Where is the free in freewill?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Where is the free in freewill?

Post by RickD »

Audacity wrote:
RickD wrote:Audacity,

Do yourself and us, a favor, and reread this post by Jac.

Until you understand what you're arguing against, you're defeating a straw man.
I did, and replied right below it.

Sorry, but I don't know how to find the linking url to any particular post.
And again, Jac addressed your answer here.

If you don't understand what Jac is saying, politely ask him to explain it to you. Politeness goes a long way here. Jac is a really good teacher. He's dumbed down a lot of hard to understand topics for me.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audacity
BANNED
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audacity »

RickD wrote:
Audacity wrote:

And again, Jac addressed your answer here.

If you don't understand what Jac is saying, politely ask him to explain it to you. Politeness goes a long way here. Jac is a really good teacher. He's dumbed down a lot of hard to understand topics for me.
Then I feel a bit sorry for you. And to be fair to Jac, I won't say any more.
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

Audacity wrote:

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
Audacity
BANNED

Post by Audacity »

IceMobster wrote:
Audacity wrote:

Cool! Thank you very much.
Nicki
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nicki »

Audacity wrote:
Storyteller wrote:I meant what are the causes that precede and put into action.

The chain of cause/effect events in your life that ultimately led up to the moment of your doing.
In the case of will, I believe we have free will, something more than instinct. We question things. We get lost in the beauty of a sunset.
We have a soul, a spirit, that has the ability to do this, we have free will.
Fine, but this isn't what I'm asking. I'm asking how the will goes about deciding to do this rather than that.
By thinking about what's the best thing to do or what we want to do? For example, it's extremely hot around here right now; I'm not working all week and I was thinking about going shopping for something in particular. However, I didn't want to leave our dog out in the heat unnecessarily (I work at home so most of the time she can be inside), so I decided it could wait till the weather was a bit cooler. Sure, I was very influenced by an outside cause (the heat - literally outside) but I would have been free to leave the dog outside (she has to be out sometimes anyway) and go shopping.

I realised that what the others were saying about turning left or right was true as well - if there's a sign saying I can't turn right I make the choice to obey the sign - I'd be free to ignore it or even crash my car into a wall if that was to the right. Only being physically stopped would take away my choice to go any further! There could be different influences on my decision to obey or disobey a sign but ultimately at some point I'd make the choice.
Audacity
BANNED

Post by Audacity »

Nicki wrote: By thinking about what's the best thing to do or what we want to do? For example, it's extremely hot around here right now; I'm not working all week and I was thinking about going shopping for something in particular. However, I didn't want to leave our dog out in the heat unnecessarily (I work at home so most of the time she can be inside), so I decided it could wait till the weather was a bit cooler. Sure, I was very influenced by an outside cause (the heat - literally outside) but I would have been free to leave the dog outside (she has to be out sometimes anyway) and go shopping.

I realised that what the others were saying about turning left or right was true as well - if there's a sign saying I can't turn right I make the choice to obey the sign - I'd be free to ignore it or even crash my car into a wall if that was to the right. Only being physically stopped would take away my choice to go any further! There could be different influences on my decision to obey or disobey a sign but ultimately at some point I'd make the choice.
Understood, but it's missing the point of the how. How does the will decide to do this rather than that. I suggest you read or re-read my opening post.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Audacity wrote:
Nicki wrote: By thinking about what's the best thing to do or what we want to do? For example, it's extremely hot around here right now; I'm not working all week and I was thinking about going shopping for something in particular. However, I didn't want to leave our dog out in the heat unnecessarily (I work at home so most of the time she can be inside), so I decided it could wait till the weather was a bit cooler. Sure, I was very influenced by an outside cause (the heat - literally outside) but I would have been free to leave the dog outside (she has to be out sometimes anyway) and go shopping.

Understood, but it's missing the point of the how. How does the will decide to do this rather than that. I suggest you read or re-read my opening post.
And again, I point you to what Jac said about "how".
He wrote:
There's nothing, then, especially mysterious here. The will is a judgment. But that judgment is not predetermined to any particular good/end but is naturally fitted to many goods/ends. Therefore, the determination to this rather than that end just is what we call "free will." To ask "how" is to misunderstand what it is. "How" is answered by knowing what it is: the person makes a judgment and then wills in light of that judgment. Willing, like knowledge, is a natural power or capacity of the human, and that in virtue of his nature.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audacity
BANNED

Post by Audacity »

RickD wrote: And again, I point you to what Jac said about "how".
He wrote:
There's nothing, then, especially mysterious here. The will is a judgment.

A "what" is not a "how."
But that judgment is not predetermined to any particular good/end but is naturally fitted to many goods/ends.

Completely irrelevant because it fails to address the "how."
Therefore, the determination to this rather than that end just is what we call "free will."
This "therefore" is no more relevant than, 2 + 7 = 9, therefore pigs oink.
To ask "how" is to misunderstand what it is.
And this dodging the issue because one doesn't like, or can't answer the question is simply sad. The "what" is not the issue no matter how much Jac needs it to be.
"How" is answered by knowing what it is:
Like knowing what a computer is answers the question, "How does it work?"
the person makes a judgment and then wills in light of that judgment. Willing, like knowledge, is a natural power or capacity of the human, and that in virtue of his nature.

Nice, but the "how" still remains unanswered. This utter disconnect---insisting there is no "how," only "what"---is probably the worst I've ever seen.
Last edited by Audacity on Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Audacity, please bear with me.

I can be slow on the uptake sometimes, but more fool you if you dismiss me for that butwhat, exactly, are you asking? How what? Free will works?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Audacity
BANNED

Post by Audacity »

Storyteller wrote:Audacity, please bear with me.

I can be slow on the uptake sometimes, but more fool you if you dismiss me for that butwhat, exactly, are you asking? How what? Free will works?
Yes. In short: How is it the will does this rather than that?...
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Audacity wrote:

Because we choose.

Because we reason, rightly or wrongly, but we can choose.

That choice is free will.

Animals don't have free will, they don't choose. We do. Every day.

Animals act on instinct, so do we to a certain level, genetics and such. But we have something more. What is that, if not reason and free will?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Audacity
BANNED

Post by Audacity »

Storyteller wrote:
Audacity wrote:

Because we choose.

Wouldn't a choice be the result of exercising the free will, rather than being identical with it?

In any case, how is it your will came to "choose" A rather than B?
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

But to have that choice, you have to choose. You exercise free will. The freedom to choose.
IceMobster

Post by IceMobster »

Audacity wrote:
Storyteller wrote:
Audacity wrote:

Because we choose.

Audacity wrote: Wouldn't a choice be the result of exercising the free will, rather than being identical with it?
Yes
Audacity wrote: In any case, how is it your will came to "choose" A rather than B?
Certainly, there were some factors in play which "leaned" your mind to choose A rather than B, but, in the end, mind chooses this or that.
If I take a gun and shoot a random guy walking down the street right now, was I determined to do so? But if I don't do it was I determined not to do so? See, I can do any mentioned course of action which is why it is called free will and not just will.

Even though, having read your OP again, I guess the casual effect affected me in a way that all of what I said is pretty much irrelevant since I didn't answer the "how"...
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

It chooses because thats what it does, what it is.

Same way gravity does what it does, because thats what it is.