Is it bad to be too Good?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
User avatar
Vergil
Established Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:16 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Is it bad to be too Good?

Postby Vergil » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:50 am

I have a friend . . . who keeps saying to me "Don't be a Martyr, it's bad to be too good" I argued that "but being good is that, good, what makes good bad?"

He gave me this points
† Being too good is equals on people taking advantage of you.
† You being good is just highly unlikely and he proceeds to push the argument that I have copied the answers of my classmates at math (I am guilt of that since I have math anxiety and it's soo hard)
† He argues that "You feel like life needs to have lesson to advance, life has no erasures and what we answered will tell us if we are Good or Bad" ( I honestly don't know what philosophy is this)
† I'm immature for thinking the world is what I think it is

But his answer to me "Being too good is bad" stuck to me, is it bad to be too good?

To me it's part of being a Christian. how about thee? milords and miladies
Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.
- Jesus Christ

Disappointment is inevitable. But to become discouraged, there's a choice I make. God would never discourage me. He would always point me to himself to trust him. Therefore, my discouragement is from Satan. As you go through the emotions that we have, hostility is not from God, bitterness, unforgiveness, all of these are attacks from Satan.
- Charles Stanley

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 17638
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: Is it bad to be too Good?

Postby RickD » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:47 am

Sorry Vergil,


I've never had a problem of being too good. Too much of the old man comes out in me.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Vergil
Established Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:16 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Is it bad to be too Good?

Postby Vergil » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:53 am

RickD wrote:Sorry Vergil,


I've never had a problem of being too good. Too much of the old man comes out in me.


It's okay milord

Well . . .according to my friends, being too good is bad, that people will tend to step upon those who are so nice, some might agree to that logic, but I don't. But they are still dead set that i should "drop the nice act" or something like that, I know that they care but . . . come on, this is ridiculous.
Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.
- Jesus Christ

Disappointment is inevitable. But to become discouraged, there's a choice I make. God would never discourage me. He would always point me to himself to trust him. Therefore, my discouragement is from Satan. As you go through the emotions that we have, hostility is not from God, bitterness, unforgiveness, all of these are attacks from Satan.
- Charles Stanley

User avatar
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Posts: 2880
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 pm
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Is it bad to be too Good?

Postby Nessa » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:46 am

Perhaps wrong question?

I mean can a person be too loving?

What we need to ask instead is 'Is what I am doing helpful or not helpful?'

You can show alot of goodness to someone and even appear to be "too good"
e.g the samaritan story in the bible and it be helpful.

Or you can appear to be 'too good' at homework and so you do your friends homework for them cos they struggle. That is not helpful in the long run.

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 17638
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: Is it bad to be too Good?

Postby RickD » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:18 pm

Vergil wrote:
RickD wrote:Sorry Vergil,


I've never had a problem of being too good. Too much of the old man comes out in me.


It's okay milord

Well . . .according to my friends, being too good is bad, that people will tend to step upon those who are so nice, some might agree to that logic, but I don't. But they are still dead set that i should "drop the nice act" or something like that, I know that they care but . . . come on, this is ridiculous.

People tend to step on other people who allow them to step on them. You can still do good things, while knowing if someone is trying to take advantage of you.
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

User avatar
Vergil
Established Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:16 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Is it bad to be too Good?

Postby Vergil » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:41 pm

RickD wrote:
Vergil wrote:
RickD wrote:Sorry Vergil,


I've never had a problem of being too good. Too much of the old man comes out in me.


It's okay milord

Well . . .according to my friends, being too good is bad, that people will tend to step upon those who are so nice, some might agree to that logic, but I don't. But they are still dead set that i should "drop the nice act" or something like that, I know that they care but . . . come on, this is ridiculous.

People tend to step on other people who allow them to step on them. You can still do good things, while knowing if someone is trying to take advantage of you.


Does that mean I can have revenge? or does imply something else entirely milord?
Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.
- Jesus Christ

Disappointment is inevitable. But to become discouraged, there's a choice I make. God would never discourage me. He would always point me to himself to trust him. Therefore, my discouragement is from Satan. As you go through the emotions that we have, hostility is not from God, bitterness, unforgiveness, all of these are attacks from Satan.
- Charles Stanley

User avatar
RickD
Board Moderator
Posts: 17638
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:59 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age
Location: Kamino

Re: Is it bad to be too Good?

Postby RickD » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:19 pm

Vergil wrote:
RickD wrote:
Vergil wrote:
RickD wrote:Sorry Vergil,


I've never had a problem of being too good. Too much of the old man comes out in me.


It's okay milord

Well . . .according to my friends, being too good is bad, that people will tend to step upon those who are so nice, some might agree to that logic, but I don't. But they are still dead set that i should "drop the nice act" or something like that, I know that they care but . . . come on, this is ridiculous.

People tend to step on other people who allow them to step on them. You can still do good things, while knowing if someone is trying to take advantage of you.


Does that mean I can have revenge? or does imply something else entirely milord?

No, I'm not advocating revenge.

Let me give you an example. My wife has a very difficult time saying "no", when people at her work ask her to work for them when they need a day off. Unless my wife has something specific planned, she almost always will offer to work. But then when my wife needs a day off, and nobody is willing to work for her, my wife gets mad. I keep telling her that people tend to take advantage of her, because she won't say no.

I tell her that they only take advantage of her, because she allows them to.

See what I mean?
1 Corinthians 1:9
9 God is faithful, through whom you were called into fellowship with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Audie wrote:
"Christianity is not a joke, but it has some very poor representatives."


St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Posts: 7377
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:29 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Is it bad to be too Good?

Postby PaulSacramento » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:26 am

No such thing as "too good" since, more often than not, our good deeds are tainted with selfish undertows.
They say that the road to hell is paved with good intentions but they are wrong.
See, the road to hell is paved with good deeds done with wrong intentions.

User avatar
B. W.
Board Moderator
Posts: 7787
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:17 am
Christian: Yes
Location: Colorado

Re: Is it bad to be too Good?

Postby B. W. » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:13 am

++++
Vergil wrote:I have a friend . . . who keeps saying to me "Don't be a Martyr, it's bad to be too good" I argued that "but being good is that, good, what makes good bad?"

He gave me this points
† Being too good is equals on people taking advantage of you.
† You being good is just highly unlikely and he proceeds to push the argument that I have copied the answers of my classmates at math (I am guilt of that since I have math anxiety and it's soo hard)
† He argues that "You feel like life needs to have lesson to advance, life has no erasures and what we answered will tell us if we are Good or Bad" ( I honestly don't know what philosophy is this)
† I'm immature for thinking the world is what I think it is

But his answer to me "Being too good is bad" stuck to me, is it bad to be too good?

To me it's part of being a Christian. how about thee? milords and miladies


I think your friend is using the wrong word so ask him how he defines Good.

Most often people confuse being Nice as what Good is.

If so, the, it's bad to be too nice, would indeed make more sense as to his points...changed below:

† Being too nice is equals on people taking advantage of you.

† You being nice is just highly unlikely and he proceeds to push the argument that I have copied the answers of my classmates at math

† He argues that "You feel like life needs to have lesson to advance, life has no erasures and what we answered will tell us if we are nice or Bad

† Nice is immature for thinking the world is what I think it is


Let us further look at these and answer:

† Being too nice is equals people taking advantage of you ie others.

Yes, true statement

† You being nice is just highly unlikely and he proceeds to push the argument that I have copied the answers of my classmates at math

Yes, true as it would not be nice to others if one cheated. Anyways who hasn't cheated in some manner such as using tax laws for ones advantage, involved in sales, did what ever to get ahead in life against another, cheated on a test, pulled strings, did that quid pro quo thing, and the list goes on and on...

† He argues that "You feel like life needs to have lesson to advance, life has no erasures and what we answered will tell us if we are nice or Bad"

Hmmm, your friend will die like all us will. If atheism is true its erased. If not then doing without Christ in one's life will mean all one’s un-niceness is not erased as None can be Nice or even good enough - no not one. Everyone needs a champion a savoir to release and deliver them from all un-niceness and badness and to stop one from trying to be their own champion.

Jesus Christ is that very one true champion whose act alone on that cross does indeed erase all our badness past, present, and future changing us daily out of the darkness that faces the un-erased life without Jesus Christ.

† I'm immature for thinking the world is what I think it is...

This proves that your friend is neither nice nor good but rather guilty of being sanctimonious. How he answers you proves he must answer one day for his own bad superior holier than attitude against you since in his eyes there are no erasures in life according to his world view.

He made an immature statement... he is neither nice or good... thank him for proving that turn away and walk away and pray for this friend for God to change and wait...

Present the gospel to him - be hard hitting about it don't be Hillsong-ish about it. It is good and proves niceness to be harsh in order to save a person's life.

God's grace is like that, harsh at times. How so?

In this way, God's Grace keeps pounding on a person's door to his or her heart. If people refuse to answer God knocks louder and louder through all the knocks we receive in life.

If we still don't answer and always seek things that serve our self-will then God's Grace gets in our face and slaps us in order to gain our attention that our life is not all well thus showing the need for the Lord Jesus Christ to be our savior, our champion. Grace pounds away sparing us by a undeniable miracles of avoiding a bad accident, etc, etc, but people tell themselves not to answer the door as all was mere coincidence. Self will remain intact.

God's grace yells and strikes a person to wake up till one either awakens or its too late and they die rejecting God's grace and thus sealed as choosing their own self will over God's Loving Grace who did everything to get's one attention to erase all the shame.

We may not like to think of God's grace like that but for me I am eternally grateful he did not give up by having his Grace standing in my face and slapping me out of my sloth and wasteful life.

Vergil, be not afraid simply ask the Holy Spirit to empower you with words of wisdom, knowledge, discernment, understanding, and for the words to answer - it is easy. He will empower you to make a stand and with that, walk you through to conquer the fear felt deep within that hinders so many. A baptism of power form on High is by Grace freely given - just simple acceptance of these gifts of empowerment erases self-will in yourself and others. Just ask and he will grant to you and us all. Its free because He paid it all. Modern church in many places simply will not ask and instead talk their members out of this so the knocks in life continues till folks wake up to this free gift.

Remember this:

It is not about methods; it is about a true living lifestyle that simply is founded on these principles:

Sings forth praise, pray, feast on the word of God (which all three in any order done develops that personal knowing relationship with God) then obey what comes through prayer, the word, praise and you will do well and stand tall. You can do these in any order.

All Revivals begin and are maintained that way as the examples of Jesus as well as the Book of Acts show how it was done. These you will uncover that the apostles and disciples of Jesus Christ, lived these lifestyles that changed the world. They started filled with fears and doubts. Began immature but the power of the Holy Spirit leads them and changed the world around him HIS workings - not ours alone but HIM alone working through such folks as we are.

What do we do to promote church growth, planting, etc?

We take polls and try to fix things to build the church based on these poll studies, latest fades conforming the modern church to be more like the world - inept and stuck on promoting and justifying self-will over God's will. I am thankful for God's Grace!

Remember this as well as Copy these words and keep what I wrote before you for a later date and time and let the Lord have His way...in you - you will do well.

Blessings to you Vergil!

B. W. Melvin
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

User avatar
Vergil
Established Member
Posts: 130
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:16 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Is it bad to be too Good?

Postby Vergil » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:48 am

Thank you for all of your answers milords
Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me.
- Jesus Christ

Disappointment is inevitable. But to become discouraged, there's a choice I make. God would never discourage me. He would always point me to himself to trust him. Therefore, my discouragement is from Satan. As you go through the emotions that we have, hostility is not from God, bitterness, unforgiveness, all of these are attacks from Satan.
- Charles Stanley

User avatar
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Posts: 5488
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:53 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist
Location: Fort Smith, AR
Contact:

Re: Is it bad to be too Good?

Postby Jac3510 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:05 pm

"Do not be excessively righteous and do not be overly wise. Why should you ruin yourself? " Eccl 7:16
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue

And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.

User avatar
Kurieuo
Technical Admin
Posts: 8706
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:25 am
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist
Location: Qld, Australia

Re: Is it bad to be too Good?

Postby Kurieuo » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:02 pm

Guess we're ruined then. :P
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)

___________________

Image

User avatar
bbyrd009
BANNED
Posts: 546
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:48 pm
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided
Location: Ft Myers, FL

Re: Is it bad to be too Good?

Postby bbyrd009 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:33 pm

with all due respect, yes, we are. Codependence is a known hazard in the developed world, and we are highly Codependent as a nation in the US now. My whole family is highly Codependent--but of course few people even have a functional definition for "codependency."
"Creation is continuous, and never stops."


Return to “Philosophical Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests