetry, even websites that keep us glued to our devices
- Has an insatiable desire to explore the planet's beauties, mysteries, as well as those beyond our planet
- Devices methodologies like the scientific method, producing never ending discoveries
- Sex isn't just for pro-creation, or per instinct - it's also pursued for physical pleasure, love and bonding
- We have a sense of history, and are passionate about discovering more of it
- Artistic expression is important to us - whether through art, music, sport, dance, writing, photography, etc.
OK, that's a good start. Perhaps a good question is, per the materialist only view - WHY are we the only creature out of millions of other ones that have lived, that the list above describes such capabilities?