Why is it considered that God is good?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Philip
Site Owner
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Why is it considered that God is good?

Post by Philip »

I simply find the taking of innocent lives to be abhorrent. Evidently you do not.
If a child grows up amongst an evil pagan people, known for relentless war-like aggressions, massacres, enslavements, human sacrifices, and all manner of unthinkably cruel punishments, that child will be trained to view such practices as normal and to be expected, and desirous to take part in a continuation of the very same hideous things. And God will punish such people in their eternity to come, as He knows precisely that they will never change. So, whether or not such people die by the sword, or whether they live into old age, upon death, their fate is the very same - due to God's righteous judgment. But Scripture gives us good reason to believe that children killed are instantly in the arms of the Lord. Why? Because what God desires of them, righteous behavior, turning to Him, they are not mature enough to know the importance of. They are not mature enough to understand their sinful ways, or the terrible sins of their society. So, for such a child, one moment immersed in such a culture, and the very next, a three second sword strike brings them into the glorious arms of the Lord - FOREVER! Is that not far more loving than to allow them to continue in their heathen culture of constant despicable acts - perhaps themselves even risking being sacrificed to pagan Gods? Left to their own culture and society, such children will undoubtedly adopt the very same beliefs and practices that would eventually spiritually doom them.

OK, some might say, of such pagan children - why KILL them? Why not adopt them into Israel's society? I don't have a good answer for that, other than to imagine that God wanted ALL vestiges of pagan beliefs snuffed out - and older children particularly would have had their thinking very much infected by such pagan beliefs and practices. But, again, the sword strike we see as so unthinkable, is but an instant, a mere second, and next would be the beginning of a pagan child's eternal bliss and joy. And ONLY God has the right to command ANY life be taken, because He is the Life Giver. And God perfectly knows every mature pagan's heart, as to whether or not they will ever repent of their ways and follow Him. So, God views their physical destruction as only momentary, as pagan adults killed will not enter into eternal fellowship with God. Of course, this is true of ALL whom fail to embrace the Lord. But like the Trinity, where many verses reveal it to be what Scripture teaches, this idea of children being saved at death is implied by various places in Scripture. So, whether a pagan (whom God knows will never repent, never embrace Him) lives into a life of old age and dies in his sleep, or whether he is killed in an attack ordered by the Lord, God is focused on what He sees as being truly important - their eternal fate. And to God, HOW a pagan dies is of little importance, because their eternal fate is the real tragedy - and one brought on by their own choices as to belief and practices.
Audacity
BANNED
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audacity »

Philip wrote:
I simply find the taking of innocent lives to be abhorrent. Evidently you do not.
If a child grows up amongst an evil pagan people, known for relentless war-like aggressions, massacres, enslavements, human sacrifices, and all manner of unthinkably cruel punishments, that child will be trained to view such practices as normal and to be expected, and desirous to take part in a continuation of the very same hideous things.

Well, you can make up whatever kinds of fiction you want and say it applies, but the fact is, in Hosea 13:16 god killed innocent children and the unborn because the adults decided to worship some other god. And in 1 Samuel 15:3 god had the innocent infants and young children of the Amalekites killed because the adults tried to stop the Israelites from going to Canaan.

Thankfully, god stopped sticking his nose into the affairs of people or today we'd have little ones dashed in pieces and pregnant women ripped open all over the place. Gotta wonder why he stooped committing such slaughters. Think he finally has enough dead babies to last him for awhile?

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audacity wrote:
Philip wrote:
If a child grows up amongst an evil pagan people, known for relentless war-like aggressions, massacres, enslavements, human sacrifices, and all manner of unthinkably cruel punishments, that child will be trained to view such practices as normal and to be expected, and desirous to take part in a continuation of the very same hideous things.

Well, you can make up whatever kinds of fiction you want and say it applies, but the fact is, in Hosea 13:16 god killed innocent children and the unborn because the adults decided to worship some other god. And in 1 Samuel 15:3 god had the innocent infants and young children of the Amalekites killed because the adults tried to stop the Israelites from going to Canaan.

Thankfully, god stopped sticking his nose into the affairs of people or today we'd have little ones dashed in pieces and pregnant women ripped open all over the place. Gotta wonder why he stooped committing such slaughters. Think he finally has enough dead babies to last him for awhile?

Audacity,

I still have that free book for you if you are open to having an honest conversation. If you just want to attack your strawman version of God, maybe this forum isn't for you.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audacity
BANNED

Post by Audacity »

RickD wrote: Audacity,

I still have that free book for you if you are open to having an honest conversation. If you just want to attack your strawman version of God, maybe this forum isn't for you.
If my god is a "straw man" then perhaps you can tell me why. What is it I've said that doesn't comport with what the Bible says or can't be rationally deduced about him?

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audacity wrote:

If my god is a "straw man" then perhaps you can tell me why. What is it I've said that doesn't comport with what the Bible says or can't be rationally deduced about him?

I've gotten into these conversations before. And they don't go anywhere. It may be because those I've been discussing with, aren't really open to an honest discussion. Or it may be because I just don't explain it very well. That's why I offered you the book. It explains it much better than I ever could.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audacity
BANNED

Post by Audacity »

RickD wrote:
Audacity wrote:

I've gotten into these conversations before. And they don't go anywhere. It may be because those I've been discussing with, aren't really open to an honest discussion. Or it may be because I just don't explain it very well. That's why I offered you the book. It explains it much better than I ever could.
And I thank you for the offer, but right now I'm already reading a couple of books: MGM When the Lion Roars by Peter Hay, and The Second Amendment; A Biography by Michael Waldman. Plus, I'm taking piano lessons. I highly recommend Waldman's book.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Audacity wrote:

If you TRULY want to know AND are open to hearing the other side, then yes, let's discuss,
But if you aren't...
Audacity
BANNED

Post by Audacity »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Audacity wrote:

If you TRULY want to know AND are open to hearing the other side, then yes, let's discuss,
But if you aren't...
Don't particularly need to discuss anything. I just want to know:

Now, if you can't tell me without having a discussion then I suspect you're more interested in discussing rather than informing. Not saying it couldn't turn into a discussion, but first things first.
ICOYAR
Acquainted Member

Post by ICOYAR »

The reason being, God created the Universe, and it's rules.

It is not up to the creation to determine what is "good", because otherwise, it creates chaos, and without acknowledging that morality without any proper source of authority, would thus be subjective, and therefore, would vastly differ from person to person.

It is one of the main reasons why atheistic communists and fascists have murdered more than 150 million people ever since 1917.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Don't particularly need to discuss anything. I just want to know:
Here is the thing, you MUST take the WHOLE of the bible to understand what is actually happening in the bible.
You aren't.
You are taking a narrow and limited and flawed view that is based on personal bias and misinformation and then creating a God from that so that you can disproves THAT god's existence.

You can NOT deduce ANYTHING about the God of the bible until you understand the worldview of those that wrote it.

You have taken the 21st century epicurian and naturalist view of things, added a skewed mix of judeo-christian moralism and then topped it off with erroneous understanding of scripture to conclude that the God of your own making is a Tool and in that WE ALL agree.
The god that YOU have created based on all that "baggage" is a tool.

Thankfully for us, that god doesn't exist.