Last Christian on Earth

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
IceMobster
Christian: No
Sex: Male

Last Christian on Earth

Post by IceMobster »

No, it has no correlation with the dumbass movie "Last man on Earth" (seriously, don't watch it, so utterly dumb, waste of time)

Anyway, let us take a hypothetical point of view and imagine there is only one left Christian in the world and that is you. Christians are to be eradicated and so you are caught. However, much like in the Roman empire before 313. AD, you need to confess you are a Christian to be killed.
Would you admit that you are a Christian and die, or would you deny/secrete Christ (much like Peter did) so you could "restore" Christianity (hand over the faith on)?
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Last Christian on Earth

Post by PaulSacramento »

Death is not final, it is simply the end of one stage of life to the beginning of another.
Death is nothing to be feared.
No, I would not deny My Lord.
I would meet my death with my Lord in my heart and into His hands I would commit my spirit.
To be honest, I could no more deny Him than I could deny breathing.
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

PaulSacramento wrote:Death is not final, it is simply the end of one stage of life to the beginning of another.
I would meet my death with my Lord in my heart and into His hands I would commit my spirit.
I see and I understand what you mean, but that would mean Christianity would seize to exist.

So, there is the division:
1)deny (while you deny him only with your mouth not with your heart) the Christ and let Christianity live on (that is, you would make sure it lives on, right?)
2)admit that you are a Christian and die whilst not denying Christ

Isn't it kinda a lose-lose situation? I mean, isn't it kinda selfish that you had the opportunity to spread the Message on, but you chose not to?
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

IceMobster wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Death is not final, it is simply the end of one stage of life to the beginning of another.
I see and I understand what you mean, but that would mean Christianity would seize to exist.

So, there is the division:
1)deny (while you deny him only with your mouth not with your heart) the Christ and let Christianity live on (that is, you would make sure it lives on, right?)
2)admit that you are a Christian and die whilst not denying Christ

Isn't it kinda a lose-lose situation? I mean, isn't it kinda selfish that you had the opportunity to spread the Message on, but you chose not to?
That is assuming that God would allow for Christianity to die off.
HUGE assumption.
BUT, even if that were the case then it would be God's will.
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

Deus vult!

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

IceMobster wrote:No, it has no correlation with the dumbass movie "Last man on Earth" (seriously, don't watch it, so utterly dumb, waste of time)

Anyway, let us take a hypothetical point of view and imagine there is only one left Christian in the world and that is you. Christians are to be eradicated and so you are caught. However, much like in the Roman empire before 313. AD, you need to confess you are a Christian to be killed.
Would you admit that you are a Christian and die, or would you deny/secrete Christ (much like Peter did) so you could "restore" Christianity (hand over the faith on)?
I wasn't aware that Peter denied Christ so he could "restore" Christianity.

But I suppose you can claim whatever you want. It's your hypothetical.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

RickD wrote:
IceMobster wrote:No, it has no correlation with the dumbass movie "Last man on Earth" (seriously, don't watch it, so utterly dumb, waste of time)

I wasn't aware that Peter denied Christ so he could "restore" Christianity.

But I suppose you can claim whatever you want. It's your hypothetical.
Well, damn. I meant that Peter only denied Christ, not the other part... My bad. Of course I do not think Peter "restored" Christianity, haha, wtf.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Ok, I'll play along with the hypothetical/imaginary scenario.

If I'm the last Christian on earth, it must mean I have some special powers or ability to avoid being killed, while all other Christians were executed.

So, I'd take my hypothetical superpowers, and just slip away from my captors. My hypothetical powers are superman's strength and speed.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Better to die. God doesn't need me to restore Christianity. See Paul's conversion. And for another interesting passage, check out 1 Ki 19:9-21 (esp vs 18). Again, the theological point is that God doesn't need me. And after all that, do bear in mind that God can raise the dead. If He so willed, He could allow me to be killed and then raise me and whomever else He so chose to restore Christianity.

Or perhaps He wouldn't want it restored. Perhaps He would simply be allowing His people to be removed from the earth to judge it as He saw fit. Who am I to question God? My job is only this: bow to God and be faithful in my confession. Now more and no less.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

This is a really tough question to answer because I think we would all say we would die for Jesus,maybe like Peter did. But when really faced with death I really think I would still choose to die. However when Christians were being burned at the stake for translating the bible into english some of them were tough in faith and faced death even singing hymns to Jesus as they were led out before the crowd to be burned,but others were very afraid,were crying and pleading for their lives and these were all Christians just reacting in different ways. Still I really think I would be willing to die regardless.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Not sure that that would be possible...

If it did happen - look out world the Revelation of John is upon you!
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
ICOYAR
Acquainted Member

Post by ICOYAR »

Wasn't this essentially the entire plot to the Twilight Zone episode "The Obsolete Man"?
Hortator
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Hortator »

Tricky question. While I think, so long as the word of God lives on, somebody somewhere will pick it up, say "Hmm, I never thought of it that way." and reignite Christianity.

But I assume in your scenario that every bible was burned, along with every Christian, save for one, and he or she has to either keep that a secret or admit it.

One choice ensures the continuation of "The Church", or Christendom, while the person who has to deny Christ might also be forgoing his/her salvation simultaneously. Otherwise, they would be a martyr without anybody save for God to recognize their sacrifice....

Now, as was said above, I simply don't think such a nightmarish scenario is "in the cards". I don't think the chain of events allows such conditions to occur. BUT if this did happen, I may probably sacrifice my salvation if it meant I could keep The Church alive.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Gee. tough one. One of me in this life, millions of me in the next?
Would it be wrong to have tears of joy streaming down my face as I confess? :lol:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

Your hypothetical is putting one man/ woman in the position to be able to save Christianity by staying alive to spread the Gospel to unbelievers. By denying Christ I would live -- taking a stand For Christ would bring my execution. Who says that my conscience would allow me to Do that. And who says that any non-believer who I Might befriend would believe me. My word would not be worth much. God's Word would stand a better chance of spreading one person at a time, when people would see that I was prepared to Die for my faith in Christ.
High schools kids who take a stand for believing in God Are shot and killed -- it serves as a wake-up call for the rest of us. I mean -- she didn't Have to do that -- she Could have hidden or denied -- but she Didn't.