Where is the free in freewill?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Where is the free in freewill?

Post by Jac3510 »

Audacity wrote:
Storyteller wrote:
Audacity wrote:
Storyteller wrote:Audacity, please bear with me.

I can be slow on the uptake sometimes, but more fool you if you dismiss me for that butwhat, exactly, are you asking? How what? Free will works?
Yes. In short: How is it the will does this rather than that?...
Because we choose.

Because we reason, rightly or wrongly, but we can choose.

That choice is free will.
Wouldn't a choice be the result of exercising the free will, rather than being identical with it?

In any case, how is it your will came to "choose" A rather than B?
Strictly, your will doesn't choose A rather than B. That's a circular statement. Rather, your intellect makes a judgment that A is preferable to B, and your will is your capacity to actualize that preference.

Let me try and help you see why your question is so stupid from a Christian perspective. We keep telling you that you are cutting down straw men. I want to try to demonstrate that for you (actually, for the benefit of the rest of the board, because I suspect you are an intractable troll incapable of processing what is being said to you, but even trolls have a use, and that use is to provide rational people with material by which to refine their own thoughts and ideas):

Consider the saints in heaven--or, for that matter, the angels confirmed in grace. These beings are impeccable, which means that they cannot do evil. They are incapable of sin. They can only do what is good and right. Now, many people assume, then, that such beings have lost their free will. After all, if you can't choose to do evil, then you don't have free will! If God somehow coerces you to do good, then you've made no choice (and some press that point further by saying that therefore the choice to do good, being no choice at all, renders the good done of no moral significance, and thus the saints in heaven are less saintly than the fallen believers of earth!). But such an argument only holds on your modernistic understanding of free will. In fact, understood correctly, the glorified saints are freer than any of us. The reason goes back to what I said before. Free will is not about the ability to choose good or bad, this or that. Free will nothing more or less than the natural capacity of the person to elect this good rather than that. Now, for you and me, our ability to elect this good rather than that is highly constrained. That's why Christians speak of The Fall. We deny that humans in this life are truly free, because we are in bondage to sin. What happens, in practice, is that we either are unable to see the good in something or else we think we see good in something that is not good. Moreover, because of our selfish natures, the good we seek is usually directed not to love (in the proper sense of the word) but rather only to self-"fulfillment." For reasons I won't go into here, that itself is sufficient to prevent us from actually electing a good at all, which is one of the reasons we are so inclined to sin.

But none of that applies to the glorified saints. Not only are they freed from the bondage of sin and thus tendency toward the self, but their intellects are purified so that they can see what is actually good, and they take part in what is called the Beatific Vision. Now the BV is nothing less than the Vision of God. They see Him. Now, God is Good. I'm not making a moral claim about Him. I am saying something about His essence. For reasons I don't have the time to explain here, Good and Being are interchangeable terms (so something is good to the extent it exists and to the extent it does not exist, that it suffers privation of being, it is evil). Moreover, He is Perfect Good because He is Absolute Being. The old, technical word is actus purus (Pure Actuality). God alone has this attribute. He is absolutely and necessarily good. All else is, necessarily, contingently and finitely good. Thus, when the glorified saints see God, they see Perfect Good. They cannot but will themselves to God.

And this is where you fail to understand what free will is. There is no coercion here. The will necessarily elects the good, and since God is the highest good, then the will--when it perceives God--necessarily wills itself toward God. And in willing the Absolute Good, it thereby wills that which closest to that absolute good.

Now, in all of this, I'm being a bit anthropomorphic. I speak of the will as if it is a person--as if the will were choosing. But that's not the case at all. It is the PERSON who chooses, and he does so by making use of many of his faculties. The senses perceive some good. The intellect makes a judgment as to a good. In abstraction, the intellect compares this good to that. Again, in this life, all goods are contingent, and thus no particular good is willed necessarily. But some goods are far more likely to be willed than others. If I offered you a million dollars or a sandwich, which would you choose? I probably know which that would be: the greater good. That's just how the intellect works, and the act of electing one to the other just is the act of the will.

That's why I said before: the will is the natural capacity of a person to elect this good rather than that. It is not the choice itself. The choice is the result of the will. The will is a capacity--natural in the sense that the capacity is rooted in what we are (rational beings). Understood this way, it's just absurd to suggest that there can be no determinative factor in free will. The will is the determinative factor! By nature, it determines this rather than that good. But the will, by nature, necessarily MUST will a good. The problem is that the will cannot perceive any good. That is the faculty of the intellect. So the intellect submits to the will what it has perceived--which requires interpretation of what it has perceived. And the person, in choosing what he has perceived here rather than what he perceives there, activates the will. All of this is true even where there is only one choice. If I say, "Pick a number between one and three, but the number can't be one or three," then your choice of "two" is still your choice. And you willed it freely. You perceived the good of two, and you willed that. You were not determined to will "two." Your will is fitted to an infinite number of goods--not two exclusively. And therefore, the willing of two is the determining of what was previous indeterminate. That's why we call the will "free." It is "free" in the sense that it is naturally fitted to any number of goods.

By the way, the intellect is "free" in this same sense. Our intellect is fitted to an infinite number of ideas. It is not determined to this or that idea.

And all of this is why that the saints in heaven, the confirmed angels, Jesus, and ultimately God Himself, are all much freer than any of us, even though they all (including God) necessarily will God and cannot fail to do so!

[Note: again, this was written for the rest of the community more than to Audacity. He cut bait and ran a long time ago. So I hope that you all find this somewhat helpful! My interest in Audacity, besides being a teaching tool, is limited to my office pool of how much longer before he's banned . . . ;)]
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Audacity
BANNED
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audacity »

IceMobster wrote: Certainly, there were some factors in play which "leaned" your mind to choose A rather than B, but, in the end, mind chooses this or that.
But how did it choose this rather than that?
If I take a gun and shoot a random guy walking down the street right now, was I determined to do so? But if I don't do it was I determined not to do so?

Yup and Yup.
See, I can do any mentioned course of action which is why it is called free will and not just will.
No it isn't. Free will is so called because it denotes the ability to choose between different possible courses of action.
Now, just how does it go about doing this choosing?
Even though, having read your OP again, I guess the casual effect affected me in a way that all of what I said is pretty much irrelevant since I didn't answer the "how"...
Yup.
Audacity
BANNED

Post by Audacity »

Jac3510 wrote: Strictly, your will doesn't choose A rather than B. That's a circular statement. Rather, your intellect makes a judgment that A is preferable to B, and your will is your capacity to actualize that preference.
I know you're necessarily hung up on your own definitions, but for the others who may have tuned in here. . . .

The Will, generally, is that faculty of the mind which selects [chooses], at the moment of decision, the strongest desire from among the various desires present.
source : Wikipedia

The term will as used in Catholic philosophy, may be briefly defined as the faculty of choice;
source

Will
the faculty of conscious and especially of deliberate action; the power of control the mind has over its own actions:
the freedom of the will.
[the] power of choosing one's own actions:

source :Dictionary.com

WILL
The doctrine that the conduct of human beings expresses personal choice and is not simply determined by physical or divine forces.
source : The Random House Dictionary of the English language

Will
the ​mental ​power used to ​control and ​direct ​your ​thoughts and ​actions,
source : Cambridge Dictionary

Let me try and help you see why your question is so stupid from a Christian perspective. We keep telling you that you are cutting down straw men. I want to try to demonstrate that for you (actually, for the benefit of the rest of the board, because I suspect you are an intractable troll incapable of processing what is being said to you, but even trolls have a use, and that use is to provide rational people with material by which to refine their own thoughts and ideas):

Consider the saints in heaven--or, for that matter, the angels confirmed in grace. These beings are impeccable, which means that they cannot do evil. They are incapable of sin. They can only do what is good and right. Now, many people assume, then, that such beings have lost their free will. After all, if you can't choose to do evil, then you don't have free will! If God somehow coerces you to do good, then you've made no choice (and some press that point further by saying that therefore the choice to do good, being no choice at all, renders the good done of no moral significance, and thus the saints in heaven are less saintly than the fallen believers of earth!). But such an argument only holds on your modernistic understanding of free will. In fact, understood correctly, the glorified saints are freer than any of us. The reason goes back to what I said before. Free will is not about the ability to choose good or bad, this or that. Free will nothing more or less than the natural capacity of the person to elect this good rather than that. Now, for you and me, our ability to elect this good rather than that is highly constrained. That's why Christians speak of The Fall. We deny that humans in this life are truly free, because we are in bondage to sin. What happens, in practice, is that we either are unable to see the good in something or else we think we see good in something that is not good. Moreover, because of our selfish natures, the good we seek is usually directed not to love (in the proper sense of the word) but rather only to self-"fulfillment." For reasons I won't go into here, that itself is sufficient to prevent us from actually electing a good at all, which is one of the reasons we are so inclined to sin.

But none of that applies to the glorified saints. Not only are they freed from the bondage of sin and thus tendency toward the self, but their intellects are purified so that they can see what is actually good, and they take part in what is called the Beatific Vision. Now the BV is nothing less than the Vision of God. They see Him. Now, God is Good. I'm not making a moral claim about Him. I am saying something about His essence. For reasons I don't have the time to explain here, Good and Being are interchangeable terms (so something is good to the extent it exists and to the extent it does not exist, that it suffers privation of being, it is evil). Moreover, He is Perfect Good because He is Absolute Being. The old, technical word is actus purus (Pure Actuality). God alone has this attribute. He is absolutely and necessarily good. All else is, necessarily, contingently and finitely good. Thus, when the glorified saints see God, they see Perfect Good. They cannot but will themselves to God.

And this is where you fail to understand what free will is. There is no coercion here. The will necessarily elects the good, and since God is the highest good, then the will--when it perceives God--necessarily wills itself toward God. And in willing the Absolute Good, it thereby wills that which closest to that absolute good.

Now, in all of this, I'm being a bit anthropomorphic. I speak of the will as if it is a person--as if the will were choosing. But that's not the case at all. It is the PERSON who chooses, and he does so by making use of many of his faculties. The senses perceive some good. The intellect makes a judgment as to a good. In abstraction, the intellect compares this good to that. Again, in this life, all goods are contingent, and thus no particular good is willed necessarily. But some goods are far more likely to be willed than others. If I offered you a million dollars or a sandwich, which would you choose? I probably know which that would be: the greater good. That's just how the intellect works, and the act of electing one to the other just is the act of the will.

That's why I said before: the will is the natural capacity of a person to elect this good rather than that. It is not the choice itself. The choice is the result of the will. The will is a capacity--natural in the sense that the capacity is rooted in what we are (rational beings). Understood this way, it's just absurd to suggest that there can be no determinative factor in free will. The will is the determinative factor! By nature, it determines this rather than that good. But the will, by nature, necessarily MUST will a good. The problem is that the will cannot perceive any good. That is the faculty of the intellect. So the intellect submits to the will what it has perceived--which requires interpretation of what it has perceived. And the person, in choosing what he has perceived here rather than what he perceives there, activates the will. All of this is true even where there is only one choice. If I say, "Pick a number between one and three, but the number can't be one or three," then your choice of "two" is still your choice. And you willed it freely. You perceived the good of two, and you willed that. You were not determined to will "two." Your will is fitted to an infinite number of goods--not two exclusively. And therefore, the willing of two is the determining of what was previous indeterminate. That's why we call the will "free." It is "free" in the sense that it is naturally fitted to any number of goods.

By the way, the intellect is "free" in this same sense. Our intellect is fitted to an infinite number of ideas. It is not determined to this or that idea.

And all of this is why that the saints in heaven, the confirmed angels, Jesus, and ultimately God Himself, are all much freer than any of us, even though they all (including God) necessarily will God and cannot fail to do so!

[Note: again, this was written for the rest of the community more than to Audacity. He cut bait and ran a long time ago. So I hope that you all find this somewhat helpful!
My interest in Audacity, besides being a teaching tool, is limited to my office pool of how much longer before he's banned . . . ;)]
Don't you wish. y[-o< "Please god, make him go away." ;)

Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I don't think you know what the word "faculty" means -- at least, not in this context.

But do feel free to google it and try to post a few more references to make it look like you do.
Audacity wrote:Don't you wish. y[-o< "Please god, make him go away." ;)
In the first place, it's entertaining enough that you seem to think I care one bit about whether or not you're here. The implication that in my mind you somehow merit me having any wishes concerning you just further demonstrates your reading comprehension skills.

Let me put this plainly and as gently as I can. You aren't a serious objector, nor are your "arguments" (to use the word loosely). You are, in a word, boring.

In the second place, if I were to decide to petition for your absence, it wouldn't be to God. As little as I care about you being here or not, I've got a feeling that He cares far less. But Rick or the other moderators, on the other hand, might have a say in the matter. Discussion guidelines and such things . . .

y~o)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Audacity
BANNED

Post by Audacity »

Jac3510 wrote:I don't think you know what the word "faculty" means -- at least, not in this context.

But do feel free to google it and try to post a few more references to make it look like you do.
Audacity wrote:Don't you wish. y[-o< "Please god, make him go away." ;)
In the first place, it's entertaining enough that you seem to think I care one bit about whether or not you're here. The implication that in my mind you somehow merit me having any wishes concerning you just further demonstrates your reading comprehension skills.

Let me put this plainly and as gently as I can. You aren't a serious objector, nor are your "arguments" (to use the word loosely). You are, in a word, boring.

In the second place, if I were to decide to petition for your absence, it wouldn't be to God. As little as I care about you being here or not, I've got a feeling that He cares far less. But Rick or the other moderators, on the other hand, might have a say in the matter. Discussion guidelines and such things . . .

y~o)
........................................................Image
Nicki
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nicki »

Audacity wrote:
Storyteller wrote:Audacity, please bear with me.

I can be slow on the uptake sometimes, but more fool you if you dismiss me for that butwhat, exactly, are you asking? How what? Free will works?
Yes. In short: How is it the will does this rather than that?...
As I said, by thinking, but are you wondering how our brains work in this instance? That's something to do with neurons connecting, isn't it? You mentioned computers - how they work is complicated as well!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Audacity,

You really would do yourself some good, if you tried to understand what Jac is saying. At the very least, you could then try to form your arguments against what we actually believe. Instead of your straw man argument.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

He can't, Rick. He's a dishonest person at his core, so when he sees something he doesn't understand, he genuinely doesn't stop to think that maybe he's mistaken. That he might be wrong, that he might not understand what he's critiquing, just doesn't compute. He's as blind as can be, a fool in the biblical sense of the word. That's why he cuts and runs. Do remember Prov 26:4-5 is in the book for a reason . . .
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Jac3510 wrote:He can't, Rick. He's a dishonest person at his core, so when he sees something he doesn't understand, he genuinely doesn't stop to think that maybe he's mistaken. That he might be wrong, that he might not understand what he's critiquing, just doesn't compute. He's as blind as can be, a fool in the biblical sense of the word. That's why he cuts and runs. Do remember Prov 26:4-5 is in the book for a reason . . .
Well, it is the path he determined to choose...

Funny how he asks questions because questions prove the existence of choice y:-?

Blindness is blindness... as they say
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Yes, and while we know that the blindness is spiritual, I've got a sneaking suspicion our misguided friend is driven in large part by some emotional process going on as well.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Gentlemen, let's try to keep this civil and not resort to name calling.
It is totally acceptable to point out the foolishness of an argument but it is not acceptable to call anyone a "fool".
It is acceptable to point out that an argument is not an honest one but not to call SOMEONE dishonest ( that is insulting a person's character and not to be tolerated).

I understand the frustration of dealing with someone that doesn't understand the argument they are trying to refute BUT at the sametime it also falls on us to TRY to lead them and, failing that, to accept that some people MAY never learn because they choose not to.

But TRY and be nice, ok?
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

I am being nice. ;)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Jac3510 wrote:I am being nice. ;)
In comparison to many of some of a few rare outbursts that you have posted, I agree. ;)
:mrgreen:
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Ok,

If this conversation continues, I ask all posters to please be respectful with your posts.

Can we all try to do that please?

-Edward R Murrow

B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

B. W. wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:He can't, Rick. He's a dishonest person at his core, so when he sees something he doesn't understand, he genuinely doesn't stop to think that maybe he's mistaken. That he might be wrong, that he might not understand what he's critiquing, just doesn't compute. He's as blind as can be, a fool in the biblical sense of the word. That's why he cuts and runs. Do remember Prov 26:4-5 is in the book for a reason . . .
Well, it is the path he determined to choose...

Funny how he asks questions because questions prove the existence of choice y:-?

Blindness is blindness... as they say
-
-
-
In the sarcasm, there is truth.

A simple multiple choice question disproves Hard Determinism.

There is a big difference between the free moral agency of choice and hard determinism.

In terms of God, he already knows the choice one makes before they ever were. He still permits this because he is just, and so just as to send forth a savior into the world so all will have a choice thrust upon them when before they had none that lead to salvation's reconciliation 2 Co 5:18,19,20,21...

He knows who will not accept, yet still, offers the chance. He can do with such as he so desires...

Problem is, people determine not to know God, and they use a wide array of reasons, arguments, and notions to do so. The there are those that wake up and hear God's call to return to Him...

y:-?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys