Morality

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 8998
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: Morality

Postby Kurieuo » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:51 am

Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Hypothetical Kenny. If you died, then woke up before God who appears to be judging everyone according to their moral conscience, do you think you'd pass?

After reading it again; let me give a different answer. Yes of course I would pass! After all, it is my moral conscience that I am being judged by

:lol: Wow, I'm not sure I've met someone who's never had a guilty conscience over doing something wrong.

My moral conscience would not require perfection in order to pass. I recognize I am not perfect, and it would be foolish and or cruel to require perfection from an imperfect person

Well then, great. Let's place God away now you've acknowledged you're not perfect according to your own morality. But then, it's your own morality isn't it? Can't you just tweak it here and there so that it doesn't really matter? Why you could potentially pass with flying colours, A+, 100% couldn't you? Maybe not in someone else's eyes, but in your own. It's your own morality afterall.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 18424
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: Morality

Postby RickD » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:00 am

And I thought atheists accused Christians of inventing God.

Kenny conveniently invented some false, illogical god, just to discredit this impossible god.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Byblos
Old School
Posts: 5696
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:21 pm
Christian: Yes
Location: NY

Re: Morality

Postby Byblos » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:06 am

RickD wrote:And I thought atheists accused Christians of inventing God.

Kenny conveniently invented some false, illogical god, just to discredit this impossible god.


That is exactly why I stopped conversing with him. But to be fair, at least he's been consistent with his illogical position. Never did he or will he take it to its logical conclusion.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Morality

Postby Kenny » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:29 am

Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:Hypothetical Kenny. If you died, then woke up before God who appears to be judging everyone according to their moral conscience, do you think you'd pass?

After reading it again; let me give a different answer. Yes of course I would pass! After all, it is my moral conscience that I am being judged by

:lol: Wow, I'm not sure I've met someone who's never had a guilty conscience over doing something wrong.

My moral conscience would not require perfection in order to pass. I recognize I am not perfect, and it would be foolish and or cruel to require perfection from an imperfect person

Well then, great. Let's place God away now you've acknowledged you're not perfect according to your own morality. But then, it's your own morality isn't it? Can't you just tweak it here and there so that it doesn't really matter? Why you could potentially pass with flying colours, A+, 100% couldn't you? Maybe not in someone else's eyes, but in your own. It's your own morality afterall.


Why tweak it here or there in order to get a higher score? You don't need to get an A+ 100% in order to get a passing score! No thank you; I would prefer an honest C over a dishonest A+.

Ken
Last edited by Kenny on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Morality

Postby Kenny » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:32 am

RickD wrote:And I thought atheists accused Christians of inventing God.

Kenny conveniently invented some false, illogical god, just to discredit this impossible god.


Byblos wrote: That is exactly why I stopped conversing with him. But to be fair, at least he's been consistent with his illogical position.

You gotta love it; someone asks me to consider a hypothetical concerning God, doing something he would never do, I answer his question and all of a sudden everybody and their mother pops up accusing me of creating a false illogical God in order to discredit theirs; making me the bad guy again. Yup gotta love it!
Byblos wrote: Never did he or will he take it to its logical conclusion.

So what is this "logical conclusion" that you speak of ?

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 7989
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Morality

Postby PaulSacramento » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:46 am

Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:No Ken, you are missing the point that stealing - taking what belongs to another without permission is never viewed as good, even if it may be viewed as acceptable or even necessary.
Can you show me one case of a culture, since the beginning of recorded history, where theft is viewed as good?
Every culture has had a penalty for stealing ( even if they at some point they condone stealing from others), hence every culture has viewed stealing is wrong.


I like this part:

Every culture has had a penalty for stealing ( even if they at some point they condone stealing from others), hence every culture has viewed stealing is wrong.

Do you see a contradiction in that statement? My mama used to say; “actions speak louder than words”. If they condone something, they probably don’t see it as wrong, in spite of what they say.
You defied stealing as taking what belongs to another. If you were to go to the City of Seattle (the city council even) there are plenty of people in Government who feel if you have more, you should give to those who have less; and if you refuse to give to those who have less, the government should take from you and give to those who have less; because equity is far more important than equality. And it isn’t just my city, its many big cities in the USA. If this isn’t the definition you gave for stealing, what do you call it?


I see you don't understand that difference between something being condoned and it be right.


I think you are missing my point. My point is, any society that will say stealing (taking something that doesn’t belong to you) is wrong, will make countless exceptions of when taking something that doesn’t belong to you is okay.
Any society that will say killing (ending life) is wrong will make countless exceptions of when taking a life is okay
Any society that will say lying (purposely giving false information) is wrong, will make countless exceptions of when giving false information is okay.
See where this is going? These exceptions are generally going to be based on personal feelings, and extenuating circumstances. That is subjectivity; not objectivity.

Ken


No Ken.
Stealing is objectively wrong because NOWHERE is it viewed as right.
It may be condoned BUT never viewed as right.
THAT is the point.

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Morality

Postby Kenny » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:04 pm

PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:No Ken, you are missing the point that stealing - taking what belongs to another without permission is never viewed as good, even if it may be viewed as acceptable or even necessary.
Can you show me one case of a culture, since the beginning of recorded history, where theft is viewed as good?
Every culture has had a penalty for stealing ( even if they at some point they condone stealing from others), hence every culture has viewed stealing is wrong.


I like this part:

Every culture has had a penalty for stealing ( even if they at some point they condone stealing from others), hence every culture has viewed stealing is wrong.

Do you see a contradiction in that statement? My mama used to say; “actions speak louder than words”. If they condone something, they probably don’t see it as wrong, in spite of what they say.
You defied stealing as taking what belongs to another. If you were to go to the City of Seattle (the city council even) there are plenty of people in Government who feel if you have more, you should give to those who have less; and if you refuse to give to those who have less, the government should take from you and give to those who have less; because equity is far more important than equality. And it isn’t just my city, its many big cities in the USA. If this isn’t the definition you gave for stealing, what do you call it?


I see you don't understand that difference between something being condoned and it be right.


I think you are missing my point. My point is, any society that will say stealing (taking something that doesn’t belong to you) is wrong, will make countless exceptions of when taking something that doesn’t belong to you is okay.
Any society that will say killing (ending life) is wrong will make countless exceptions of when taking a life is okay
Any society that will say lying (purposely giving false information) is wrong, will make countless exceptions of when giving false information is okay.
See where this is going? These exceptions are generally going to be based on personal feelings, and extenuating circumstances. That is subjectivity; not objectivity.

Ken


No Ken.
Stealing is objectively wrong because NOWHERE is it viewed as right.
It may be condoned BUT never viewed as right.
THAT is the point.


As I pointed out to you before, the action YOU define as stealing IS viewed as right by many societies. Remember it is you who gave the definition of stealing. I just agreed with you.

User avatar
Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 5800
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains

Re: Morality

Postby Philip » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:17 pm

Ken: As I pointed out to you before, the action YOU define as stealing IS viewed as right by many societies. Remember it is you who gave the definition of stealing. I just agreed with you.


Wrong - their test is, when on the receiving end of a behavior, do you feel wronged? Violated, etc. The most prolific thief is angered when someone steals from him - a very negative reaction. Even when such people feel it their personal right that they should steal from others, that doesn't mean that they think stilling is morally wrong - because they selectively judge such an action. They just view it as they have the power and opportunity to steal, and so they do. But, again, the truth of the objectivity lies in the reactions found on the receiving end.

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 8998
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: Morality

Postby Kurieuo » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:17 pm

Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:After reading it again; let me give a different answer. Yes of course I would pass! After all, it is my moral conscience that I am being judged by

:lol: Wow, I'm not sure I've met someone who's never had a guilty conscience over doing something wrong.

My moral conscience would not require perfection in order to pass. I recognize I am not perfect, and it would be foolish and or cruel to require perfection from an imperfect person

Well then, great. Let's place God away now you've acknowledged you're not perfect according to your own morality. But then, it's your own morality isn't it? Can't you just tweak it here and there so that it doesn't really matter? Why you could potentially pass with flying colours, A+, 100% couldn't you? Maybe not in someone else's eyes, but in your own. It's your own morality afterall.


Why tweak it here or there in order to get a higher score? You don't need to get an A+ 100% in order to get a passing score! No thank you; I would prefer an honest C over a dishonest A+.

So did you choose this morality or does it just seem embedded within your mind? It seems strange to me that this is your subjective morality, and yet, it seems like its a standard that presses against your own moral conscience telling you what is/isn't right. So much so that you'll accept its "C" grade of yourself rather than simply change your moral standards.

To put it in terms of icecream, if I like eating chocolate icecream over strawberry icecream, but eating choc icecream is considered bad by many, why then I'd tell them it is good and take my "A" grade. Yet, it seems like you can't really do this with your morality, you can't tell your moral conscience that actually what you did is good, and so then being honest with this standard that presses upon your mind, which judges you for your moral actions, you take what you call "an honest C".
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Morality

Postby Kenny » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:09 pm

Philip wrote:
Ken: As I pointed out to you before, the action YOU define as stealing IS viewed as right by many societies. Remember it is you who gave the definition of stealing. I just agreed with you.


Wrong - their test is, when on the receiving end of a behavior, do you feel wronged? Violated, etc. The most prolific thief is angered when someone steals from him - a very negative reaction. Even when such people feel it their personal right that they should steal from others, that doesn't mean that they think stilling is morally wrong - because they selectively judge such an action. They just view it as they have the power and opportunity to steal, and so they do. But, again, the truth of the objectivity lies in the reactions found on the receiving end.


To consider an action wrong only when it is applied to you, but not when applied to everyone else, is an example of subjective; not objective.

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Morality

Postby Kenny » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:19 pm

Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote: :lol: Wow, I'm not sure I've met someone who's never had a guilty conscience over doing something wrong.

My moral conscience would not require perfection in order to pass. I recognize I am not perfect, and it would be foolish and or cruel to require perfection from an imperfect person

Well then, great. Let's place God away now you've acknowledged you're not perfect according to your own morality. But then, it's your own morality isn't it? Can't you just tweak it here and there so that it doesn't really matter? Why you could potentially pass with flying colours, A+, 100% couldn't you? Maybe not in someone else's eyes, but in your own. It's your own morality afterall.


Why tweak it here or there in order to get a higher score? You don't need to get an A+ 100% in order to get a passing score! No thank you; I would prefer an honest C over a dishonest A+.

Kurieuo wrote: So did you choose this morality or does it just seem embedded within your mind?

I think its just embedded within my mind.
Kurieuo wrote: It seems strange to me that this is your subjective morality, and yet, it seems like its a standard that presses against your own moral conscience telling you what is/isn't right.

No; the standard IS my own moral conscience.
Kurieuo wrote: So much so that you'll accept its "C" grade of yourself rather than simply change your moral standards.

The only way I can change my moral standards is if I become convinced they are wrong.
Kurieuo wrote: To put it in terms of icecream, if I like eating chocolate icecream over strawberry icecream, but eating choc icecream is considered bad by many, why then I'd tell them it is good and take my "A" grade.

Is this grade A Chocolate Ice cream, or grade A Strawberry Ice cream? You lost me on that one bro.
Kurieuo wrote: , it seems like you can't really do this with your morality, you can't tell your moral conscience that actually what you did is good, and so then being honest with this standard that presses upon your mind, which judges you for your moral actions, you take what you call "an honest C".

Okay I think I get what you meant by “A” grade. My conscious and my standard are not in conflict with each other; they are the result of each other. Sometimes my emotions can get the best of me and I react in a way that I would not if I weren’t being emotional. I could be angry, excited, scared, etc. and these emotions could cause me to react to a situation in a way that I would not if I were to just calm down and logically consider the right thing to do. To logically consider the right thing to do would be an example of acting to my conscious and moral standard. To react out of anger would be an example of not meeting my own standard.
As far as changing my moral standard; to put in terms of Ice Cream, I could no longer change my moral standard due to convenience than I could change my preference of strawberry over chocolate ice cream due to convenience

Ken

User avatar
Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 5800
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains

Re: Morality

Postby Philip » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:06 am

Ken: To consider an action wrong only when it is applied to you, but not when applied to everyone else, is an example of subjective; not objective.


That might be true if we didn't observe this to be universally true - that all people, everywhere, including ALL prolific thieves, are angered and perceive a great wrong has been committed against them whenever someone steals from them. If it were merely subjective, how do you explain the total, universal reaction of perfect consistency?

Kenny
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2708
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Morality

Postby Kenny » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:49 am

Philip wrote:
Ken: To consider an action wrong only when it is applied to you, but not when applied to everyone else, is an example of subjective; not objective.


That might be true if we didn't observe this to be universally true - that all people, everywhere, including ALL prolific thieves, are angered and perceive a great wrong has been committed against them whenever someone steals from them. If it were merely subjective, how do you explain the total, universal reaction of perfect consistency?


So you are asking how do I explain the universal reaction of people feeling bad when they are wronged, though selfish people don’t feel bad when someone everyone else is wronged? EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES. When extenuating circumstances are taken into account before determining, this is an example of subjective.

User avatar
Philip
Board Moderator
Posts: 5800
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Betwixt the Sea and the Mountains

Re: Morality

Postby Philip » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:07 am

Ken: So you are asking how do I explain the universal reaction of people feeling bad when they are wronged, though selfish people don’t feel bad when someone everyone else is wronged? EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES. When extenuating circumstances are taken into account before determining, this is an example of subjective.


Extenuating circumstances can't explain a universal - as ALL people - no matter how selfish, evil, or kind, considerate, considered moral within their own cultures - consider a wrong done to them if someone steals from them. If it were merely subjective, we'd see wide inconsistency in that. Some would be glad they were visited by thieves - others, extremely angry. But that's not what we see. If ANYONE, without provocation, has been physically assaulted by another - no matter how selfish, murderous, or kind and forgiving, they see such action as a great wrong has been committed against them. That's another universal and objective moral standard!

User avatar
Nicki
Valued Member
Posts: 486
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:36 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Western Australia

Re: Morality

Postby Nicki » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:29 am

Philip wrote:
Ken: So you are asking how do I explain the universal reaction of people feeling bad when they are wronged, though selfish people don’t feel bad when someone everyone else is wronged? EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES. When extenuating circumstances are taken into account before determining, this is an example of subjective.


Extenuating circumstances can't explain a universal - as ALL people - no matter how selfish, evil, or kind, considerate, considered moral within their own cultures - consider a wrong done to them if someone steals from them. If it were merely subjective, we'd see wide inconsistency in that. Some would be glad they were visited by thieves - others, extremely angry. But that's not what we see. If ANYONE, without provocation, has been physically assaulted by another - no matter how selfish, murderous, or kind and forgiving, they see such action as a great wrong has been committed against them. That's another universal and objective moral standard!


Isn't it just that no one likes being stolen from or assaulted? Being assaulted hurts, for a start, so it's pretty unpleasant. Being stolen from usually results in inconvenience or hardship, also unpleasant. Of course we usually have some sense of being violated as well.


Return to “Philosophical Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests