Superior than ...

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Superior than ...

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I'm always respectful with those I disagree with. I just show why I'm right and they are wrong and let the chips fall where they may,but I do not think I'm superior to somebody because they think differently than me. I know that we all have strengths and weaknesses when it comes to our knowledge about things.

I know I'm weak in some areas and others are strong in some areas,but I'm strong about what I know is true or right but without being disrespectful. It is a sign of weakness to me when a person gets personal or gets upset or angry over something.The truth hurts people,and it can take time to seep in once they settle down and think it through,so I leave it up to time when I've showed somebody the truth and it is rejected.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote:All people, whether believers or skeptics, believe their view to be superior to the opposing view.
That is why we have that view.
Very few people subscribe to a view that they KNOW to be inferior.

Now, putting myself in the crosshairs, I do believe that my belief in God is superior to a non-belief in God and I can cite reason and rational and so forth for believe as I do.
Of course so can the skeptic.

What MAY be the difference ( and not I say MAY) is that, for the believer ( and I am speaking of myself and my circle of friends/acquaintances) believing their view to be superior does NOT equal BEING superior.
I mean that, even though I believe my belief in God is superior to non-belief, I do NOt think that belief makes me better or superior to ANY person that believes differently.

That said, I am sure there are SOME that believe that way ( I don't personally know of any).

Now, we all know of vocal and public skeptics that DO claim that their non-belief does indeed make THEM superior ( recall the famous movement by some to call atheists "brights").

I have debated and visited and read many atheist websites and what tends to happen, more often than not, is the caricature of the believer as being uneducated, ignorant and lower IQ ( and yes I am aware of the study that showed that atheists tend to high higher IQ's and I accept that).

That said, I have also seen my fare share of skeptics being characterized in very poor taste by believers simply because they were non-believers.

My point is that why we all believe our view to be correct and by default superior, it does NOT mean that WE are superior to another that has a different view.
I've often stated I believe my views are superior to all others, not just with religion; but politics or any other view one might have. If I were to see another view I consider superior to my own, I would discard my view and adopt the new superior view as my own. I suspect most people are this way

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:All people, whether believers or skeptics, believe their view to be superior to the opposing view.
That is why we have that view.
Very few people subscribe to a view that they KNOW to be inferior.

Now, putting myself in the crosshairs, I do believe that my belief in God is superior to a non-belief in God and I can cite reason and rational and so forth for believe as I do.
Of course so can the skeptic.

What MAY be the difference ( and not I say MAY) is that, for the believer ( and I am speaking of myself and my circle of friends/acquaintances) believing their view to be superior does NOT equal BEING superior.
I mean that, even though I believe my belief in God is superior to non-belief, I do NOt think that belief makes me better or superior to ANY person that believes differently.

That said, I am sure there are SOME that believe that way ( I don't personally know of any).

Now, we all know of vocal and public skeptics that DO claim that their non-belief does indeed make THEM superior ( recall the famous movement by some to call atheists "brights").

I have debated and visited and read many atheist websites and what tends to happen, more often than not, is the caricature of the believer as being uneducated, ignorant and lower IQ ( and yes I am aware of the study that showed that atheists tend to high higher IQ's and I accept that).

That said, I have also seen my fare share of skeptics being characterized in very poor taste by believers simply because they were non-believers.

My point is that why we all believe our view to be correct and by default superior, it does NOT mean that WE are superior to another that has a different view.
I've often stated I believe my views are superior to all others, not just with religion; but politics or any other view one might have. If I were to see another view I consider superior to my own, I would discard my view and adopt the new superior view as my own. I suspect most people are this way

Ken
Kenny,

I hope you realize that "I don't know", technically isn't a view.
:fyi:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

abelcainsbrother wrote:I'm always respectful with those I disagree with. I just show why I'm right and they are wrong and let the chips fall where they may,but I do not think I'm superior to somebody because they think differently than me. I know that we all have strengths and weaknesses when it comes to our knowledge about things.

I know I'm weak in some areas and others are strong in some areas,but I'm strong about what I know is true or right but without being disrespectful. It is a sign of weakness to me when a person gets personal or gets upset or angry over something.The truth hurts people,and it can take time to seep in once they settle down and think it through,so I leave it up to time when I've showed somebody the truth and it is rejected.
:lol: This made me smile ACB.
People on this board especially seem often upset and hurt by your truth.
Maybe in time, they'll get to see the truth. :P
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

Kurieuo wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:I'm always respectful with those I disagree with. I just show why I'm right and they are wrong and let the chips fall where they may,but I do not think I'm superior to somebody because they think differently than me. I know that we all have strengths and weaknesses when it comes to our knowledge about things.

:lol: This made me smile ACB.
People on this board especially seem often upset and hurt by your truth.
Maybe in time, they'll get to see the truth. :P

The truth of geppery?
The tears in mine eyes are from laughter.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

The truth of 'geppery' ?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

crochet1949 wrote:The truth of 'geppery' ?
She meant Gappery.

ACB only shops at The GAP.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

RickD wrote:
She meant Gappery.

Your explanation is appreciated.

So he's a Gap theory person. :) Lots of theories 'out there'.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

crochet1949 wrote:
RickD wrote:
She meant Gappery.

Your explanation is appreciated.

So he's a Gap theory person. :) Lots of theories 'out there'.
No. He literally only shops at The GAP. ACB only wears skinny jeans.

-Edward R Murrow

crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

So -- The Gap is Superior than ..say...Walmart?! At least for skinny jeans. Gotta admit I'm not a 'The Gap' person.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

I have shopped around other places too though.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

abelcainsbrother wrote:I have shopped around other places too though.
There seems to be a gap in that logic. 8-}2

-Edward R Murrow