So the future decides the past!

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

So the future decides the past!

Post by neo-x »

A most illuminating read, very fascinating!
http://secondnexus.com/technology-and-i ... -the-past/

You must read upto page 3, the last one, where it becomes much easier to understand, don't skip pages though.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: So the future decides the past!

Post by RickD »

Wow that's extremely fascinating. It completely changes the way we should look at the world around us. If true, it completely turns all we've learned up until this point, upside down.*

*Could someone tell me what this article means? I have no idea what they're talking about.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
SoCalExile
Valued Member

Post by SoCalExile »

It's almost like there's an omniscient intelligence that exists in multiple dimensions of time controlling it all...

...hmm...
God's grace is not cheap; it's free.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

SoCalExile wrote:It's almost like there's an omniscient intelligence that exists in multiple dimensions of time controlling it all...

...hmm...
Reminds me of this quote:

That which has been is that which will be, And that which has been done is that which will be done. So there is nothing new under the sun. Is there anything of which one might say, "See this, it is new"? Already it has existed for ages Which were before us, Eccl 1:9-10 NASB

Then there is this verse in chapter three:

That which is has been already and that which will be has already been, for God seeks what has passed by. Eccl 3:15 NASB,

You think they proved all this true then?

Will they ignore the next verse in chapter three? Eccl 3:16,17
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

Rick, let's start with the double slit experiment. Tell me if you do not understand something in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

1over137 wrote:Rick, let's start with the double slit experiment. Tell me if you do not understand something in this video

I don't understand why he's wearing a "Q" on his superhero uniform. y:-?

But seriously, I understand what the video is saying. But how do they know it's the act of observing that is causing the difference, and not simply that whatever is observing is in some way affecting the way the particles react?

They're making it sound like some kind of intelligence is at work within the particle. Why can't it just be interference?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

Might I cryptically suggest that neither observations the article is talking about nor the double slit experiment mean what people, and scientists in particular, think it means? This is just one of the many places that Descartes has messed us up, and it points to a concrete example of where bad philosophy/theology is creating bad science, and where good philosophy/theology would lead to better science. I'll say more later (when I have internet at somewhere other than work!), but for now, just try googling "thomism double slit experiment" or "thomism quantum mechanics." Interesting stuff, even if it is, of course, rather technical . . .
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Rick

Check this video out - this explains it quite well.

Basically it implies that materialism may not be the most accurate description of reality - which is good news for us theists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C5pq7W5yRM
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

RickD wrote:
1over137 wrote:Rick, let's start with the double slit experiment. Tell me if you do not understand something in this video

I don't understand why he's wearing a "Q" on his superhero uniform. y:-?

But seriously, I understand what the video is saying. But how do they know it's the act of observing that is causing the difference, and not simply that whatever is observing is in some way affecting the way the particles react?

They're making it sound like some kind of intelligence is at work within the particle. Why can't it just be interference?
Yes, they are making it sound like that. But I think it is because of whatever is observing affects the particle. Not some intelligence.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 103110.htm
If one chooses to believe that the atom really did take a particular path or paths then one has to accept that a future measurement is affecting the atom's past, said Truscott.

"The atoms did not travel from A to B. It was only when they were measured at the end of the journey that their wave-like or particle-like behavior was brought into existence," he said
Notice that the first sentence starts with the "if". I do not look at the experiment that way. What scientists may only say is: we observed this or we observed that. What is really going on - maybe some future theory will explain. Quantum theory is just set of rules and when people tried to understand it, they said: do not try tounderstand it and rather calculate. It is weird (but very succesful in applications) theory.

#foreverinmyheart
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

B. W. wrote:
SoCalExile wrote:It's almost like there's an omniscient intelligence that exists in multiple dimensions of time controlling it all...

...hmm...
Reminds me of this quote:

That which has been is that which will be, And that which has been done is that which will be done. So there is nothing new under the sun. Is there anything of which one might say, "See this, it is new"? Already it has existed for ages Which were before us, Eccl 1:9-10 NASB

Then there is this verse in chapter three:

That which is has been already and that which will be has already been, for God seeks what has passed by. Eccl 3:15 NASB,

You think they proved all this true then?

Will they ignore the next verse in chapter three? Eccl 3:16,17
-
-
-
Wow! That is exactly what popped into my mind also.I was going to post the same verse until I realized you already did.Solomon nailed it,too bad witchcraft got in his way.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Isaiah 48:3 " I have declared the former things from the beginning; and they went forth out of my mouth,and I shewed them\ caused them to hear it;I did them suddenly,and they came to pass.

Revelation 22:13 " I am Alpha and Omega,the beginning and the end,the first and the last."

Hebrews 11:3 " Through faith we understand that the worlds framed by the word of God,so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear."
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.