Limitations to Western Philosophy?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
patrick
Established Member
Christian: Yes

Limitations to Western Philosophy?

Post by patrick »

I unfortunately don't have much to say myself, other than that I've been interested in the concept of 道 (Dao) lately, but I thought I'd leave this question here in case it strikes a chord with someone.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Limitations to Western Philosophy?

Post by RickD »

patrick wrote:I unfortunately don't have much to say myself, other than that I've been interested in the concept of 道 (Dao) lately, but I thought I'd leave this question here in case it strikes a chord with someone.
I'm more of a 大公报(Kung Pao) person, tbh.

But seriously, it can't hurt to learn about a different kind of philosophy than what you're familiar with.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
patrick
Established Member

Post by patrick »

I've been interested in Kung Pao for a while too. Definitely worth trying imo
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

What what what and what?

What does 大公报(Kung Pao) - one of the oldest newspaper (or a dish,lol?) (according to wiki) - have to do with 道 (Dao) - basically an eastern word for "Logos"??? (according to wiki)
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Ah soo - Kung Pao -

Rickseed is a master of Pao as captured in video...

Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
IceMobster
Christian: No

Post by IceMobster »

patrick wrote:I unfortunately don't have much to say myself, other than that I've been interested in the concept of 道 (Dao) lately, but I thought I'd leave this question here in case it strikes a chord with someone.
So, to get back on topic. What made you more interested in the concept?
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
patrick
Established Member

Post by patrick »

Well, Dao is often described as an essence behind words, a non-conceptual nature that, once understood, isn't conceptual in nature. I feel this is often lost in the garden of words we build to explain things.

This idea has been revealing the importance of sitting with words and phrases that I already think I know but have no internal sense for. One such being "the kingdom of God" which I came across today: https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/le ... G932&t=KJV , the key idea being "not to be confused with an actual kingdom but rather the right or authority to rule over a kingdom"

Before I may have thought maybe a better translation was in order, but that's still working at the level of names and labels.